Cog-Fog explain please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cog-Fog explain please

I have been having problems with my concentration. My Dr say "Your getting older". Well he's right but I'm only 54. Can someone that is having problems explain it to me please?
    Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

There are many here who can better answer you, but I'll share what I can.

My cog-fog began with me being concious of what I wanted to do, walk into the room where I think I need to go, and completely foreget why I'm there. I also have what I call "word drop". I'll be talking and I "feel" the next word coming but I can't seem to get it out of my mouth; I forget completely what word I was trying to speak. This is extremely frustrating when I'm briefing my boss.

Before my diagnosis, I was given a battery of cognition tests on the computer. Just recently I was given the same tests and scored significantly lower than the first time. A subsequent MRI showed more lesions on the brain which my neuro said was probably the reason for the lower score; not old age.

I would ask for a "cognition" test and see where you stand and an MRI of the brain and then, down the road, another cognition test.

I know this may not help much....the best to you.
    "Tona Naze"
    Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

Hope this helps....
      I had/have the same problem. Poor concentration, memory problems, word recall...

I asked my neuro if I could have some cognitive tests. He sent me to a neuro-psychologist. I had 4 days of tests. She didn't find major problems but she did say that most people with MS do have some cognitive impairment. She said that when people go from being "highly functional" such as in a demanding job, they notice slight cognitive changes very easily. So what might seem a huge problem to us, isnt noticeable to someone else.

She also mentioned that if cognition gets worse, and there is no saying it will, that physical disability doesn't get worse. The 2 aren't related. That is reassuring
      Dx RRMS 1999
      On Rebif

Comment

I "feel your pain" in this area.

However, I was advised to do things that would "fire up those synapsis" by an MS nurse. She told me to do things that would keep your mind busy, but would be enjoyable: examples: Sudoku (don't know how to do that one ), join a book club, so you can both read AND discuss it, crossword puzzles, word searches, etc.

I've recently realized that my "cog fog" has worsened, since my last flare, so that scares me a bit. Perhaps I should ask my neuro about some cognitive testing.

Rest assure, though, it is a common theme among MSers, as far as I know. Sometimes it can be funny (mixing up words and phrases has provided my family with cheap entertainment ). At other times, though, it can be very frustrating and make you feel like you are losing your mind.

Feel free to ask others more about it on here, any time. I'm sure there are several who can share stories that are both funny and frustrating. I guess the key is to try and laugh more than cry about it.

Blessings,
        Sherry

Comment

You are not gonna like my answer. I'm used to having an unpopular view.

but have you considered its a combination of both? its easy to understand that being overweight is gonna cause diabetes to be worse, to have a more difficult time when aging---

why in the world does everyone attribute cog fog soley to MS?

ms is a deterioration of nerves.
          a lot of aging is a deterioration of nerves
          the brain with MS deteriorates at 2x the rate of the normal brain, but the normal brain deteriorates too.
          hormones begin decreasing in the 30's and decreased hormones affect mental acuity.

i think its less important to identify where its from(because i think normal aging is a part of it) and how to mitigate it. the ms brain is deteriorating at 2x the rate of the normal brain so assistance is needed sooner than for the normal brain.

Check if vitamin levels are with in range, one of the symptoms of low vitamin d is cognitive difficulty.

become adept at assistive devices to help with cognition issues, needed sooner for someone with ms than someone without ms..

i hate this forever young culture that denies the effect of aging. if MS was totally cured right now and all MS affects were removed from me, i would not return to what i remembered 7 years ago, i would return to me 7 years older without ms after 7 years of mostly low activity because of ms...

just my opinion, i'm 48 and i feel the effects of aging. not long ago, 54 was not preceded with an "only". 54, may be preceded with an "only" for those that are dealing with age alone and no other health issues.

my friends feel the effects of aging and feel guilty telling me about them because i must have it worse, because i have MS with aging. but they have aging too!
          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I have this problem too. Pretty much anything that I think is "off," someone will tell me "Oh I have that too." I often struggle to find the word I want. When I've been sitting and then stand up, my knee joints ache. I am way more forgetful. I have dizzy spells. Sometimes when I swallow it's like the food gets stuck right under my Adam's apple (whatever the girl equivalent of that is), so it's like I'm choking, but I can still breathe. Every single one of those things: "Oh, I've had that." or "You're just getting older." Well, I am 39. That's not all that old. Old enough to have creaky joints? Old enough to need help standing up from a chair?

It's easy to see why so many people take so long to get diagnosed. "Your hands are all prickly and tingly? Oh, I've had that too."
            Proud Mom of three kids!
            dx'd 1996

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
              You are not gonna like my answer. I'm used to having an unpopular view.

but have you considered its a combination of both? its easy to understand that being overweight is gonna cause diabetes to be worse, to have a more difficult time when aging---

why in the world does everyone attribute cog fog soley to MS?

ms is a deterioration of nerves.
              a lot of aging is a deterioration of nerves
              the brain with MS deteriorates at 2x the rate of the normal brain, but the normal brain deteriorates too.
              hormones begin decreasing in the 30's and decreased hormones affect mental acuity.

i think its less important to identify where its from(because i think normal aging is a part of it) and how to mitigate it. the ms brain is deteriorating at 2x the rate of the normal brain so assistance is needed sooner than for the normal brain.

Check if vitamin levels are with in range, one of the symptoms of low vitamin d is cognitive difficulty.

become adept at assistive devices to help with cognition issues, needed sooner for someone with ms than someone without ms..

i hate this forever young culture that denies the effect of aging. if MS was totally cured right now and all MS affects were removed from me, i would not return to what i remembered 7 years ago, i would return to me 7 years older without ms after 7 years of mostly low activity because of ms...

just my opinion, i'm 48 and i feel the effects of aging. not long ago, 54 was not preceded with an "only". 54, may be preceded with an "only" for those that are dealing with age alone and no other health issues.

my friends feel the effects of aging and feel guilty telling me about them because i must have it worse, because i have MS with aging. but they have aging too!
              I agree that "other" factors contribute to what we call "aging" and "senior moments"..

However, being toxic, along with inflammation, hormones off can and do contribute to aging-like moments.

BUT.. I took a course on older adults and aging and lots of beliefs, esp about "senior moments" are myths. If we USE our brain, eat well by eliminating toxic chemicals knowingly or not, we CAN remember well. Both my parents, and ancestors before, maintained their memory.. and in fact, improved it.

Also I have had cog fog, with speech/processing issues from MS as one of my biggest symptoms. I saw a specialized nutritionist.. followed his program and much has improved. BUT I do have to work that brain of mine. LOL.. Proper Nutrition (after chemical detox) is NOT a cure.. it simply helped improve a hurting MSee brain LOL

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I have it really bad lately. Such a busy time from thanksgiving to
                christmas now I am exhausted. lost my urse the other day. I was very lucky that a shoppper in Old Navy tok it to the front desk and all was in tact. I bought a crossover purse so I do not have to set it down anymiore.

I also forgot to take a direct debit friom my account, luckiloy, we were able to put money in before anything bounced, but my brqain is really gone latelyl;

Not even good at my word games this week. I polan on resting for about a week to get back to normal.

JudySz

Comment

My 'cog fog' feels the way I used to feel when I had the flu. It comes when I'm overtired or overheated, and it goes when I've had enough rest.

Forgetting where you left your keys is really infuriating, because walking back and forth looking for them is exhausting and that makes everything worse.

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                    I agree that "other" factors contribute to what we call "aging" and "senior moments"..
                    People are very fond of saying well i have that..and i'm very fond of saying back well i have that too, along with MS that you don't have.

i just really do not believe people age with having no affects from aging..I don't believe it...and i think we with MS have an over idealistic view of what life is like without ms.

i think we with MS can be self centered in not acknowledging the aches and pains of those without MS as if they're hurt is irrelevant compared to OURS which is S-O-O-O much more severe then their little "owies".

and i'm slightly impatient at the idea that forgetting where ones car keys are or where ones car is parked is a sign of cognitive decline--that just goes back to my premise we with MS have warped ideas of what life without ms is like--with out MS, the sun shines, flowers grow butterflies fly & there is a rainbow every day! without ms....

an now while i am on a roll, yes there may be MINIMAL affects of aging on HEALTHY people who are ACTIVE--but even the healthy SEDINTARY age less well & sedintary is a lifestyle for people with ms. another part of cognitive decline other than aging or MS directly. but they all add up to the decline seen in one person: aging+MS+less active life style.
                    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

KNOW THE SYMPTOMS.....PLEASE READ! (for fun)

My impatience is best reflected in this post about Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder which was posted in the senior sanctuary by Seasha--which i thought was a riot so I sent it to my parents and aunts & uncles who are near the end their 60th decade and they have ISSUES and they have been having ISSUES for a very long time but they didn't have anything convenient to blame it on like MS--they just adapted to changing times!

perhaps my frustration is being so closely associated with people experiencing natural decline--knowin it doesn't stay the same..

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ficit+Disorder

Is it age - or MS and age? Friend sent this to me (it's long but worth the read)

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder.
                      Somehow I feel better,even though I have it!!
                      Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. -
                      Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:
                      I decide to water my garden.
                      As I turn on the hose in the driveway,
                      I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.
                      As I start toward the garage,
                      I notice mail on the porch table that
                      I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.
                      I lay my car keys on the table,
                      put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table,
                      and notice that the can is full.
                      So, I decide to put the bills back
                      on the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think,
                      since I'm going to be near the mailbox
                      when I take out the garbage anyway,
                      I may as well pay the bills first.
                      I take my check book off the table,
                      and see that there is only one check left.
                      My extra checks are in my desk in the study,
                      so I go inside the house to my desk where
                      I find the can of Coke I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks,
                      but first I need to push the Coke aside
                      so that I don't accidentally knock it over.
                      The Coke is getting warm ,
                      and I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke,
                      a vase of flowers on the counter
                      catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Coke on the counter and
                      discover my reading glasses that
                      I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk,
                      but first I'm going to water the flowers.
                      I set the glasses back down on the counter,
                      fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote
                      Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV,
                      I'll be looking for the remote,
                      but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table,
                      so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs,
                      but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers,
                      but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.
                      So, I set the remote back on the table,
                      get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to
                      remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
                      the car isn't washed
                      the bills aren't paid
                      there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter
                      the flowers don't have enough water,
                      there is still only 1 check in my check book,
                      I can't find the remote,
                      I can't find my glasses,
                      and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today,
                      I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all darn day,
                      and I'm really tired.
                      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
                        My impatience is best reflected in this post about Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder which was posted in the senior sanctuary by Seasha--which i thought was a riot so I sent it to my parents and aunts & uncles who are near the end their 60th decade and they have ISSUES and they have been having ISSUES for a very long time but they didn't have anything convenient to blame it on like MS--they just adapted to changing times!

perhaps my frustration is being so closely associated with people experiencing natural decline--knowin it doesn't stay the same..

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ficit+Disorder

Is it age - or MS and age? Friend sent this to me (it's long but worth the read)

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder.
                        Somehow I feel better,even though I have it!!
                        Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. -
                        Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:
                        I decide to water my garden.
                        As I turn on the hose in the driveway,
                        I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.
                        As I start toward the garage,
                        I notice mail on the porch table that
                        I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.
                        I lay my car keys on the table,
                        put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table,
                        and notice that the can is full.
                        So, I decide to put the bills back
                        on the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think,
                        since I'm going to be near the mailbox
                        when I take out the garbage anyway,
                        I may as well pay the bills first.
                        I take my check book off the table,
                        and see that there is only one check left.
                        My extra checks are in my desk in the study,
                        so I go inside the house to my desk where
                        I find the can of Coke I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks,
                        but first I need to push the Coke aside
                        so that I don't accidentally knock it over.
                        The Coke is getting warm ,
                        and I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke,
                        a vase of flowers on the counter
                        catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Coke on the counter and
                        discover my reading glasses that
                        I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk,
                        but first I'm going to water the flowers.
                        I set the glasses back down on the counter,
                        fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote
                        Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV,
                        I'll be looking for the remote,
                        but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table,
                        so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs,
                        but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers,
                        but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.
                        So, I set the remote back on the table,
                        get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to
                        remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
                        the car isn't washed
                        the bills aren't paid
                        there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter
                        the flowers don't have enough water,
                        there is still only 1 check in my check book,
                        I can't find the remote,
                        I can't find my glasses,
                        and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today,
                        I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all darn day,
                        and I'm really tired.
                        So cute!! Thanks for sharing this~ Jan
                        I believe in miracles~!
                        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

That was a funny story.

Now to try to explain my sx's of cog fog. First of all I am a 38 year old male attending college after a career as a pipefitter, since the economy took a dump. I like to toot my horn for a high school drop out I am maaintaining a 3.8 gpa in college majoring in psycology. I put this in to give a base or to score the fact that my mind is or normally is sharp.

Slowly over the last year all of my sx's have steadily gotten worse with each passing month. My Cognitive abilities are suffering. One last note, according to research ms cog fog does not lessen intelligence, it simply makes it more difficult to access the information.

Anyways I like to describe my cog fog in three differnt levels. The first is when I cant say what I want to say whether it is simply not being able to say the specific word or say completely the wrong word. Then there is the tight band feeling I get around my head that just makes thinking at all seem impossible. Finally take that tight band level and makeit even more dibilitating and include ms fatigue mentally, where thinking is just an exhuasting proposition.

Now I still lose everything or forget to do most things but I am learning to work around those problems. I added a hook for my keys next to the door simple fix, I got a pill box to hold my daily pills to know if I have taken them or not by how many are there. I bought a digital recorder to record my classes. Make a daily to do list. So there are things we can do to help limit the effect cog fog has on ourlives.
                          COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH- BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY ~JOHN WAYNE~

Comment

This is one of my posts from my blog (address in my profile) on the subject matter:

Monitoring Cognitive Decline in Multiple Sclerosis

Many Multiple Sclerosis patients experience a condition referred to as “Cog-Fog”. Cog-Fog varies from person to person but the majority of complaints come in the form of; loss of memory, inability to concentrate, language difficulties, and difficulties with problem solving.

I recently experienced a severe attack of this on a trip to our states capital for work. I’ve driven there many times for meetings but on this particular trip, I suddenly forgot how to get there or why I was going. I pulled out my GPS but when it told me to turn right, I panicked; I couldn’t remember which way was right. Everything came back to me fairly quickly; however, an experience like that leaves you rattled. I reported the episode to my doctor.

Establishing a baseline for cognitive ability is an important part of beginning to understand the extent of the impact of multiple sclerosis on the brain. The Neurologist defers to a Neuropsychologist to do the assessment.

A Neuropsychologist studies the specific structure and function of the brain as it relates to certain processes. This is important to us with MS as it looks at the relationship between the nervous system and cognitive function. Very simplified I know, but it serves the purpose for definition here.

My first experience with cognitive testing took place yesterday. The Wechsler Adult Memory Scale (WMS) involved 3 hours of testing. The test includes; spatial addition, symbol span, design memory, general cognitive screening, logical memory, verbal paired associates, and visual reproduction. A person's performance is reported as five Index Scores: Auditory Memory, Visual Memory, Visual Working Memory, Immediate Memory, and Delayed Memory.

Scoring for my exam is not yet complete; although, the doctor did say that it was apparent through the course of the exam that I have difficulty with spatial reasoning which is important in learning and problem solving. This is not a normal state for me as I’ve often been accused of “thinking like an engineer”. This is; however, another example of how MS can rob us of our normal selves.

While the prospect of increasing cognitive deficits loom; as a result of this disease, I have hope. There is a possibility of utilizing therapies and tools to fine tune and retrain the brain to cope and still function reasonably well even with a progressive disease such as multiple sclerosis.

Putting together puzzles or using an App such as “Pictorial” is a good way to get started in improving the spatial reasoning function of the brain.

My future holds more cognitive testing and an EEG as well as some new therapies designed to remap the way my brain communicates things. I will continue to add posts on the subject as I learn more
                            Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and that way you have all your bases covered.

Comment

This happens to me also, and I also tire of people saying...oh I do that too, it's no big deal.
                              Seems like the people that say that to me have done this for years. They have always been slightly forgetful or the word I use have been somewhat of an "airhead"
                              The memory and cog issues I have are NOT the norm for ME.
                              I also highly doubt that the issues can arise so quickly and severely, as mine have, if it were simple normal aging.
                              I agree with normal aging or if we are in a busy time in our lives some memory lapses can occur but we all know OUR norms and we all know what is so far out of our norm that it is a concern.
                              I have just stopped discussing these issues with anyone but my Dr.
                              DX 10/26/11

Comment

Working...
                              X