so i go gluten free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so i go gluten free?

so i have heard all the hype over GF and dairy free diets. i am not considering going dairy free, but after college i may consider a GF diet.

i have never really had digestive issues. i have maintained my current weight, give or take 5 pounds or so for 5ish years. I do have fatigue but it didnt hit till 2-3 years ago. i also don't have pain.

so idk if i should go GF.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

That decision is up to you.

Try a site called Direct MS for lots of information that may help you decide.
    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

I agree with TwentyMiles; the decision is up to you.

Tara recommends that all her clients go gluten free. She's a highly qualified professional nutritionist, so I respect her opinion. In fact, I'm gluten free myself (although I made that choice before I joined MSWorld).

On the other hand, of the various diets designed specifically for people with MS, some are gluten free and some aren't. You can read about them online or in books to get an idea of the reasoning behind each one.

My personal recommendation is The MS Recovery Diet by Ann D. Sawyer and Judith E. Bachrach (book and website). It's similar to the Direct-MS website mentioned in the previous post.

You might want to spend some time reading older threads in this forum, paying particular attention to posts by Tara on the subject of gluten. Here's how to search for Tara's posts:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108668

Comment

Like Sequoia, I too was gluten free before I started coming here. My choice had nothing to do with my weight or my digestive system, just my MS. Pretty much everything I read encourages this, so while it might not be scientific fact I think it's a pretty important component. There are lost of great gluten free recipes out there, good gf all purpose flours, pastas etc. so you don't necessarily feel deprived. I thought it would be hard to do, but it really hasn't been too bad- just a different mindset and the awareness of all the surprising places gluten lurks.

On the dairy free issue, I think I'm going to take Tara's advice- don't cut it out completely, just make sure you are consuming cultured dairy products. I'm also cutting down on cheese, but not eliminating entirely since I don't intend on giving up pizza

Don't overwhelm yourself- just eliminate the gluten for a while, then dairy, then other things if you want to. I went gf after reading up on it, then my neuro told me I had to go artificial sweetener and high fructose corn syrup free. Again, hfcs lurks in some really surprising places. I've just recently begun to reduce dairy and legumes. Of all of it, I think the hardest was giving up the artificial sweetener- I was a diet soda/crystal light/splenda in my coffee addict. One day at a time

Good luck with whatever you decide!
        Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

Go for it!

And if its a question of "ease" because you're in college....no excuses....my 18 yr old son is maintaining his GF status - eating dorm food. (no health problems)
          NutritionTara
          Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

I had toyed with the idea of going GF for awhile. After reading things here, I finally took the plunge. I have been GF for a month or so and it is completely unreal how much better I feel! Truly. It is worth the effort IMO. So many recipes and great products out there. I did cut my dairy by 3/4 but don't intend to eliminate it all together.

Thank you to Tara and the others here who are so supportive.

"I'm not sure what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us,he will not ask,'How many good things have you done in your life?' rather he will ask,'How much love did you put into what you did?"—Mother Teresa

Comment

Once I made up my mind to do this, I mean really do this it's not hard.
              JUST DO IT. I make up a salad add an avacado NO I STILL can't spell it.
              That makes it filling 2 roma tomatoes and 1 whole onion.
              It takes me all day to eat it.
              One banana and one yogurt not artifcial sweetner the real stuff.
              there is nothing in my day there to even cook.
              Since your in the public.. you can just CUT the onion out..
              or make up half a fruit salad.
              I keep it simple. I have a gluten free pizza I am dying to make. This is getting to be fun

Comment

Good for you Cinderelly! Let me know about the pizza- I've tried a couple of gf pizza crust recipes and haven't been totally thrilled- they've been kind of cardboard-y. I still ate them though- didn't want to feel too deprived Plus the leftovers provide me with lunch for 3 more days. Lots of veggies and sauce, little cheese. Yum!

Comment

college is an excuse because it is a small college in a small town.
                  Learn from yesterday
                  Live for today
                  Hope for tomorrow

Comment

This crust is made out of cauliflower.

Comment

Are you kidding me? Do you have the recipe? I know you can make mock mashed potatoes with them, but pizza crust???

Maybe I'm naive and you are kidding me. But it would sure is a happy thought!

Comment

Never mind, just found the recipe on the other thread- can't wait to try it!!!

Comment

Let us know what you think, Tink. We had pizza tonight. I hit a crash after the jalapeno cornbread last Friday, followed the next night by mac-n-cheese with breaded tenderloin (hub's cooking is always loaded with gluten). Oh man, has this week been energy drained.

I'm going to have to mention again what this gluten-free thing is all about and ask for his support in doing it. Otherwise, he'll get offended if I don't eat what he makes. No more mac-n-cheese, pizza and fried tenderloins.

Do you know how many people out there don't know that pasta and breading are made from wheat grains? They think it comes from boxes! lol
                          I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Jumpin- I don't know that he has to change his cooking as much as just change the ingredients. There are some really good rice pastas out there as well as gluten free all purpose flour mixes. I made boneless buffalo wings last week coated in gf flour and no one knew the difference.

If you want to email me, I can let you know the brands I have found that I prefer the most. That being said, it is more expensive so if cost is a factor, I can certainly understand that.

**email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld guidelines. go to UserCP > Edit Your Details to put in your profile**

Comment

Gluten-free breading for buffalo wings? Ooooo. I like the sound of that. It's more the distance and special trip required to get the items. Cost is a factor too, as are the crowds at the store. Plus, some of the products out there are either terrible or stale.

There seem to be some duds that end up making expensive chicken and dog snacks. It would be nice to be able to sort through them more easily. I do not carry the X-linked love-for-shopping gene and I hate wasting money and effort for disappointing results.

Email is in my profile as well. Thank you!
                              I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
                              X