EMG what does it tell you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMG what does it tell you?

Hi, I am sceluded for EMG on my legs next week, but I also had that checked last year (May) in arms and legs. So what can they be looking for? It was negative then. Can it change? If I have MS (I´m just probably ms now) could the test be possitive? Does ms, when progressing, change something in this test?
    Because now I have like painful spasms/spasticty and also muscle twiches all over, but they were not there in May then I just had tingling all over and nervepain.
    Or is EMG always negative when MS? I also have disc-relapse in my lower back, could that change anything?
    Please explain to me, if you can.
    Best regards,
    Lara
    E.s sorry for my English

I can't tell you much, but I had an EMG for an ulnar nerve. MY neuro said the nerve has nothing to do with ms. Now that's what he said. Some how I don't think I would have this problem if I didn't have spasms in my neck as well as major stiffness in my neck muscles. In my opinion, it's related. I feel like my muscles are pinching the nerve or something. I see a massage therapist. Sometimes, it helps.

Apparently, the EMG came out "normal", whatever that is. I have a MRI due of my brain and cervical spine, which is what I want to see.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry for all you are struggling with.

I had EMGs of arms..later of legs. My orthopedic sent me for legs to find out if the pain was from MS/spasticity or my spinal stenosis. Then they could decide who would treat what.

Turns out both arms (previously) and legs were abnormal test results and it was more related to lumbar spinal stenosis. Test results for legs said it was "chronic"..chronic what? Gets a bit complicaticed as pain is pain.

Good luck in figuring this out~ Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thank you both!

Jan, I was told two years ago that I have some Spinal Stenosis, so that could maby be seen in this test then. I quess I will just see. Thank you!

AnneLouise thank you also for your input

What I've been reading on the internet now, tells me that EMG has nothing to say about MS, it seems to just tell you if something else is wrong, but then I think MS could still be there even though we have another problem.
        Best regards,
        Lara
        E.s sorry for my English

Comment

I remember having a leg EMG during the diagnosis process to make sure it wasn't a nerve in my lumbar spine causing the problems. It wasn't a lumbar nerve pinch. EMG's differentiate between a CNS problem and a peripheral nerve problem.

Comment

Thank you rdmc, yes I understand that now and I think, like I said here above, that I could then have positive EMG for the Stenosis that I have (pinched nerves in lumbar) even though I would have MS. Because my main symptoms are the same both in hands and feet, and my arms EMG was negative.
            Best regards,
            Lara
            E.s sorry for my English

Comment

Working...
            X