In light of the Whitney Houston thing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In light of the Whitney Houston thing..

I have to say I've been on and off Xanax for about 3 years now. My prescription is 5 mg. I have never, never taken a whole pill. I cut them in quarters and that little bit goes a long way.

It helps me with insomnia, pain (yes pain) and anxiety. It doesn't do a LOT to help these symptoms, but it does get me thru.

Does anyone take this drug? What are your results? Can you tell me about taking them with other meds? I cut all my meds in half (at least). I'm very small and react to meds easily.

The med issue has always been one I've had a hard time figuring out. Which ones to take together or a few hours apart. How often? Best meds for individual symptoms. Night or day? Which ones to avoid. Thanks for the help.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I take Xanax also. My rx 1.0mg x2 daily. I take one at night to help me sleep. The other I take on as needed basis. It can be esy for us to pop a pill when we start to hurt or we are having some anxiety over what is happening to us. But the doctors trust us to act as responsible adults and use the medicines as prescribed.

What some people do, as Whitney did, is use them recreationly for the high and for some added euphoria wash them down with alcohol. That is a rx for death. Now I will say there are times when I enjoy a cold beer, glass of wine and the occassional martini. But I drink one maybe two and that's it. If I happen to drink them close to pill time I skip the pill.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Comment

5 mg is a pretty fair dose of Xanax. It's good that you don't take it all at once.

Xanax is notorious for two reasons. First, it's a very widely prescribed drug; and secondly, it's among the most habit-forming. Although it's really only supposed to be prescribed for a short time, many people speak of using it for years. To make matters worse, its effect normally diminishes with regular use, relative to the dose you're taking, which means that patients often begin taking more to get the same effect. By the time they become aware that they've become physically and psychologically dependant, it's usually at a much higher dose. That makes getting off the drug a lot more difficult and, in some cases, dangerous.

My advice - don't get in the habit of taking Xanax (nor Ativan or Valium) for too long.

rex

Comment

I just picked up clonazapam for nighttime spasticity. I cannot wait for my half pill to kick in. This pain is overwhelming.

I used to enjoy an occasional cocktail, I never had more than one because my goal was to relax, not get lit.

Since my Dx, I have had no alcohol and do not miss it or desire it. I am going to work toward a cleaner living approach. I'm sure it will be difficult to give up certain things and modify diet and behavior, but I'm willing to try and have a strong motivator.
        Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I think I typed my xanax dosage wrong. My script is for .5 mg not "5 mg". So this is much smaller than originally reported to you guys. And I cut those in quarters and take as needed. Thanks again.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Benzo.. Yes.. if it gives me a quality of life while living with MS.

Originally posted by kingrex View Post
            5 mg is a pretty fair dose of Xanax. It's good that you don't take it all at once.

Xanax is notorious for two reasons. First, it's a very widely prescribed drug; and secondly, it's among the most habit-forming. Although it's really only supposed to be prescribed for a short time, many people speak of using it for years. To make matters worse, its effect normally diminishes with regular use, relative to the dose you're taking, which means that patients often begin taking more to get the same effect. By the time they become aware that they've become physically and psychologically dependant, it's usually at a much higher dose. That makes getting off the drug a lot more difficult and, in some cases, dangerous.

My advice - don't get in the habit of taking Xanax (nor Ativan or Valium) for too long.

rex
            I guess its dam if you do dam if you don't when advising don't take a benzo for too long. Then what do you do for on-going muscle tightness, stiffness, spams, etc. Take the other drugs which have their share of side effects, etc. which some people cannot tolerate.

People with muscles tightness, spams, etc are looking for a quality of life... some people with MS will be on some type of muscle relaxant, etc for the long haul.

I wish my doc would tell me don't have MS issues too long.. but as we know that's not the case - its not up to us as to how long we will have ms issues.. its all up to the our bodies.. so some people with MS, unfortunately, may need to take some type of muscle relaxer, etc. for the long haul.

I have been on a small dose Ativan for about a year - 1/2 .5mg took that for almost a year.. just recently started taking 1/2 2x sometimes 3x a day... which is still a fairly low dose. On rare occasions, I take 5mg valium... very rare. But if I find the Valium will help more than the Ativan, I will switch to Valium... Tried other meds, not for me (baclofen, flexeril, etc)

Ms. Jay

Comment

Not to cast aspersions at Whitney, but I think she was on a lot more than half a Xanax.
              Don't mix your prescription drugs with alcohol, or cocaine, for that matter.

Comment

Working...
              X