Vision changes from day to day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vision changes from day to day

Some days my vision seems better than other days, some days I see better with my glasses off, some days I see better with my glasses, some days I can't see a darned thing with them on or off.

Is this normal with MS or should I be looking for another explanation?
    DX 10/26/11

I think you should always get checked out, especially when a problem is with your eyes.

For the record, though. My vision goes through its sometimes random cycles as with all my MS damage-related symptoms. If I don't sleep well, my vision is blurry the next day.

Comment

H valerie:
      MS, and some other things, can affect the quality of vision somewhat from hour to hour or day to day (or even blink to blink). None of those are really "normal," although some of them can't be fixed and a person just has to live with them.

One thing in particular, though, is that MS does not affect the refractive elements of the eye. And that's important because you said that sometimes you see better with your glasses and sometimes better without. That's refractive, and that's suspicious for a cause other than MS.

You should get it checked out, starting with a comprehensive eye exam.

A major thing to check out is your blood sugar, not just one test, but several, to check the stability of your glocose levels throughout a day and from day to day. That means it's best to check it when you're seeing better with your glasses on, better with them off and when you can't see well either way. Unstable blood sugar is notorious for causing fluctuations of vision, so it needs to be checked, if for no other reason than to rule it out.

Another thing to keep track of is any medications you're taking, including DMDs and symptom management meds. Log what meds you take and when, and what your vision is like with glasses on and off, to spot any trends.

So much fluctuation -- especially refractive -- isn't normal, and it will take a bit of detective work to figure it out.

Comment

My vision changes too. I have double vision and the prisms in my glasses usually correct this quite efficiently.

However, every so often I'll have a day where the double vision flares and even the prisms in the glasses don't correct it completely.

I've never figured out the why, when, or how of it...I just know it happens.

Hang in there!

Comment

I have had ms over 10 year and had optic neuritis then but over time it eased up. Now I have had serious problems with my eyes.

My eyes get overly sensitive to light as the day goes on. I then have problems with the computer, driving, in sunlight and in general. In the morning I am OK. Sometimes (a lot actually) I have trouble reading. Glasses don't help when my eyes are bad. Sunglasses can help a bit. I find it real hard at work as in the afternoon and have to get people to type on computer and read for me
          Diagnosed 10 years.
          Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

To Redwings

I was just reading your thread and it made total sense to me. I have told my consultants that after I eat I can hardly see. I get no answers. I am a bad eater and often will only have one meal a day (lunch). At work I try to get most of my work done in the morning as I can't see after lunch.

How do you rectify your blood sugar. If I level my blood sugar do you think this will help my sight

I know what you are going to say. Eat smaller meals more often but I don't like eating that way. Would there be an easier way
            Diagnosed 10 years.
            Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

One of my first symptoms was blurriness in one eye. The optometrist didn't tell me I had optic neuritis, but he asked me if I had MS. It was one thing among many that led me to the Neurologist.

I am still in the process of being diagnosed, but in addition to the problem in one eye, I have also experienced what you are describing where I can't see the computer screen with or without my glasses, especially in the morning, but it comes and goes. It's mostly with reading up close rather than distance.
              "Man's importunity is God's opportunity. He uses our problems as building material for his miracles." ~Corrie Ten Boom

Comment

Originally posted by NickyOz View Post
                I was just reading your thread and it made total sense to me. I have told my consultants that after I eat I can hardly see. I get no answers. I am a bad eater and often will only have one meal a day (lunch). At work I try to get most of my work done in the morning as I can't see after lunch.

How do you rectify your blood sugar. If I level my blood sugar do you think this will help my sight

I know what you are going to say. Eat smaller meals more often but I don't like eating that way. Would there be an easier way
                Hi Nicky:
                Actually, I wasn't going to say that at all, because that may not help. Post-prandial (after-eating) metabolic problems can be complicated, so if you're looking for a quick, easy fix, there probably isn't one. That's particularly true if your doctors (consultants) aren't familiar with the syndrome and don't know how to test for it or manage it.

As far as blood sugar goes, you'll need to 1) find out if there is a problem with blood sugar and 2) what the problem is before you can figure out what to do about it. You'll need to also find out if and what other metabolic and neurologic things are going on. That includes a comprehensive eye exam in the afternoon, when your vision is bad. None of those are things you can do by yourself. So if your doctors aren't picking up the ball and moving on this (because what you're describing is definitely abnormal), you'll have to decide whether to just live with it or to start kicking some Gaelic medical butt to get them to start evaluating you properly.

The ball is in your court (is that an American expression?). You'll have to decide what you want for yourself. You admit to eating badly and to not wanting to change how you eat. You know what results those choices are getting you. You'll have to weigh the possible benefits/consequences of making changes -- even though it's uncomfortable and you don't want to do it -- against the consequences of not changing what you're doing-- including short- and long-term damage to your brain. When you answer for yourself (not for me ) -- 1) how much do you want things to change and 2) what are you willing to do to get what you want -- you'll know what you should do.

Comment

Hi Redwings
                  Or should I say DAD. (LOL) I love your threads. You really say it as it is and I agree with all that you say. Today I tried eating a little bit when I got to work so that lunch would not be my first meal but it seems that whenever I eat (no matter how small) my eye sight is affected

I think I need to get my blood taken and get tested for a range of things including diabetes which I don't think I have.

Thanks again for your thread - very insightful and informative. How come you know so much.
                  Diagnosed 10 years.
                  Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

Hi Nicky:
                    You're welcome.
                    How come you know so much.
                    From the moment I knew how to read I was told, "If you want to know something, go look it up." I think people tend to learn and retain things they have to work for.

Comment

vision

I think I need to get my blood taken and get tested for a range of things including diabetes which I don't think I have.
                      I would recommend seeing your doc to be sure you don't have diabetes. The typical signs of diabetes are: severe thirst, and frequent urination. If you have high blood sugars, you can have some blurred vision. With time, you will lose weight. Do you have any family history of diabetes?

I always have problems off and on with my vision lately. But it doesn't seem to correlate with my blood sugars. When I have high blood sugars, its more like I have a film over my eyes, but the other vision problem is just not being able to see the computer screen well, like blurred vision. Some days are better than others. Luckily I have an eye appt in a few weeks.

I hope you find out more about your vision problems...
                      Christie ~ RN, Married with 2 beautiful daughters and a beautiful granddaughter
                      Dx: Ulcerative Colitis ~ 2004, Diabetes ~ 2005, Fibromyalgia ~2011, and now in MS limbo-land since April 2011

Comment

Working...
                      X