Betaseron-butt injection hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betaseron-butt injection hurts

Does anyone else have issues with their butt injections? Believe me, I have junk in the trunk so it's not for lack of fat in the area, but I scream in pain on the days when I have my shots there. All of the others I can handle. Is this strange?
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

I have had two. The first due to hand shaking , bent the needle and in and out many times , so not surprised. Yesterday though , my daughter gave me one that is just now not hurting. Really more than a sting feeling. Had steroid shot on other side earlier with no pain. No answers here but glad to find out my daughter not mad at me.

Comment

I use to use beta and it was horrible. Burned, injection site pain, flu like symptoms even after I pre medicated, bruising, I mean you name it. Didnt matter where I did the injection, it hurt. I finally quit it after about 9 months.

Comment

For me, it's the thighs that hurt and I think I have plenty of room for them there. But, it hurts like **** to do shots there for me.

But, my butt (right cheek) was super sore after one shot for weeks. I gave it a break for for a couple weeks, rubbed a ton of Arnica gel on the area, and now it's fine.

Could be that your butt is more sensitive than other areas?
        dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Shot

Maybe so. What is arnica gel?

Comment

Arnica Gel

Its a homeopathic medicine/gel derived from Arnica Montana. People use it as a topical treatment for pain, stiffness and bruising. I rub it on after my shots and in the mornings after my shower.

For me, site reactions go away much quicker with it. Witch hazel is good too.

You should be able to find it at the drug store or health food store
            dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

I am on Copaxone, but asked the nurse if I could do the butt as it seemed there would be plenty of "real estate" there..

She said no as the butt is almost all muscle. I wonder if the shot was too deep and hit muscle or is Beta supposed to go in muscle??
              Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
              Ampyra 10mg 2xday
              Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

jbell , Just wanted to say , no , Beta is not supposed to go into muscle. When it does it is a whole nother feeling. I quit giving myself shots in lower back of arms because not enough fat there (All the fat is in my head).

Comment

I have been on beta now for 5 mos and only do shots in my arms, belly and butt. I can't do my thighs because it is too painful and my beta nurse said to eliminate that area if it's too much. I would talk to your nurse but I really don't think that if it hurts that much you should do it thre. Just take that out of the rotation.

Good luck to you
                  Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
                  RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
                  Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

I have been on Beta for years. Butt shots are the best for me. Cause my husband does them with the autoject. He stays more to the outside of direct sitting area. The only pain is during injection. Within minutes there is no more tenderness. I don't do belly or arms not enough real estate. Can't auto-ject myself I react to the snap and shoot Beta all over my carpet.

Comment

For me it was my arms that hurt too much, so I don't do that area anymore. And my thighs seem to have the worst site reactions so I use those infrequently.

That leaves only belly & butt - not much but we make it work!
                      DX 10/2008
                      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Beta

I have been on Beta for 2 weeks and I have to do my first butt injection tonight. The diagram shows its more of my low handle then my butt. How far up my back do I go?

Comment

Try to stick to the "love handles" area.
                          Beta and muscle go together like turpentine and a cat's rear end (OK, that's a pretty old reference, just try not to get Beta too close to muscle tissue).
                          I also have troubles with thigh shots. If I get too close it kinda feels like one of those really deep sunburns and can last a week or more.
                          You could also check your "saddle bags" area as a possible shot location but I have a lot more luck working around my abdomen.

Comment

Shots

My dr took me off of the thigh and butt rotation. We were doing them right where he said we should and it was just too painful. I do them in the arm even though they leave huge welps, and he made a larger scale area on my abdomen to do the shots on. I'm having a lot of issues on the Betaseron though so he is about to take me off of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X