Cymbalta???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cymbalta???

is now advertising for Chronic Pain, I know that is was always for it but they always advertised for depression.

I do not suffer from depression but am having the hardest time getting my pain under control. I am currently trying the Gabapentin but it will take 6 weeks before I get to my high dosage and the side effects.....well, they are not so good to me(the side effects). Not saying that Cymbalta will have bad side effect....(WHY Does everything have to have bad side effects, like we don't deal with enough but now we have to deal with side effects on medication that is suppose to "help" us)

My question is....is anyone on Cymbalta for PAIN???? and how fast does it work and what are you side effects if any? Thanks

Originally posted by mommyHeidi View Post
    is now advertising for Chronic Pain, I know that is was always for it but they always advertised for depression.
    Cymbalta was first advertised, to the best of my memory, as treatment for Fibromyalgia (chronic pain). Cymbalta is used for pain, depression and anxiety.

My question is....is anyone on Cymbalta for PAIN???? and how fast does it work and what are you side effects if any?
    I used Cymbalta several years ago and did notice my legs didn't hurt as much. I didn't realize how much it was helping until I went off of it and the pain slowly started to increase.

I was using Cymbalta for depression and I just happen to notice one day that my legs didn't hurt as much. I think it was a gradual thing and not a instant thing...maybe 3 weeks but I'm not sure.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

They never advertized for pain (well that I have seen anyways) it was always for depression so now that they are advertizing it caught my attention. I am not looking for a over night fix (well yes I am but I know that it hard to find) but I have been on the search since summer with no luck I am not liking the side effects these other meds are giving me....Thanks Snoopy!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
        Changing the advertising to concentrate on pain is possibly a matter of keeping up with the most common complaint of the times.
        Sparky, you're undoubtedly right on that one. But for brand-name meds, there's an intermediate step. Brand-name drugs can't be promoted in any way for purposes for which they aren't FDA approved. That means no off-label advertising.

Cymbalta has only recently been advertised for chronic musculoskeletal pain because it was FDA-approved for that purpose only a little more than a year ago. It already had been approved for fibromyalgia and diabetic peripheral nerve pain. Currently, those are the only types of pain it can be advertised for.

Most of us who already have chronic diseases and pain are aware of side effects and risks, but a lot of folks who have "only" musculoskeletal pain aren't. With so many people having musculoskeletal pain, the new advertising is bound to bring a lot of people in to their doctors asking for Cymbalta for generalized chronic pain. That's great for some folks, but also increases the risk for careless prescribing, with some people taking it who shouldn't. By the end of the year, I think we'll start seeing some reports of the adverse effects in those folks. I smell trouble...

Comment

Interesting, thank you!

Comment

I started taking cymbalta about a week ago for depression and anxiety. My psychiatrist thought it would be best for me since it's supposed to help with nerve pain or something like that. I haven't had any side effects but I haven't noticed any difference in my pain level either. I guess only time will tell.

Comment

Info about Cymbalta

I used to be a worker's comp adjuster so I saw a lot of prescriptions of Cymbalta for chronic pain. One of the theories I was told is that people with chronic pain are naturally depressed so the Cymbalta will help with the depression which will help with the chronic pain. My therapist prescribed it for me as a second anti-depressant. It took about a month to build up in my system but then the pain in my shoulders, which I had experienced for years, went away. Unfortunately, it caused my blood pressure to go haywire, high, high, high, so they had to take me off it but I had a very positive experience with it except for that pesky blood pressure thing. I would recommend it for use because my pain was relieved and it was a happy side effect to what the drug was prescribed for. Good luck whatever you decide.

Comment

I HATE that stereotype of people with Chronic Pain being Depressed.....I for one am in so much pain....BUT I am NOT Depressed. I have NOTHING to be depressed about. I just want to get this flippen pain down to a minimal, I have a crappy disease YES and I have come to peace with it and I have the crap that comes with it now we just need to take care of the pain, I am not depressed...I am pissed

Comment

The brain's limbic system controls both depression and pain. That explains why people with depression often have aches and pains, and why people in pain sometimes (by no means always) can have some degree of depression. For most people, pain is a downer.

The tricyclic antidepressant meds are prescribed for pain regardless of depressive status because they work in the limbic system's pain center. I haven't studied specifically how the Cymbalta- and Lyrica-like meds' effect on neurotransmitters works in the limbic system to relieve pain, but in theory they work on pain similarly to the tricyclics, without depression being the major factor. That implies that pain is being relieved directly, and not as a secondary effect of depression being relieved. It isn't as simple as, "People in pain are depressed, so when they aren't depressed anymore they won't have any more pain." That is a stereotype.

This is one of those cases where different systems are intermingled enough that it may not be possible to tell with certainty which effect is primary and which is secondary. Because of that intermingling of mood and pain, almost every psychiatric medication has some effect as a pain reliever. They relieve pain without the need for an anti-inflammatory. That's important because not all pain is from inflammation.

Opposing viewpoints are welcome.

Comment

Why side effects? because thats how Big Pharma wants it so you have to tale more drugs and its and endless cycle..Seams as i wean myself of some of the meds prescribed by my doc's, the better i feel. Its a well known fact the longer you are on meds sooner or later you will get the side effects listed...

Comment

Originally posted by lovejoy View Post
                      Its a well known fact the longer you are on meds sooner or later you will get the side effects listed...
                      I'm sorry, lovejoy, but it isn't a well known fact. Not to me, and not to any reputable sources I'm aware of. It's my understanding that many people never get all, or most, or even any of the side effects listed for a given medication, no matter how long they take it.

Can you back up your statement with references?

Comment

Its a well known fact the longer you are on meds sooner or later you will get the side effects listed...
                        No, not correct.

I usually have side effects from meds within 2 weeks or less. Some people stay on meds indefinitely without any problems.
                        Diagnosed 1984
                        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

i will compile a list from where i got this info, in the next couple of days, i had a flash back of being a repugnit and democrap and for got to use facts , just a side note why do you think they list all thos eside effects on the drugs ? perhaps its because people get them.

Comment

i will compile a list from where i got this info, in the next couple of days, i had a flash back of being a repugnit and democrap and for got to use facts , just a side note why do you think they list all thos eside effects on the drugs ? perhaps its because people get them.
                            They list the side effects because some people get them.

That does not mean all people get them if they stay on a medication long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10

My BF, who has chronic pain from years-old back surgery, was just prescribed Cymbalta. It is being added to his citalopram for depression and anxiety with, according to his Dr, the added benefit of containing a pain reducing ingredient.
                              I'm surprised his doctor is letting him take Cymbalta and Citalopram at the same time. I've been taking Citalopram for about a year and just started Cymbalta yesterday. The pharmacist and my neuro advised against taking the Citalopram any longer because it can have adverse effects when taken with Cymbalta. SSRI vs. SNRI. I'm weaning off the Citalopram for the next 2 weeks.

Btw, I am experiencing side effects of the Cymbalta already. Stomach pains and nausea. I'm hoping they go away soon. Obviously after only one dose I don't know if it's going to work for my pain but I sure hope so!

Comment

Working...
                              X