? for parents with MS who have kids in "limbo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? for parents with MS who have kids in "limbo"

I have noticed that there are several parents with MS on this board, whose children are going through the process of being potentially diagnosed with MS. My 17 year old is also going through this.

I have seen the symptoms and not pointed it out to her - the doctor noticed some things on her last visit (check up). She has had the MRI. She has an appointment with my neurologist.

I have a feeling that my doctor will do what she can to have each of my children go through an MRI so that any chance of MS will be caught early. Does a parent's diagnosis of MS lead the doctors to jump to the MS possibility for our children?

My 20 year old had an MRI in August and saw the neurologist (and a slew of other doctors). We found out she had narcolepsy. They initially thought she was having seizures.

I had symptoms most of my adult life. Sometimes I saw a doctor sometimes I didn't. It wasn't until I went to the doctor with a list of all my symptoms at one time that she suggested MS. Would it have been better to know early on - there really wasn't any treatment back then.

Maybe a young person that has been diagnosed can answer my next question. Is it better to know early (rather than wonder)? or Do you think it is easier for those that didn't find out until later in life (like me)?

I feel I had the benefit of not having to think about MS all those years - instead I just thought it was something very fixable like diet, exercise, a vitamin....

I'm not a parent, but I am a young person that is currently in limbo. I'm 19 and have been displaying symptoms for just over a year now and we've just been told its likely I have MS. I feel despite feeling a bit strange about the possibility of me having MS, Im grateful it has been diagnosed now and not when im older for many reasons. One reason is that if its caught early a little bit more may be done than i guess if it was caught later. Another is that if i have it all sorted now i can work my life around it as im creating it, not having to adapt it and change it because I find it quite difficult to change as it is. I suppose it also gives me the time i need to learn to live with the diagnosis with the support of my dad and the people I have currently, because i dont know if they'd be here in the future. I've just lost my mum and i guess its made me realize how lucky i am to have my dad with all he does for me currently.

I suppose like you said there is the benefit of not knowing and not worrying as worrying tends to make symptoms flare more, but i just feel lucky in the fact it was caught early personally, even if it has stripped me of my "fun" years i suppose.

I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
    X