Avonex - Vs- Rebif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex - Vs- Rebif

I was DX in December and was on Copax for three weeks with 5-8 inch hives. My neuro had me stop and go back on Prednisone. Now, I have to decide on what meds next. I am 38, work FT as a teacher, and have a three year old. I also take Synthroid for underactive thyroid. I need some suggestions on what to try next. I guess Copax didnt work because I have extremely sensitive skin and already get hives due to allergies. I really am looking for something that hopefully works, but I can manage the flu-like SX. I have heard that Tylenol can elp. Any suggestions at all would be highly appeciated!!!

I have chronic hives, extensive allergies, etc. and never got hives from Copaxone. I'm glad they are switching you! I suspect it was more than just sensitive skin.

I just started Rebif, and I have to say that I feel like heck on it. Some people don't notice much; some of us feel like we've been kicked between the shoulder blades at the lowest end of the titration.

If I were working FT, I'd probably try Avonex before one of the other interferons to maximize your chances of feeling good on teaching days.

Comment

Everyone has their own prefence, but the only one I have been on is avonex, I have been on it about 9 months and the first few shots were the worst, but even now if I don't hydrate well and take something before hand I still get flu like symptons just not as bad as the first few. The injections I have my bf give me and he does really good, its funny I can give myself B12 injections but just can't use that bigger needle on myself. Good luck with your choice. Oh and I do my injection on Friday night that way if I do have flu symptons its on the weekend.
      Anita

Comment

I take the Rebif. My choice was based on fewer shots than Betaseron or Copaxone and the smaller needle from Avonex. All I can say if you go with one of the interferons is stay hydrated and take something like ibuprofen or Aleve beforehand. I do not take the Tylenol beforehand because the Rebif can monkey with the liver and so can the Tylenol. Good Luck with this.

Comment

I take Rebif and do fine on it. No flu like symptoms or anything and normal site reactions (red circles). But, I don't have sensitive skin like you so you may react different.

I take Aleve before my shot and drink a lot of water on shot day. Sometimes I take Tylenol PM as well...but, I don't think I need to as I never had any sx, even in the beginning. If you do, many people say it gets better after a few months...

If you are choosing between Avonex and Rebif and are also worried about how your skin may react (hives are horrible!), maybe Avonex would be better since it goes deeper? Maybe less skin reactions since its not given so close to surface?
          dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Avonex is my choice. Take aleve before and at bedtime. Shot nite is Thursday and I never had to miss work on Friday. Sometimes need more aleve on Friday. Have never had any reactions from the needle. I inject slowly.
            Good luck!

Comment

I was only given a choice between Rebif and Betaserone. I went with the Rebif purely for the fewer number of shots! I was taking tylenol before each injection but have found that I only really need it the morning after my shot. I feel kinda crummy the mornings after my shots but I am much better by the afternoon. I have very pale and sensitive skin and get red marks about a week after each injection. I rotate my injection sites and they don't bother me at all. Best of luck to you!
              Julie
              DX 11/9/11
              Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

GOOD NEWS

DOC TOOK ME OFF COPAX AND PUT ME ON REBIF. NO PROBLEMS SO FAR, BUT STILL ON 8.8 MCG. PRAY IT STAYS THAT WAY - NO HIVES, NO FLU SX!

Comment

I started on Avonex. While the first shot was horrible, they got easier. I would do it before bed, and I would sleep through the worst side effects; I would be fine from then on.

They switched me to Rebif because Avonex wasn't working. The Rebif shots HURT. And while I didn't have terrible side effects, I never felt "great." After 3 months, I had to go off of it because my liver wasn't processing it.

Out of those two, I preferred Avonex. I am now on Copaxone, and I hate having to do the shot everyday. I think you will just have to try and see what works for you.
                  Melody
                  Diagnosed 1/28/10

Comment

Since you have such sensitive skin, the best would be the intramuscular shots. The shots really don't hurt. I get the smaller needles and with training there is rarely ANY pain or discomfort with them. It shouldn't affect your skin that way.

Comment

Sensitive skin? Then you'll want Avonex. It's the least reactive with the skin since it's an intramuscular injection. It's also a lower dose of the same medecine as Rebif. Although it may sound more sensible to take the stronger stuff, nothing's actually been proven to slow progression any more than avonex. Plus, you can always switch up, as Melody did. That said, if you are a non-responder to Interferon, it tends to make sense to go to copaxone or somthing else, rather than take more of the same stuff.

Things are easier with Avonex now as well. There is a titration pack which allows you to start on a smaller dose. The one drawback is that you take all you flu symptoms (remember the headache, chills and body aches) in one shot. Somehow it's harder to take it once per week.

There's also an auto-injector which is going to really simplify things.

Good luck. Let us know which you choose and how you do.

Hi Melody! Glad to hear from you.

Comment

My main concern was the site-injection reactions which was why I went with Avonex.

I take ibuprofen after the injection just before bed. So far so good

Hope things go well with whatever you choose!
                        Dx RRMS 2008/Kesimpta Feb 2023
                        UNbalanced Dog Trainer - Accredited pet dog training instructor

Comment

Working...
                        X