No announcement yet.

TO HAWKGIRL-- RE:MS CAUSED BY VIRUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first year i had ms, i was attending a university that had been a polio sanitarium back in the day. they did not know what caused polio so to prevent it from spreading a person who got polio had to check them self into this sanitarium to keep them isolated from other people and prevent it from spreading.

ulitimately this part of the university that was used as a sanitarium for polio patients became a state run nursing school. they had display cases all over the place of the history of polio and the school's role in it. i wasn't in nursing school, i was taking a computer class that was in that building.

me with my newly diagnosed,incurable ms, would stand in front of those display cases for hours reading the history of incurable polio.

they had stopped polio, eradicated it, prevented anyone from getting it without knowing how to cure it or understand why it was happening.

at that time, i just had a feeling that was how ms was going to end..it would be eradicated and no one would get it one day in the future--but those that already had it...it was too late. symptom treatment.

polio was the disease that salk invented the vaccine..not really understanding what it did fully, but observing it prevented people from getting polio.

just think back to that time...parents being told they had to inoculate their child with polio to prevent them from getting polio. being told no one understands why it works but it is your childs best hope for not getting polio. took a lot of guts to be parents back in those days?

from what i understand they never learned why polio happened, how to cure it when it happened, they only learned how to prevent it from happening...

like software engineering... medicine has some reverse engineering in it too.

they may never find a way to cure MS, they may only find a way to prevent it from happening..and those that had it will eventually die of old age and it will become a forgotten disease in history books. like polio will become as those that had polio die out...i know a 50 year old woman who had polio when she was 10. 40 more years? she deals with post polio syndrome now, which is like progressive ms...the nerves that were damaged by polio when she was 10, just wore out sooner than nerves undamaged..even though she was just fine for 40 years...then this post polio syndrome affected her.,
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
      From what i understand they never learned why polio happened, how to cure it when it happened, they only learned how to prevent it from happening...
      That's not exactly right...they learned that polio is caused by a virus that, in some case, can invade the central nervous system (CNS) and destroy neurons, which leads to weakness or paralysis of the limbs formerly powered by the affected area(s) of the spinal cord. And, while CNS neurons don't regenerate, it was possible to create a vaccine using a modified version of the virus.

Polio cripples by destroying CNS nerve tissue, so it's not really possible to "cure" it. Learning how to get the body to regenerate or replace dead spinal neurons is the holy grail for those working to find a way to reverse paralysis.

rex

Comment

rex,rex,rex... i wasn't alive in that time when salk discovered the process of vacine(innoculations), so i don't now how much they knew when they started innoculating people..from the board/ displays & history i read they didn't know when they first started eradicating polio through innoculation, but i will defer to your first hand account of the experience. it seems to me they learned a lot about polio/nerve damage after after they began the injections to eradicate it???
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I think your'e right rex, i believe i saw that the federal government invest millions & millions of $'s every year to find ways to reduce the effects of polio specifically...
          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hey Gomer! Thanks for that insight about the possible link between type 1 juvenile diabetes and MS. My brother has Type 1 Juvenile onset diabetes and I have MS. Hmmm.....

Comment

Working...
            X