Cymbalta???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shellos8 View Post
    I'm surprised his doctor is letting him take Cymbalta and Citalopram at the same time. I've been taking Citalopram for about a year and just started Cymbalta yesterday. The pharmacist and my neuro advised against taking the Citalopram any longer because it can have adverse effects when taken with Cymbalta. SSRI vs. SNRI.
    That's one of the things I was referring to when I said in a previous post, "I smell trouble."

There's no extra pain-relieving ingredient in Cymbalta. The duloxetine in Cymbalta is the pain-relieving ingredient, just like citalopram is the pain-relieving ingredient in Celexa, by nature of how they both work in the nervous system. Cymbalta/duloxetine may work better on pain than Celexa/citalopram, but that isn't because Cymbalta has a pain-relieving ingredient and Celexa doesn't.

Comment

Btw, I am experiencing side effects of the Cymbalta already. Stomach pains and nausea. I'm hoping they go away soon. Obviously after only one dose I don't know if it's going to work for my pain but I sure hope so!
      I was on 60 mgs of Cymbalta for nerve pain, and I never got over the nausea. Sometimes it was as bad at the morning sickness I had when I was pregnant with my daughter. The plus side, it caused weight loss, which I needed from the weight gain from the Epilim I'd been taking before making the switch to Cymbalta.

I found it to work, it makes my nerve pain more tolerable.
      Diagnosed July 1st 2009 ~ RRMS

They're not brain lesions...they're bight ideas

Comment

I have been taking Cymbalta for years. It does help with nerve pain and improves my mood, No side effects except occasional constipation (which could be from other meds).
        Like all medications Cymbalta affects people differently and some can't tolerate it.
        Been taking Avonex since June 96
        For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
        Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

Good news here: the nausea and itching only lasted 2 days. The only side effects now are dry mouth and a slighty more "amped up" feeling, like I've had a little more caffeine than I need. lol I can deal with those side effects!

Comment

I have been wanting to find out more information about Cymbalta as my PCP suggested this drug as a possibility for pain, and may help for fatigue.
            Presently , taking a low dose of Gabapentin at night and one dose in the day. I really don't like taking medications but this may really make for better days.
            Maybe it is worth a try... I just worry about side effects!
            Do people find it better than Gaba?

Comment

Cymbalta, where have you been all my life!

I'm bumping this thread because my Doctor put me on Cymbalta last week. I told him, I'm not so much 'depressed', as I am just kind of bummed because I cannot do anything that I used to love to do because I hurt so badly all the time, and I'm tired of feeling like a slug because all I can do is sit around and watch everyone else have fun!

I've only been taking it a week at the 'starter' dose and so far I feel about 60-70% less pain than I used to. I still have some pain, and maybe always will, but this is like heaven compared to the way I was feeling.

Maybe I can hope to get some of my life back! It's not been so much the mobility issues that put me in a rocking chair, but the pain that I would feel if I tried to push through it.

Comment

My neuro originally switched me to cymbalta from effexor for my depression but told me that it might help with my nerve pain also. It worked much better as an anti-depressant and I did notice a slight difference with the pain. I can't tell anything major but I'll take anything I can get to help in that dept you know! lol I don't have any side effects but I will warn you to be sure not to miss a dose. I accidently ran out once and missed a dose. I couldn't believe missing only 1 60mg pill could throw me for such a loop! I won't do that again!

Comment

Great thread, just in time..

Hi everyone!
                  My doctor told me yesterday that he thought I should try cymbalta, and I told home I would go home and research it first. It would be combo pain and depression. I have not had much depression with my MS but a bit when the going gets tough with fatigue and pain, I just feel flat.

So I'm on celexa ( citilopram) and use bupropion as well, but for energy. I expect to go off of the celexa, but I wonder about buproprion? It really gives me good energy and I'm not sure if I can take that with cymbalta?

Shellos8 how are you doing with cymbalta now?

Comment

I love my Cymbalta. I'm on 120mg a day, i'v been on it for a couple of years. I'v had no side effects whatsoever. The only thing I have to really watch is I don't run out because if I miss a dose later that day I am a crying mess. My mood plummets VERY quickly without it.

Comment

Thanks lilypilly, how does it work for cogfog?

I'm definatlely going to give this a try.

Comment

I still have my cog fog moments.

Comment

I'm on 120mg for fibromyalgia and depression. It takes awhile. I've noticed a difference in my depression and slowly noticing it with my pain, but I've been on it for almost 2 months and still feel chronic pain most days. No bad side effects for me except insomnia so I have to take it in the am
                          RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

I'm surprised his doctor is letting him take Cymbalta and Citalopram at the same time. I've been taking Citalopram for about a year and just started Cymbalta yesterday. The pharmacist and my neuro advised against taking the Citalopram any longer because it can have adverse effects when taken with Cymbalta. SSRI vs. SNRI. I'm weaning off the Citalopram for the next 2 weeks.

Btw, I am experiencing side effects of the Cymbalta already. Stomach pains and nausea. I'm hoping they go away soon. Obviously after only one dose I don't know if it's going to work for my pain but I sure hope so!
                            Shelly's, I'm doing exactly the same starting today. Would you keep us posted on your experience please. I don't know quite how to wean off celexa, but I'm thinking of cutting the tabs into 1/4 and going to three quarters one week then half then one quarter etc.. I put a thread up asking for advice.

I hope it goes well for you, and for me, I am excited for the change, hoping the side effect will help me lose the 7 or so pounds celexa put on with years ago..
                            Cheers

Comment

Hi there,

I was put on Cymbalta 3 years ago for neurological pain.

Its really calmed my pain down (can only speak for myself)

First week or so is pretty rough, but after that my side effects seemed to vanish

Initial side effects were nausea, drowsiness, feeling completely out of it, and vomiting a couple of times.

By mid-second week it all settled down. Still on it as I think it's fab.

Hope you do really well whatever you decide
                              Take Care
                              Rach

Comment

Excellent, excellent thread Mrsheidi, didnt I already say that?..

Thanks Mrs chips and others, for talking about the initial side effects and that you got through them. I too usually suffer from a few side effects and work through them after a bit of time and hoping I can do the same here.

I took my first 30mg this am.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X