No announcement yet.

Has anyone applied for short term disability through employer for depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone applied for short term disability through employer for depression

Well, I was only diagnosed a year ago. And, I did inform HR via a letter that I found on the MS society website.

I have been lucky in that a) I have excellent insurance and b) that my symptoms have been somewhat minimal..

I threw myself into work when I was diagnosed and I was working 60 to 70 hours a week. Of course, this killed me in that I had absolutely no energy on the weekends.

Well, fast forward a year later. I got an excellent review for this past year. However, my boss did not submit me for promotion as promised and I was absolutely devestated. He was on his way out of the door of the company... And, just didn't bother... (backstabber)

I feel that I sacraficed so much over the last year. And, now I am terribly depressed. I guess partially due to this betrayal and the other part with coming to realize that I need to take my health/quality of life a little more seriously. My new directors have been understanding in my underperformance the last couple of weeks due to my depression/MS and my former bosses betrayal. However, that won't last forever. I dread going to work every day.

i am seeing my Psychiatrist this week since I am obviously in a depressive state. I feel that I need to take some time to just focus on on me and get my head screwed back on right.. So, am I crazy to want to go on short term disability (my work has excellent benefits for this-100% for 26 weeks and then 75% for the next 26 weeks) for my depression for a few weeks (and I do mean..just a few weeks) ? I just feel like I need a short breather. (I don't think I every really dealt with my dx a year ago...I just starting taking meds and threw myself into work) I have worked so hard to build up my career and I don't want to screw it up. I know the best thing for me long term is to work as long as possible.

I am so conflicted. I also do not understand the process at all for my work...Although, I retrieved some of the information from online.

Anyone have any ideas? suggestions?

Tx.

jmel

Yes, i did go on STD for anxiety and depression. It was actually just before I was diagnosed, but the symptoms were obviously gaining momentum and taking their toll on me emotionally. I was (still am) seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist. The psychologist wrote the reason/reco for the leave to my insurance company and they approved it, no question. My doctor recommended playing up the anxiety in the reco. She thought there could be room for negative impacts to emphasizing depression symptoms. The symptoms are so closely related for me, that it wasnt really an issue to play it that way. You could ask your doctors perspective on that.

Its good that you are seeing the Dr. Its very likely you will get a lot of relief from some medication. And then perhaps a leave wouldnt be necessary. I also highly reco regular cognitive therapy to accompany the meds. Especially as MS does specifically affect our cognitive abilities.

Be well.

Comment

Sounds very familiar

I could have written your post myself. Very similar situation, except my previous boss was promoted and left in mid-November. Managed a very busy branch of a major bank (15 employees) by myself for 6 weeks, 56+ hours per week. New Mgr arrived Jan 3rd. Total control freak. Her constant micromanaging has caused unbelievable stress for me. I walked out 2 weeks ago and went on short term leave. I am supposed to go back to work on Wednesday but the very thought makes me very anxious. I am a single mom of a soon-to-be 14 yr old girl and I feel like I've been neglecting her for work, for what? I have been very lucky. I was diagnosed 10 years ago and have had very little disability at all. I know that stress can trigger flare-ups and I am scared to death.

Comment

Working...
      X