No announcement yet.

Do you ever use your "MS card"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bell- I think you need to do whatever is best for you. I don't think the doctor squeezing you in was that big of a deal- they found the time- if it hadn't been there, they wouldn't have seen you. Hindsight is 20/20- what if it had been something more serious? Everyone would be praising you for having such great insight into your own body.

I have a disability hanger in my car. At first I didn't even want to get it but a friend reminded me it was about safety, not about being disabled. The first time I used it I felt guilty when I got the dirty looks since I look "fine". Then I remembered that no one but me knows how exhausted I am after walking the aisles at the grocery store, how unsteady I feel. You know you best. Trust yourself
    Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

Just wanted to volunteer to be the the new Roast and give Jbell a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Jackson View Post
        Just wanted to volunteer to be the the new Roast and give Jbell a break.
        Wish I could "like" your response
        Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

Hi Jbell, I hear you, and I get it. I might not use the term "MS card" and maybe that is where the controversy came in, but it is easier to blame the MS at times, or use it in a reason, when someone without MS might not. When I was first diagnosed, I certainly felt like I needed a flu shot more than someone who did not have MS, and I was my own advocate--explained that I had MS, and eventually got one (during the shortage, when they were reserved for high risk individuals)....I believed strongly at the time that I needed one. Come this year (two years later), I opted not to get one. Live and learn. I am a work in progress.

If I can't make an evening commitment, or am too tired to go out with friends, you can be darn sure I point to the MS, (MS card?) or at least let them know I would have loved to have gone if it weren't for my fatigue. Bc The old me would have loved to have gone out. (on the flip side, if i don't want to go in the first place, i decline off the bat...with no mention of MS at all) Or if I am too tired to spend time with my husband after work or need help with the kids, and just need to go to sleep. MS Card. Or whatever you want to call it. He loves me, but it is easier to blame the MS, than think *I* don't want to spend time with him, or I am being a neglectful mom. Often I don't even need to mention MS by name, but be it my hip, back, fatigue, memory....close friends and family know what it means. I think if we practice being honest and true (as it seems you were...), it's not an MS card, so much as just being honest and true to ourselves (and others) and doing what we think is in our best interest. Sorry to run on a tangent...but I appreciate your post and it helped me with a bit of introspective thinking myself. Warmest wishes!! Marleigh

Comment

THANK-YOU

:
            Originally posted by AnneLouise View Post
            Ms may have eroded my brain, but antibiotics are not for colds or viruses, correct? I am under the impression that they are for infections. I dread antibiotics because I don't need a yeast infection!! I used to work with a guy that went to the doc for antibiotics every time he got a cold. I guess he didn't want to deal with it. "What are you going to do if you really get sick?" He would just shrug me off. A cold will last a least a week. That's the way it is.
            1st of all, please do not hesitatate to post whatever is on your mind. I believe that, @ times, written words do not come accross the way that they were intended. I certainly hope that no one took offence at what you said; and if so, it would be his/her problem, not yours, yes?

2nd, we do what we need to do to... to function with this illness. I do; and I dare say the same applies to anyone who posts here.

The reason for my quote: I cannot stress this enough!!! NO PHYSICIAN SHOULD PRESCRIBE ANTIBIOTICS W/OUT A BLOOD TEST OR A URINE TEST THAT CONFIRMS THE PRESENCE OF A BACTERIAL INFECTION. AN ANTIBIOTIC DOES NOTHING FOR A VIRAL INFECTION. WHAT IT CAN DO IS MAKE YOU RESISTANT TO ANTIBIOTICS WHEN YOU NEED THEM-- TO THE EXTENT IT COULD COST YOU YOUR LIFE.

Another huge problem with the over prescribing of antibiotics is the resistance that is occuring accross the board and the pollution in our water--- so everyone is concuming them.

The same is true w/anti-bacterial soaps= RESISTANCE TO STAFF INFECTIONS,ETC. Soap and water is what should be used unless one works in a hospital setting.

PLEASE--- everyone check my statements for facts; and if you have children, insist that their pediatrician check for an actual infection before giving them an antibiotic.

Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to talk about this issue.

REMEMBER, TALK ABOUT ANYTHING THAT'S ON YOUR MIND. WE HAVE MODERATORS TO FILTER CONTENT, SO DON'T WORRY. HEY, I'M A SOUTHERNER AND IF MY FEELINGS WEREN'T HURT?...... PLEEEESE!!!

Shalom,
            Suzanne
            You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

Jbelle, I wanted to pop in here and give you a hug. I don't have MS, but caught a bug in the fall and alongside it was the most painful flare yet. I do still have the diaphragm spasms from that one, more frequently than they were before. They're almost every morning lately (although less that with the flu bug, thank goodness). It did leave a mark.

If in the same situation (and area), I would probably call first. Unless it was one of those things that occurred to me on the way through, in which case, I would at least try it. There was one time I was able to get a script for Tamiflu the Friday before a Monday surgery. Friday morning I woke up with a fever, and by the afternoon I was down at the pharmacy picking it up. It worked a miracle, I was able to go ahead with the surgery and a couple of weeks later it came back with a vengeance.

Docs usually work hard to fit in people who are sick and in distress. It sounds like this situation qualified regardless of the MS. You did what you believed was best for you and it all worked out. Good for you, being an advocate of your own health and well being.

If ever not able to get in our docs office here (which is quite a drive, to be honest) there is an urgent care center nearby that is there for just this purpose. No MS card needed.
              I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Hello. I didn't know I had a MS card to play. Whoo-hoo! Now I'm livin' large!

All the doctors (3) and the dentists (1.5) and the staff at the hospital and the chemist know I have MS anyway.

So when I ring, which is not often, they will do their best to see me, or order scripts, or whatever.

Maybe they're just being nice to me because I have MS. And MS is a serious thing to have. Infections, whether viral or bacterial, don't do us any good.

There are that many hypochondriacs on earth who wangle appointments through general non-stop complaining, I wouldn't feel too bad about mentioning MS.

Oh, and mothers who pull the baby card at every opportunity to get to the head of the queue.

Can we talk about religion and politics next?

All the best jbell.

Comment

No I have not and hope I never have to.

Comment

Hmmmm....

About the time I think "No, not me", a memory comes to mind.

Once I was at a mall shopping and suddenly had to go to the restroom.
                    I went to the ladies room and was dismayed to find 4 or 5 women waiting in line! !!!!

I waited, hoping that the line would quickly move.
                    Unfortunately, that wasn't happening.

I hated it, but spoke up and asked if I could please be the next person to use the bathroom. I stated that I have a disease called Multiple Sclerosis and it affects my bladder.

The ladies were very nice and said I could go ahead.
                    I felt stupid mentioning that I have a disease that causes great urgency, but it was either that or wet my pants in line.

So, I guess I have before. Not by choice, but out of necessity.

IMO, there is no shame in speaking up for ourselves.
                    I did what I had to do.
                    Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do was get that personal with complete strangers.

Comment

Jbell2345

I personally don't think you did anything wrong and I will tell you why.

I, like you, started to feel sick. I saw the doc right away ( I was lucky enough to get in ) and he gave me a z pack. 5 days later I still felt bad so I went back and they gave me steroids and antibiotics. The next day I could hardly breathe and went to the ER. They admitted me with asthmatic bronchitis FOR A WEEK.

So my point is its your body and your health. No one but you is going to take care of you. We do not have normal immune systems. Our bodies are not like everyone else's

Take care and don't worry about it. We all are entitled to our own opinion.
                      Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
                      RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
                      Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

I feel the need to post again...

as my last post was brief.

The problem I have with jumping the line at the doctor's office by waving the MS flag is that EVERYBODY has some reason to think they're an exception.

The elderly, AIDS patients, cancer patients, single parents of small children and tons of other groups have just as much of a claim to being special and requiring faster care as we do.

I mean I get really wanting to be seen out of turn, I'm completely incapacitated by fevers, but I just think that by everyone demanding special treatment, whatever their ailment is, that we all become a little bit nastier and more selfish. And that makes me sad.
                        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

JBell what you did was 100% correct.

JBell what you did was 100% correct. I learned the hard way, that I need to be exactly like you, because no one is going to take care of me, except ME. So, everyone please be exactly like Jodi, and take care of yourselves. That is what I now do, and it is very helpful. I used to be very dumb. Several years ago, I was in the emergency room, filled out the paperwork, and they called me back immediately. I looked around and saw a room full of people waiting before I arrived. So I said, "These people were all here before me, so I should not go in before them because I have MS." And the nurse said, "Mam, we're not taking you back because you have MS, we're taking you back because your blood pressure is 50/30. See how stupid I was. JBell, you were exactly correct. You are very smart in knowing how to take care of yourself. And I'm posting this so everyone else realizes to be just like JBell and please put yourself first.

Comment

Originally posted by aitch10 View Post
                            as my last post was brief.

The problem I have with jumping the line at the doctor's office by waving the MS flag is that EVERYBODY has some reason to think they're an exception.

The elderly, AIDS patients, cancer patients, single parents of small children and tons of other groups have just as much of a claim to being special and requiring faster care as we do.

I mean I get really wanting to be seen out of turn, I'm completely incapacitated by fevers, but I just think that by everyone demanding special treatment, whatever their ailment is, that we all become a little bit nastier and more selfish. And that makes me sad.
                            Just to reiterate, I did not "jump the line", there was no one in the waiting room, and I waited until they took me back. I also was not nasty, selfish, or demanding, had they denied my request to see me I would have just left and gone home and hoped for the best unless it got worse and then went to UC or Er.

I agree with you if I had been in ER and there were several others worse off, I would have wanted them seen before me...they are trained to "triage" patients based on their medical knowledge. I am glad they took you right away!
                            Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
                            Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                            Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you did. Luckily I havent had to use 'the card', but if I had to I think I would too. Its your health and you are totally responsible for caring for yourself. You had to do what you thought you had to to get in to see your doctor. Nobody's perfect, not even the ones bashing what you did. Its a good thing you got in when you did, you never know, it could have gotten much worse if you waited and then who knows, you could have saved yourself a trip to the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by jbell2435 View Post
                                Just to reiterate, I did not "jump the line", there was no one in the waiting room, and I waited until they took me back. I also was not nasty, selfish, or demanding, had they denied my request to see me I would have just left and gone home and hoped for the best unless it got worse and then went to UC or Er.

I agree with you if I had been in ER and there were several others worse off, I would have wanted them seen before me...they are trained to "triage" patients based on their medical knowledge. I am glad they took you right away!
                                I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that you behaved in a nasty way. My response was aimed more at the "Do what you've got to do for YOU and screw everyone else" responses in this thread, and not to your original post.
                                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X