Why are my feet always cold???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are my feet always cold???

Ive had MS for 20yrs, but since this past October it has kicked into a gear Ive never experienced before. Over the years Ive had very small flares, not even worth going to the doctor for. They always were very mild and gone in a few days.

Well, October of 2011 changed all that for me. I went from working full time and completely independant one day to a concrete jello mess the next. I am using a walker and a use a motorized cart when shopping because I cant walk for long.

The newest member of my symptom "family" is cold feet. They wont stop being cold.. I use heating pads on them, socks and slippers, heating blanket and the stubborn feet wont warm up. Ive noticed that the cold is spreading up my legs and stop at my knees.

Ive actually been sitting here with a portable electric heater faced right at them for almost 2 hours now and they are still ice.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this just another MS symptom to enjoy?

I suppose it could be MS related, but circulation seems more likely (in which case a visit to your PCP is in order). Do your feet look any different?
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Yes, yes, yes! My feet are ice cubes! Always cold. Socks, shoes, slippers. Slippers and socks with shoes. Heating pads. Actual fire. The only time they are toasty warm is when I'm in bed at night. Then they are perfect. My sister-in-law, who is an acupuncturist, has heating lamps that warm them up but it takes a long time. But, yeah, it's a way of life. Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you. And they weren't always like this. A few years, maybe?

Comment

The rule of thumb for me, especially when tent camping, was: "If your feet are cold, cover your head". Guess what, it works indoors just as well. Has to do with heat loss in the extremities. I just cover my head with my blankets at night, leaving a large enough hole to let fresh air in. Works like a charm! Probably why folks use to wear night caps in days of yore....Pleistocene Era I think. Worth a try anyway.
        Me
        "I'm not limping!! I'm just favoring each leg differently!!"

Comment

Cold Feet

My mom has had this problem for about 20 years. She was diagnosed with "peripheral neuropathy". One of my 1st symptoms with MS was cold feet. I felt like I was walking on bricks. Personally, I think my mom probably has MS, but she's 78 and doesn't care to find out. Look into peripheral neuropathy. Hope you start to feel better soon. This disease pretty much sucks.

Comment

My feet issues started in ~ 5 years ago. I've had MS for 24 years now. I don't know if they're always cold or always on fire. All I know is they hurt 24/7.

The neurologist says it's MS. The PCP says it's peripheral neuropathy. Of course, neither one has been able to fix the situation. I really don't care what the cause is. It's really really annoying.

So far it hasn't interfered with my mobility. I still work and nobody knows I have MS or any other issues.

Tom
            "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
            - Voltaire

Comment

CoQ10 has greatly helped my cold feet and hands as well as my BP.

Based on reviews I tried Qunol’s Ultra CoQ10 from Walmart, and personally I like it. Plus I just got a 4 month supply/bottle this week end for $28, I think they lowered it price.

P.S. I recommend Googling CoQ10, and seeing all the stuff it’s good for. When I started it I figured if it helped even just one of the clams it would be worth it.
              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Doctors all say different things

It was interesting to read these posts. My symptoms have been cold feet and then aching feet if I'm on them too long. The neurologists I've recently seen at Mayo say those symptoms are not a symptom of MS. People with MS have no feeling in their feet or a pins and needles feeling. No room for other symptoms apparently.

The peripheral neurologist I saw last week felt the same way as the neurologists. Plus, the fact that I could feel a sharp instrument he ran along the bottom of my feet meant I did not have peripheral neuropathy.

Go figure.

Comment

My feet are constantly cold. I haven't been able to sleep without socks on for years now!
                  MS Diva
                  (Well-behaved women rarely make history. Just a heads-up for ya...)

Comment

neverin my life have i had cold feet..last few months my feet and hands are very cold.. i know i dont have circ problems. i mean why all of the sudden? my arms r on fire and my feet are cold?? wondering if it might have something to do with 1 of the meds? adderol,gabopentin,lamictal,tysabri???

Comment

pj,

is it possible that your feet are cold because your mobility has changed from your flare in october? if you are having difficulty and therefore not walking much or for very long distances then your leg muscles are not assisting with circulation or creating kinetic energy anymore which might be causing cold feet for you. i have always had ice cold feet as well and sympathize with how uncomfortable it can be.
                      dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

I also have icy cold feet...but.. it goes up my legs sometimes creeping up to my thighs. I also get an icy cold Right hand when working on my computer. Sometimes its both hands for no reason.

Had a cardio work up and told both my PCP and my MS doc and know one seems to know what it is, but its NOT cardiac or vascular it seems.

Hmm..

Jan
                        I believe in miracles~!
                        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Gotta ask,isn't there something about capillaries (small outside blood veins) opening and closing some to help regulate your body temp? Science class about 40 years ago.That could explain something,they have to be run by something.

Comment

To piggyback on JK's't post, I believe they were refering to Reynauds which can cause extreme cold in fingers and toes.

I am always cold as soon as the weather drops below 65 degrees. So about 8 or 9 months of the year. But my normal temperature is low, 97.6 degrees. I don't know if it is a symptom of my MS or is autonomic dysfunction. But it is one of my easier to deal with symptoms (I just bundle and keep blankets on the couch) so I haven't bothered to find out what is causing it.

My son has it too and says my hands are so cold I may be dead and not know it lol. If you are really trying to find out what is causing it I would look into the 2 above and also low thyroid function.
                            I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

mine is definately reynauds. my toes AND fingers are always cold. they sometimes (usually) get so cold, they hurt. my whole family is riddled with it. my sis, my niece, an uncle, a cousin, and me. we are a small group too (18 total and 11 are middle school or younger).
                              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                              volunteer
                              MS World
                              hunterd@msworld.org
                              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                              X