Cyanocobalamin vs. Hydroxocobalamin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyanocobalamin vs. Hydroxocobalamin

Even before Mom was diagnosed, she had a B-12 deficiency. Her GP has her on Cyanocobalamin injections bimonthly. Now I'm hearing that Hydroxocobalamin would be better. Any thoughts/experiences?

Methylcobalamin is the form of B12 most MSers seem to take...at least the ones who visit MS boards. It's more bioactive (available to the body) than cyanocobalamin. Some doctors may not be aware of the difference.

Hydroxycobalamin is also more bioactive than cyanocobalamin.

That doesn't mean cyanocobalamin injections won't correct your mother's B12 deficiency, though. Repeat testing will show when she reaches a normal level.

If, however, she needs to continue with oral B12 for maintenance, methylcobalamin or hydroxycobalamin might be better choices than cyanocobalamin. I'm not a medical professional, though, so this is just my opinion.

Comment

I've heard the same about b12- in fact I was supplementing then found out I was on the high end so had to stop for about 1 month. Also, when checking b12 levels you need to ask for the serum level, which is the most accurate
      Diagnosed June 2011, Avonex 7/11-12/11

"We don't describe the world we see, we see the world we describe"

Comment

I've had methylcobalamin (sorry if spelling wrong) which was great & cyanocobalalomin (again sorry spelling) which did next to nothing. The Dr I spoke to as why this might be explained the methyl one crosses the blood brain barrier faster & is more readily assimilated. Don't know if thats true but there was a remarkable difference. Had 3 times weekly for the first two weeks then fortnightly after that.

Comment

Working...
        X