No announcement yet.

Why are my feet always cold???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Ive had a complete cardiac workup, blood tests all the way to an angiogram, did the lung thing too and all tests came back perfect. So as for my cold as ice feet, doc is chalking it up to the MS. Nerve damage from my 2 flares that were so close together and so severe.

Comment

Originally posted by muse_7 View Post
      To piggyback on JK's't post, I believe they were refering to Reynauds which can cause extreme cold in fingers and toes.

I am always cold as soon as the weather drops below 65 degrees. So about 8 or 9 months of the year. But my normal temperature is low, 97.6 degrees. I don't know if it is a symptom of my MS or is autonomic dysfunction. But it is one of my easier to deal with symptoms (I just bundle and keep blankets on the couch) so I haven't bothered to find out what is causing it.

My son has it too and says my hands are so cold I may be dead and not know it lol. If you are really trying to find out what is causing it I would look into the 2 above and also low thyroid function.
      i have a friend with the reynauds..her fingers,toes,and nose turn black when she is cold! its crazy!

Comment

I am 100% sure that the ice cold feet are a MS flare. I have been dealing with for about 2 months now. They feel like my feet are soaking in buckets if ice. Am reading a book on natural treatments for MS and the author had the same problem. I met with a Naturopath and am now on a serious vitamin/supplement regime. Feet are not cold anymore, despite still dealing with flare symptoms. maybe try coQ10, Vitamin D (which MUST be taken with calcium), B Complex and Fish Oil.

Comment

Reason I brought up the capillary thing is because my thighs went numb first and it was and has been them that are the coldest ever since then.It was about 4 years ago now and feet and hands did wind up that way too.

Comment

Mine go in the other direction and switch between being numb to being on fire
            Cheers
            Kathy
            2004 pos/MS 2006 Pos/MS also Pos/Crazy 14/01/2012 here we go againDx RRMS 21/06/2012

Comment

Originally posted by ggray4462 View Post
              I am 100% sure that the ice cold feet are a MS flare. I have been dealing with for about 2 months now. They feel like my feet are soaking in buckets if ice. Am reading a book on natural treatments for MS and the author had the same problem. I met with a Naturopath and am now on a serious vitamin/supplement regime. Feet are not cold anymore, despite still dealing with flare symptoms. maybe try coQ10, Vitamin D (which MUST be taken with calcium), B Complex and Fish Oil.
              It seems to be a fairly common misconception that Vitamin D must be taken with calcium in order to be utilized well. In fact, it's the other way around. Calcium must be taken with Vitamin D in order to be utilized well.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/health/az1042.pdf

From the article: "Calcium absorption is dependent on an adequate level of the active form of Vitamin D." There's actually a danger of taking too much calcium if you're also taking large amounts of Vitamin D. The result can be hypercalcemia, in which calcium is deposited in the soft tissues of the body where it doesn't belong. This can be dangerous, although it's usually reversible if the supplements are stopped.

If you're interested in vitamins/supplements, you might want to check out the "Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Notebook" forum.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Comment

cold feet can mean thyroid problems

My doc told me cold hands and feet can mean you have a thyroid condition. Have you checked that out? A simple blood THS test can determine if your thyroid is over or under active.
                ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
                Dx the first time: 10/25/11
                Avonex 1/12-10/12
                Revaluation of Dx 10/12
                Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

My cold feet were most definitely from my initial MS symptom flareup that led to my diganosis.

My entire left leg and foot went cold within 3 days.

Over the past three years, they have greatly improved but are not yet totally normal.

I think it's important to note that the feet/leg are not actually cold, so be careful how you are heating them up as you can injure yourself easily. In my case, heating them up did no good whatsoever...

The actual cause of the cold feeling is likely somewhere inside your spinal cord or brain. Thus, warming up your feet with hot compresses etc. will simply never make a difference if your nerves no longer conduct the sensation of warmth.

Regular docs call that kind of symptom "neuropathy," which, yes, is common in diabetics so they may want to make sure you are not diabetic, too.
                  Diagnosed October 2008 with Relapse Remitting MS (RRMS).

Comment

Yes.

Along with everyone else, I've had cold feet. It comes on rather quickly and then spreads up to my knees and then my whole body. TSH is normal. Cardiac workup normal. The only thing that works for me is to put clothes and blankets on and turn up the ambient heat in the room or ask my husband to sit near the tub with with me and I fill it up to the chin in warm water. WARM BATHS CAN BE DANGEROUS to someone with MS and I would NEVER do this without him there to help me. After I warm up, he has to pick me up because I can't get up out of the water myself but then I am finally warm. Peripheral neuropathy is one of the causes of this. There is a fact sheet on it here: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/p...neuropathy.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X