Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Gilenya need a washout period ?

Hi all -

Started looking into Gilenya about two months ago. Finally after a bunch of paperwork, appeals, etc. they have determined that I can apply for Financial Assistance as my insurance only pays $ 2,000/yr. for prescrips.

So, my question is if there is a washout period where you have to stop the med you are currently taking (Copaxone) for a period of time before you can start Gilenya ?

Want to be thinking about this if I get approved.

Thank you !

I was told three month washout period for Tysabri. Not sure of duration for copax.

Originally posted by cosake View Post
    Hi all -

Started looking into Gilenya about two months ago. Finally after a bunch of paperwork, appeals, etc. they have determined that I can apply for Financial Assistance as my insurance only pays $ 2,000/yr. for prescrips.

So, my question is if there is a washout period where you have to stop the med you are currently taking (Copaxone) for a period of time before you can start Gilenya ?

Want to be thinking about this if I get approved.

Thank you !
    dx June 1994
    Tanstaafl !

Comment

Thank you - hoping someone else will respond on this.

Comment

Ahhh - The washout.

I was told 3 different things.
        1. By the drug company: 4 month washout
        2. By my Neuro: Her practice was 3 month washout
        3. By my MS NP because I was in an active period: We better go ahead and get you started sooner rather than later. 6 week washout. (following a severe allergic reaction to Tysabri)
        Sooooo - I guess it depends on who you ask, huh?
        Dx 4/02
        Brain & spinal lesions
        Current DMD: Betaseron (again)

Comment

I didn't have a washout period with Rebif. took my last Rebif on a Friday and started Gilenya on the following Tuesday. Check with your neurologist again. Hope this is helpful and good luck. Liz

Comment

For Tysabri i had to wait 3 months so i was put on Copaxone during that time which did nothing for me i relapsd but i went from 1 day on Copaxone to the next day on Gilenya. My neuro said only Ty requires a washout period.

good luck
            laurie

Comment

Working...
            X