Apple Cider Vinegar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar was mentioned somewhere on another post. So I am curious. What is it? Is it in a pill form? Is it something you would drink? *shrug* Someone fill me in please!

Originally posted by AnneLouise View Post
    Apple cider vinegar was mentioned somewhere on another post. So I am curious. What is it? Is it in a pill form? Is it something you would drink? *shrug* Someone fill me in please!
    It's just vinegar made from apple juice. It's the brown-colored vinegar you can buy in any supermarket, as opposed to the white-colored kind.

You can get better quality apple cider vinegar at a whole foods store or co-op, and if you're using it medicinally it's probably worth the higher price.

You drink it. The suggested dosage is 2 teaspoons (give or take) in a glass of water (cold or hot). Honestly, it doesn't taste bad at all!

It's also available in capsule form.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar

Comment

I'm now taking 500mg of Apple Cider Vinegar 3X a day. From what I've read one of the capsules is equivalent to two tablespoons.

I googled Apple Cider Vinegar with several autoimmune diseases and thought it worth a try. ACV contains a large amount of Malic Acid, which if you also google with several autoimmune diseases shows some interesting results

Then when you consider you need Malic Acid to make Fumaric Acid, and Fumaric Acid is shown helpful in the autoimmune disease Psoriasis, and the new BG12 drug is derived from Fumaric Acid and already used for Psoriasis, I think there is validity to ACV as a home remedy.

Braggs ACV is the brand to buy because it is raw, organic and not processed, distilled. When you process ACV it removes the benefits.

Taking ACV, honey and cayenne pepper in a tea is reported beneficial for many conditions.

Comment

Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar is a good brand, but it's not the only one of that quality. I use Eden, which is also "raw, organic and not processed, distilled."

The downside to taking capsules is that if one were to get lodged in someone's throat or esophagus it could cause tissue damage. The capsules should be taken with plenty of water.

I'm a fan of ACV myself, but there are some potential side effects and contraindications. The article linked to below covers them thoroughly.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/appl...cidervineg.htm

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
          I'm now taking 500mg of Apple Cider Vinegar 3X a day. From what I've read one of the capsules is equivalent to two tablespoons.

I googled Apple Cider Vinegar with several autoimmune diseases and thought it worth a try. ACV contains a large amount of Malic Acid, which if you also google with several autoimmune diseases shows some interesting results

Then when you consider you need Malic Acid to make Fumaric Acid, and Fumaric Acid is shown helpful in the autoimmune disease Psoriasis, and the new BG12 drug is derived from Fumaric Acid and already used for Psoriasis, I think there is validity to ACV as a home remedy.

Braggs ACV is the brand to buy because it is raw, organic and not processed, distilled. When you process ACV it removes the benefits.

Taking ACV, honey and cayenne pepper in a tea is reported beneficial for many conditions.
          I have heard of all kinds of benefits with this and I also take Braggs, 2 Tbs. I think it is pretty nasty but it especially helps with my post-nasal drip and all the phlegm in my throat (I have allergies, including dust and cats and live with plenty of both). Perhaps the capsule isn't a bad idea, but I take so many of those already. I've mixed it in Tetley Green Tea as well for extra health benefits and to dillute it, but the combo is rough on an empty stomach. If you do the tea thing, eat something, too, or you could get an upset tummy!
          Tawanda

Comment

A little ACV in water after a meal provides an acid boost to help digest the meal.
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

Is anyone else using their apple cider vinegar to make a nice vinaigrette for their veggies/salads with some delicious extra virgin olive oil and some seasonings? Since I'm already going to the trouble of making a salad dressing, the extra step of adding ACV to water and drinking it is an extra step that's just too fussy for me.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes, I think my ms has progressed so, that I wonder what can really help. But I still do what I can, and I like natural stuff.
                I will look for a raw, unprocessed apple cider vinegar. There is a whole food store nearby.

Comment

I hate to say, the way I eat my lettuce and spinach is in an avocado. I just put it together and eat it all day. I make the avacodo my salad dressing so to speak.
                  It's not bad, I would have to have my acv in water as I just could not do anything but a creamy ranch dressing. Ha ha.. I am bad like that...
                  I use that Braggs apple cider vinegar. I am gaining weight eating so good and never felt worse it's just the meds)
                  Look out future... things will change one way or the other LOL

Comment

Redwings, YES! I love my home made dressing, I use acv, flax seed oil, a little tahini, garlic, and braggs gluten free soy sauce. Tastes great on top of greens with a little sushi ginger and salmon and avocado :-) yum.....this is making me hungry!!

Comment

Hi all you MSer's ,
                      This is my first reply, been reading this stuff for several years. i find it refreshing that many of you realize that there must be a diet component to this disease. Has anyone heard of Dr.Terry Wahls ? What about Dr. John MacDougall or Dr. Roy Swank ? These people seem to have had some meager success treating this disease. Maybe they're on to something. I was Dx'd with PPMS in 2009, and was offered to go with Copaxone. Since there is no FDA approved treatment, I found a doctor who practices 'integrative' medeicine. He is a 'real' MD, but 'integrative' like Dr. Andrew Weil so I thought at least he won't prescribe all the toxic stuff. I hope all of you find the best stuff to treat this 'Monster', I will be seeking the alternatives before I will go with 'A,B,C's'.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                        Hi all you MSer's ,
                        This is my first reply, been reading this stuff for several years. i find it refreshing that many of you realize that there must be a diet component to this disease. Has anyone heard of Dr.Terry Wahls ? What about Dr. John MacDougall or Dr. Roy Swank ? These people seem to have had some meager success treating this disease. Maybe they're on to something. I was Dx'd with PPMS in 2009, and was offered to go with Copaxone. Since there is no FDA approved treatment, I found a doctor who practices 'integrative' medeicine. He is a 'real' MD, but 'integrative' like Dr. Andrew Weil so I thought at least he won't prescribe all the toxic stuff. I hope all of you find the best stuff to treat this 'Monster', I will be seeking the alternatives before I will go with 'A,B,C's'.
                        Welcome to MSWorld, Jerry! Glad you decided to sign up and start posting!

Copaxone, Rebif, Avonex, Betaseron + Tysabri & Gilenya are approved by the FDA as DMDs (Disease Modifying Drugs) for MS, and BG-12 has been fast-tracked for approval too.

That being said, some people do choose not to take any of those medications, preferring to use alternative methods. And other people do take a DMD, but augment it with complementary treatments such as nutrition &/or supplements.

If you feel like reading more in this forum, there's plenty of discussion of Dr. Wahls, Dr. McDougall and Dr. Swank, as well as Dr. Jelinek. Some of it can be found by searching for their names, and some by searching for the diets they created (example: Best Bet Diet or BBD = McDougall).

Comment

Hey JerryD - Welcome from just up the road in Devon, PA.

Comment

Hey knuckle !

Hi to you knuckle,
                            my 'Integrative Medicine' doc is in Devon Park. I was a basket case before I found him. He got me on LDN, so now, at least, I sleep a few solid hours.
                            Thanks for the contact. I don't get around much on the PC, but I am learning.

Comment

Martin Mulders, MD correct?

I get my LDN through my neuro, but Mulders may be an option for the future. My neuro really doesn't do much for me other than renew my Baclofen, 4-AP and LDN prescriptions once a year.

Anything he suggests for MS you use?

Comment

Working...
                              X