Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with the Injections. Any Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with the Injections. Any Advice?

Hey guys, I've been dealing with MS for a little over a year and most days I'm fine. I've entered remission and all of my lesions have shrunk incredibly since I've started my Rebif injections a little over a year ago. Most days I can cope with my problem perfectly fine, but then there are some days that are harder then most. It's usual the days that I take my shots that are harder. I hate taking my shots even though I know they are helping me. In my mind they are a constant reminder that I'll never be "normal" again. They are also a constant reminder that this is an issue I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life and as a 16 year old.. forever is a long time.. Any advice on how to get over this feeling so that when I look at my shots I don't get upset?

Welcome!

hi kaityrae! glad you found us! MSWorld has wonderful members that are caring and informative.
    so sorry to hear that you're dealing with the MonSter so early in your life. bless your !

i agree with you that shots stink! i was on Avonex for 7 yrs and Copaxone for 3, until i could no longer afford it.

i hope you get some support here, but you may also want to post this thread in the General Answers Forum. more people read that forum than any others and there's a wealth of info from them about shots.
    praying things get easier on you.
    "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Hi,
      You posted on my post!!! I don't have Ms, but my mom does. Maybe if you look forward to something you will forget the pain. Like going out to dinner on Sunday or go the movie or go bowling. I might not understand your pain, and might not understand my moms, but I know how to do fun. I hope I understand your question!!!

Comment

hi.
        I am 21, and have been dxd since i was 13.

and i have been on shots for about 6 years. and i was on rebif for 4 years.

if you have any side effects at all from the rebif, take them at night like i did. that way, if i did have any side effects, they occurred when i was sleeping.

many many people, including 16 year olds. are on prescription medications for whatever reason.
        this is yours.

and yes, it is not a pill. but look at it this way: there is no quicker/better way to get over a fear of needles than by giving yourself a shot. and you will never have that fear again.(prolly)

do you use the auto injector? i found it easier to use that to get used to giving myself shots than by starting out manually.

best of luck
        Learn from yesterday
        Live for today
        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Focus on something else

Hi!
          I've been on Avonex for 3 years. I was diagnosed 11 days before my 14th birthday and I just recently turned 18. I've been diagnosed for a little over 4 years now. I've been on my medicine for 4 years as well. I am kind of stuck in the same situation as you! I hate taking my medicine, but my lesions have shrunk a lot! My doctor was actually surprised. I still feel sick some days, but one think I know that has helped is sports. I feel sick before and after I take my medicine, but I horseback ride and it helps a lot. Keeping my body moving has done wonders!
          It's never easy, and I even wrote a paper on how everything has been against me since day one, but it is what it is. As long as you don't just give up, life will be as normal as it is for anyone, just with a needle every now and then.
          Stay positive! If you need any advice, even though I'm not much older than you, I'd be more than happy to help!

Comment

Don't look at it like you have to do shots because of MS.

Look at it like the shots are helping to slow it down, that way you're taking control of the situation.

Comment

shots

When I first began with my shots - I was horrible at taking them. Now, I treat them as part of me - when I think of myself - I include a shot once a day - just how I am. After our family dinner, We sit and my partner gives me my shot. Sometimes it hurts more than others but it is 10 seconds of my life.

Crawford

Comment

Hey Kaityrae,
                I was recently diagnosed at 23 I agree it is a very long time to have a disease. The shots suck and I have only been on copaxone for 3 months. I say if you feel like crying, cry. Built up emotions are bound to come out sooner or later. I still cry. Almost every night and not because it hurts but because I don't want to be dealing with this. But... Every night I write down how I'm feeling (just something short), or how I hate my shots, or why I'm feeling the way I feel, anything really. It seems silly but actually recognizing how you feel and why you feel that way might help you deal with it a little bit more. Just a suggestion its not for everyone. But I do wish you the best and I hope your shots become easier to handle.
                You were dealt a hard card, but take comfort in the fact that you are strong because the strong are the ones that are tried the hardest.

Comment

Sorry, Not a Teen but...

Have dealt with young diabetics, as young as 4 or 5, who have to get blood sugar tested and shots several times times per day. Also consider that there are advances being made all the time. We may have to fight MS for the rest of our lives, but we are Warriors. Think of it that way.

Comment

I'm not going to lie, one day I was so upset about my shots because I had been hanging out with friends, and my mom made me come home early for my shot. I was so mad that I couldn't be a normal teenager and hangout late with my friends on shot days that I took my shot and threw it at my mirror until it shattered... I feel really bad for wasting that shot because I know they aren't cheap, but the second it broke I felt so much better.

I read all of your guys' advice and thank you so much! It's really helpful. After the day I shattered my shot I started to think that sure my shots are a reminder of something I have to deal with forever, but I shouldn't worry about the possibilites of tomorrow. I've decided I'm going to be more positive and instead of looking at my shots with hatred I'm going to look at them like they are a blessing from God. Without my shots I wouldn't be able to run and I can honestly say that I don't know what I would do if I couldn't run. So if they are all that are keeping my running as of right now, then I might as well put a smile on my face and take my shot without complaining. I've also decided to stop worrying about what could possibly happen in the future and to instead be thankful for today and what I'm still capable of doing. Thanks again guys!!

Comment

Working...
                    X