This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merideth Vieira & Richard Cohen life with MS

Nice article about the life of richard cohen who has had MS since 25, now in his 60's and Merideth who left her job at the today show to spend more time with family...

as she says one thing she has learned is Progressive disease progress.

talks about how they got together as a couple, MS wasn't a concern to Merideth & their 3 kids are well adjusted, the didn't know dad had MS until they were 7.

the first article has a link to an AARP article.

http://celebritybabyscoop.com/2011/1...eredith-vieira

http://www.aarp.org/relationships/fr.../vieira.1.html
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Originally posted by 0485c10 View Post
    as she says one thing she has learned is Progressive disease progress.
    Yeah she is right on with that one.

I do wonder if she really left "to spend more time with family" though because her kids are grown, she and her husband have never seemed too emesched and I feel like I have seen her on TV even more since she left that show.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

They were on CNN last night with Piers Morgan and I was so happy for him to talk about research and was very clear that there was not enough Money, for Research being done, and he also felt more time should be spent on Research

Comment

Richard Cohen has written a couple books about dealing with chronic illness. The first is titled "Blindsided", and is his story of dealing with MS and Cancer.

The second is titled, "Strong at the Broken Places" and details the experience of 5 people with debilitating chronic illness...none have MS. This was the first MS or chronic illness book I read.

Comment

Richard Cohen is correct!

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          Yeah she is right on with that one.

I do wonder if she really left "to spend more time with family" though because her kids are grown, she and her husband have never seemed too emesched and I feel like I have seen her on TV even more since she left that show.
          Now that you mention it...she IS popping up everywhere! She probably just got sick of working with Matt and Ann. It's not like her family couldn't afford a private nurse if Richard needed one. She did say she wasn't a morning person. Hmmmmm...we'll probably never know the complete story unless we find ourselves in her inner circle of friends!

Mr. Cohen was dead on about the lack of research. When I see all the products from soup to nuts dressed in pink (including NFL players) for Breast Cancer awareness, I am wondering what the h*** we're doing wrong!? Richard Cohen once said on Larry King that M.S. just isn't a sexy enough disease to get much media attention. Maybe we are simply too tired to fight since fatigue is such a huge issue. Then you have the problem of "coming out"as having M.S. in fear of losing your job if you are still lucky enough to have a job.

As my daughter gets older and less needy, I feel that the time is coming for me to step up to the plate and contribute myself (with that one good hour I have every day!). With me, mother, 3 cousins and sister in law with M.S. we could do a "Reality Show"! Well, I do have a good sob story to contribute, just not money. That could be another BIG factor in why not enough money goes into M.S. research. For those of us who don't work, after we get our little bitty SSDI checks, there's nothing left for us to contribute to our own cause, as we've given every last dollar to the pharmacutical companies.. It's not just us MSers but our entire families that feel the financial burden of M.S.

It would be great if our cause wound up on "Dancing with the Stars" or some such thing. Maybe we could convince Rain Pryor to get on that show (or "Celebrity Apprentice" if that's still on the air)"!
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
            Richard Cohen once said on Larry King that M.S. just isn't a sexy enough disease to get much media attention. Maybe we are simply too tired to fight since fatigue is such a huge issue. Then you have the problem of "coming out"as having M.S. in fear of losing your job if you are still lucky enough to have a job.
            You make good points, especially about the fatigue taking our energy to fight.

I also wonder if we aren't our own enemies in this area with regard to denial. On any given day there are numerous threads here about how bad MS isn't which I think makes it very difficult for those of us who are no longer to speak out thanks to MS.

It does garner admiration and support for someone to come out with cancer but MS, not so much imo.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
              You make good points, especially about the fatigue taking our energy to fight.

I also wonder if we aren't our own enemies in this area with regard to denial. On any given day there are numerous threads here about how bad MS isn't which I think makes it very difficult for those of us who are no longer to speak out thanks to MS.

It does garner admiration and support for someone to come out with cancer but MS, not so much imo.
              I am thinking of people like my step-mother, a 10 year breast cancer survivor. After going through horrible radiation treatments, she came back to the land of the living...fully and completely, as near as I can tell. She never missed a day of work during her radiation treatments and continued to earn 100K+ per year along with a promotion or two along the way. She never kept her cancer diagnosis a secret. Cancer is absolute, you either live or die while M.S. is just so messy. So many variables. It's hard to garner sympathy for a cause that is so misunderstood. We need more "Richard Cohens" out there.
              Tawanda

Comment

Meredith

I've had the honor and pleasure of working with Meredith at NBC. She is one of the sweetest, most honest and most sincere people I've ever met. Just because she hasn't totally given up her career doesn't mean she isn't taking care of her husband and her family. Every caregiver needs to keep something for themselves.
                Please don't attack people you don't know.
                Thanks.

Comment

Sorry to Meredith fans

Originally posted by jc View Post
                  I've had the honor and pleasure of working with Meredith at NBC. She is one of the sweetest, most honest and most sincere people I've ever met. Just because she hasn't totally given up her career doesn't mean she isn't taking care of her husband and her family. Every caregiver needs to keep something for themselves.
                  Please don't attack people you don't know.
                  Thanks.
                  Sorry I offended anyone about Meredith. I like her very much and was sorry to see her leave the Morning Show (I am watching it now, and it just isn't the same without her). My DD loves watching her on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". I was just joking around-did not to ruffle anyone's feathers, but apparently I did....

The truth is, Meredith and her husband are among very few celebrities I see advocating for us MSers. I also was strengthened by reading Richard's book upon my diagnosis years ago.
                  Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                    Sorry I offended anyone about Meredith. I like her very much and was sorry to see her leave the Morning Show (I am watching it now, and it just isn't the same without her). I was just joking around-did not to ruffle anyone's feathers, but apparently I did....

Yeah, same here.
                    Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                    X