Nurse with new dx of ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurse with new dx of ms

Im a RN for last 5 yrs but worked in health care from an aide to LPN since 1993

I was just diagnosed with MS 11/2011
    sx tremors, muscle spasms, vision changes d/t optic neuritis, numbness, headaches, forgetfulness, light sensitivity.

My md currently has me out of work until further notice d/t the vision changes

I currently work in the human services field
    my job requires travel and transport of patients sometimes by myself, I have to be at the top of my game- at this point I can't even take my own pulse d/t tremors, how would I ever draw blood? or keep my consumer safe if I have to do a hold d/t behavior?

Am I going to be able to go back to this job? Do I work on getting my BS and MS so I can do management or teach? Could I ever go back to working in the ER where my true passion is?

These are some of the questions running through my mind....
    I started Copaxone last week, also on Baclofen, Neurontin, Topamax....
    Guess its a wait and see game

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Bumping up for some replies...
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Hi Laura and welcome although I'm sorry you have to be here also.

Since you are a brand new person with MS so I would try to take a deep breath and give yourself a moment to adjust and heal. I love that you are thinking of your financial future and ways to ensure that you are able to continue working!!

Your current symptoms could resolve and buy you some time at your present position but I would definitely start looking for a job that might be a bit kinder to you now that you know you have MS. Just my opinion of course and hopefully others will write in also.

I wasn't a nurse upon diagnosis but applied to school right after so I would have a flexible career as my MS progresses. It has been beneficial for me to continue with my education related to more money for less physical work. I started with my LPN to RN to BSN now MSN.

I get what you are saying about your passion being the ED. I would have loved to do NICU but knew that even if I had been able to do it for a while that wasn't a long term solution for my needs. In any event I settled in psychiatry and LOVE it. Please keep us posted and best of luck to you.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

another nurse

Hi
        Am also an RN, retired due to "suggested" MS and was officially diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Too bad no one told me about Medigap before I was Dx'd....gonna be expensive now to treat!

Nice to meet someone else with same symptoms

Comment

Working...
        X