Ty and weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ty and weight loss

I have been on Ty now for four months. I am 5 foot 1 and never been overweight. I use to weigh about 8 and 1/4 stone and thus never had a huge amount of weight to loose.

Since being on the Ty I have been eating more than normal and am now just under 8 stone. If I didn't increase my food intake I wonder how much I would weigh

I have also started provigil which could have increased the weight loss. what I am wondering is if anyone else has lost weight since going on Ty

On a positive note: every womens dream
    Diagnosed 10 years.
    Started Ty in Sept 2011

I should be so lucky
    At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

I'm someone who has weight control trouble the opposite way. when diagnosed i lost all kinds of weight it was a dream come true but made my family nervous. with tysabri it was back to struggling with keeping from getting overweight again

i really think its tysabri messing with a persons water balance and i think much of the weight your noticing is with water weight? i take a potasium suppliment hoping it will help.

it would be nice if someone else is noticing this---let me know if you think thats whats doing it for you.
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hmmm. I'm going for #4 tomorrow and I have been eating like crazy for about a month due to the holidays and I've actually lost weight! I'm not on provigil or any of those drugs.

If it is the Ty I will be a happy girl. I've got about 20lbs to lose as it is :-)
        Melissa Goerke
        [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

I've been on Ty for 14 mos. and lost weight, which I had no extra to lose. My dr. said I need to gain weight. My issue is that I don't get hungry and it is difficult to fix food, so I don't eat enough. My cholestorol is below 200 for the first time it 6 years, and now I'm eating cheese and ice cream. Can't win.
          Never considered a connection between Ty and the weight loss.

Comment

As well as the weight loss the ther weird thing that has happened to me since starting ty is that my periods are not as normal as they use to be. I was always every month. This month I didn't even had a period.

Has that happened to anyone else
            Diagnosed 10 years.
            Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

If your losing weight, weight loss can cause periods to stop also being slightly dehydrated can cause both weight loss and periods to stop. . you period situation may not be from tysabri but "secondary" to weight loss/dehydration.

runners in training stop getting periods--they think its an advantage. i hate the saline they give me at the infusion i know its gonna cause my period to be heavier. when i was slightly dehydrated my periods stopped to. when i lost 103# many years ago my period stopped to then for a while.

i think a stone is 14#? when i lost 7.4 stones ,my periods stopped too for a while. and a few other times in my yo-yo diet weight situation.

i think you need to talk to the doc about how much you hate tysabri. its stressing you out to the point of not being logical about it. a voice of reason may help you the most. your personality might not match a new drug with some risks..it just might not be the one for you...

research ldn. current studies from credible institutions found that it promotes a feeling of well being while declining.
              xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hi 0485
                I think you got the wrong idea from my thread. I love being n Ty. I feel that it is one of the best treatments available.

And in addition what girl culd nt be happy about the side effects that I have mentioned. Weight loss and a lack of a period. Every girls dream
                Diagnosed 10 years.
                Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

Sorry, i was in a nasty overwhelmed mood when i posted it & i really did think you did not like TY, were not given a choice by the doc in Ireland far from the doc's at home you were more comfortable with. I just thought Stop it already, if you don't like it. My apology for making an unsupported conclusion based upon reading a few post an a message board. I was wrong, mybad.
                  xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hi 0485
                    Thanks for your thread. Sometimes they can be confusing. I have read many of your threads and they are very informative so please never stop responding to mine

I have no idea what the consultants are like in Aus as I got MS here in Ireland 10 years ago. I am sure they have some terrible consultants over there but they certainly have here as well. The place I go to now is brilliant as are the consultants.
                    Diagnosed 10 years.
                    Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

I'm noticing weight loss...(which is a great thing for me)...

This thread was started a number of years ago and has been inactive. I just searched "tysabri and weight loss" and found it.

Since my mid/late 20's I haven't weight less than 180. (I'm 38 now).

In March, 2015 when I was diagnosed, I weighted 230. (I hate that number, it is about my highest weight.)

I started tysabri in May. Yesterday, I had my 8th infusion. My weight has been pretty steadily (but sort of slowly) going down since about when I started Tysabri. It is strange. I am starting to think it might be the tysabri, but weight loss/gain is not really associated with Ty?

I have been taking generic adderall for about 3 years. Around October, I started consistently taking 20 mg twice a day. Prior to that I was generally only taking 20 mg once a day. Then in the last month, I have been switched to Vyvanse 60 mg a day.

I think that the adderall or Vyvanse would be the more likely reason for weight loss. However, I've started to wonder a little bit about the Tysabri.

Work has also been terribly stressful for me this year, and my chihuahua of 15 years died in her sleep on Monday morning, November 30. All of the additional stressors could also be interacting in some way with the meds and what is going on. I haven't weighted under 200 for over 10 years, so if I do manage that breakthrough, I'll be thrilled at any rate.
                      RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
                      (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
                      Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

When I was diagnosed back in May 2015 I began to lose weight. Lost 15 pounds in month. I was in a bad place mentally so I figured it was due to that. Since starting TY, I gained 20. Periods are normal. I am eating like I'm going to the electric chair now. That may have something to do with it. I think Ty has messed with my hair. Im not losing it but it feels the texture is changed.

Comment

Working...
                        X