Absolute Rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolute Rubbish

Forgive me for the length of this rant. Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds this insane and ridiculous! I have been off work full time, on LTD and CPP Disability for the past 5 years. I have RRMS and have not had a steroid-worthy flare since Jan/09.

I was given the OK by my employer and neurologist to attempt to go back to work, starting at 2 x 4 hour shifts per week. I began this paperwork process last September.

I just found out yesterday, after involving my insurance company and CPP, that my so called trial return to work won't be happening due to beurocracy. It was explained to me this way... in the world of LTD disability, there is no grey area; it's either black or white. Either I'm disabled or not.

If I choose to try to return to work, it is with the insurance/CPP's understanding that I will be officially returning to full time work, beginning with a few hours and a back to work plan to increase hours until full time. If I go ahead with this and can't increase my hours (which will most likely be the case), I'm considered a part-time employee and part-time employees aren't eligible for benefits and I'll be cut off!!!

What kind of rubbish is this? I'm not in denial about my MS; I don't play it up and I don't downplay the seriousness of it either. I count my blessings that I have LTD benefits that provide an income even though it's 66 2/3% of my salary, and even more importantly, my meds are 100% covered (not to mention those of my big family, and our dental, glasses, etc.).

Only a kook would take this kind of a chance when dealing with such an unpredictible disease. Needless to say, I'm totally bummed and not going back to work. It's no wonder so many MS patients suffer from depression. "The system" has backed me into a corner and has now forced me to stay home.

I don't want to sound petty and ungrateful but this just sucks and I don't get it (the B.S. not the M.S.).

Thanks for letting me rant.
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

I would think even if they did allow you to do the part time work they would of have deducted what ever you made from your normal LTD payment so what would you have gained by returning? I can see thier point to a certain extent why should they pay you LTD if you are saying you want to work again, how many people ( not saying you are)would abuse a system where they get LTD and return to part time work just to make up the 33% difference amd just not work anymore than that?
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I do agree with you Scooter, there are many people who abuse the system. Not only do people go back to work to make up the 33% and not work any more but there are people who fake their way back to work and then sue their employer/insurance co. because they weren't ready to go back and became more ill. Those people really anger me; I am so "by the book".

Returning to work was more of a self-esteem thing, I don't know how to "not work" very well. Plus my current LTD rate is based on my pre-disability salary (2005) and those hours that I would have worked would have been based on what my salary was when I went on LTD (2007). It's not much but every penny counts.

Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

I have worked since I was about 10 yrs old on, so we are talking a little over 40 yrs, I don't have a problem with not working any longer, but I am volunteering a few places so I still feel like I am still working to a certain extent but can just name my own hours now. Might be something to look into for you.

Most charitable organizations always need volunteers, I help out in the office 1 day a week for 4 hours at Habitat for Humanity doing computer and paperwork, I help run 2 golf tournaments a year and do thier flyers and online sign ups, and generaly any thing they need me to do that I can do on the phone and on line and any thing that needs to be handled with the golf course along with working the sign in desk at the tournaments also. I spend a few hours a day twice a week at a local youth golf program working with the kids during the summer school vacation and also for the tournaments for the kids.

There is plenty to do out there if you ask around and it gives you a feeling of accomplishment.

Comment

I will definitely take your suggestion and go forward with a positive attitude. I have started making a list of the positives of not working and surprised myself how easy the page filled up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
            I do agree with you Scooter, there are many people who abuse the system. Not only do people go back to work to make up the 33% and not work any more but there are people who fake their way back to work and then sue their employer/insurance co. because they weren't ready to go back and became more ill. Those people really anger me; I am so "by the book".

Please pull your head out of the sand and look around.
            You will see more people that have been ripped off by insurance companies than people that have scammed the insurers.

It seems like when they are selling the policies they are telling us, "Relax, You are in good hands". "We are behind you all the way."
            But should you file a claim you will very quickly find those "good hands" are on your hips.(and they are still standing behind you!)

Insurance companies make alot of money refusing to pay claims but at the same time are always crying fraud and acting like victoms.

Do a little research and you may find the greatest most profitable people that commit insurance fraud are actually in the insurance industry.

It is foolish to trust the insurance industry.
            Be careful about going back into the work force. Your insurance carrier's biggest objective is closing your case and getting you off their books ASAP.

Comment

I thought this forum is "patients helping patients", not "patients insulting patients".

Comment

It is not meant to be insulting.
                It is to demonstrate that the insurance company is not on your side.

If you work at all; they want to say you are no longer disabled.
                (you are cleared to work two 4 hour shifts per week and they twist that into a cause to close your case.)

They pay 66% of your income and it is frozen without any cost of living increases.
                As time goes by things cost more but income does not change.

If you take great care of yourself and get to a point where you can earn a few bucks (money you may need after 5 years frozen on reduced pay) the reward is to deny you disability benefits.
                Most people are not lazy. If you find something to do part time they(insurance companies) can use that work as an example of how you are not disabled.
                Everybody knows a part-time job is not enough money to live on and comes no where near replacing a career but if you should work part-time...many insurance companies will say you are just too lazy to work full time and cancel your benefits.

Just trying to point out that insurance regulations are put in place to save insurance companies money.
                They care very little about what is best for us. (the damaged workers)

Insurance companies, (for the most part) try to paint themselves as the good guys that are always being scammed by lazy people trying to exploit them.
                They know sick people have no lobby and little power over them and they exploit that power everyday.

My whole point is to encourage you to be very careful when dealing them and when contemplating working part time.
                If you give them a window to do you wrong...they will almost always take it.

Please do not take my view as an attack.
                It is a very strong warning to always watch your back when dealing with any disabillity insurance company. They are very powerful and dangerous. It is a mistake to expect help or cooperation from them.

Most abuse of the system is not from lazy people but from the insurance companies making it difficult for sick people to do all they can do.

Again, sorry to insult you. It is not my intension to add to your pain in any way.

Comment

I don't see anywhere that he was insulting you, he was stating his opinion on insurance companies and was saying to watch out going back to work as they may drop you off LTD completely. Not sure how you read it.

Comment

I'm a bit oversensitive, especially lately. Sorry for taking some well meaning advice as an insult.

I know that the main purpose of my insurance co is to get my *** off insurance. It was my Employee Health Services dept (not H/R) who warned me that if I couldn't get back to full time hours, insurance co will cut me off as part time employees don't qualify for benefits = my decision to not go back at all.

I just think the rules are crazy stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                      I just think the rules are crazy stupid.
                      I agree!

Trying to work after I was unable to do my previous career almost cost me everything.
                      It led to a nightmare that lasted almost four years and in the end cost me a couple hundred thousand dollars.

Shocking and sick. (hense the strongly worded warning)

It is difficult to imagine how badly the deck is stacked against us until we live it.

Comment

Wow, I hope that after your nightmare was over that something worked in your favour; sounds like a horrible experience and it probably took its toll on your MS as well.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and wisdom, it makes me feel a bit more content with my decision to "retire" at 46.

Comment

Hi Catmom,

I'm just new and reading through posts, I hope this isn't too late to be responding.

What you're experiencing is all too familiar to many disabilities. We fall under a subset of pwd known as episodic disabilities, this includes, arthritis, diabetes, mental health, addictions, hep c, muscular dystrophy, and hiv/aids and more. There is a working group of episodic disabilities that was established to address common goals. Income supports are a key issue.

There is no magic bullet here (yet) but they've done a lot of research, recommendations and presentations to the feds, insurance companies etc. You may find reading some of their publications gives you a better idea of the situation.

Nuts. I'm not allowed to post urls yet. Let me try to fudge it. www dot hivandrehab dot ca/EN/resources/episodic_disabilities.php

The MS society is involved but it's being championed by the HIV/Aids people.

We're not there yet, but the problem is recognized. Hopefully some of this will help you navigate your choices.

Comment

Working...
                          X