Amprya Helping or Not??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amprya Helping or Not??

I've been taking 10mg 2/day for about 1 1/2 months and I don't really see any difference. Walking a bit better but not sure if that is the shoes and/or afo brace...

Wondering what dose you are taking and for how long. Did you see improvements right away or take a while?

Thanks!
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Same dosage as you, now on it for almost 18 months, it has really helped me alot and was quite quickly also in less than a week.
    Try not taking a dose or 2 and see what happens, most people say they can feel the difference but like all ms drugs it affects everyone differently.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

ampyra?

hi jbell, when i started ampyra about 20mos ago i had a nasty cold virus. ampyra didnt seem to be working. all of a sudden my cold resolved and i couldnt believe how good i felt. in all, it took about 5 or6 weeks to peak for me. for me it does so much more then just help me walk. when i forget a dose i be come extremely stiff and my brain has trouble processing. when i take the missed dose about 45 mins later it feels like somebody turned the power back on. all i can say is "ampyra is the best med for me". hope it works for you, all the best barry

Comment

Ampyra has given me my life back. I felt a change in just days. It has been 18 months now and it has done much more then help my walking. I agree with the poster who said two stop taking it and then see if there is any differance. The drug rep I have spoken with said if you are not seeing anything after a month or so you will not. They said my results where a super responder. Not all will see the same results.

Comment

Ampyra My doc wants me on it but at what cost?

My doc wants to put me on Ampyra, but my insurance company refused to pay for it. I don't know the cost yet as the drug company and I have played phone tag. How do the rest of you pay for it and how expensive is it?

Thanks for listening,
          Bobbi

Comment

Mine was costing me 30.00 a month copay, but I am now being treated by VA and it is a 9.00 copay. They do have a copay assistance program also.

Comment

If you can't afford or qualify for AMPYRA there is always the option of taking 4-aminopyridine ("4-AP")

AMPYRA is 4-AP, hence the name "Am (amino) Pyra (pyridine)".

AMPYRA is made using Acorda's time-release formula in a tablet while 4-AP is dispensed (by a compounding pharmacy) in an instant release capsule. You need to take 4-AP about every 5-6 hours to keep it in your system versus AMPYRA once every 12 hours. There are compounding pharmacies that make a 4-AP timed-release product but there is some debate on how effective it is.

Someone will probably comment on the safety of 4-AP versus AMPYRA because if you misuse 4-AP it can cause seizures. AMPYRA delivers a lower dose over 24 hours (20mg). 4-AP has been used for over a decade for people with spinal damage.

But if you can't get AMPYRA what's your option?

I've been taking 4-AP, 10mg every 5-6 hours, three times a day for over three years and I've never had a problem.

The cost difference is amazing. 300 caps of 10mg 4-AP (a 100 day supply) just cost me about $100 (cash - no insurance), or about a buck a day (from Skip's Pharmacy).

My neuro happily prescribes it because he has such a hard time qualifying patients for AMPYRA.

Here is a good overview on 4-AP written by Dr. Wise Young, who I believe is probably now a multi-millionaire executive at Acorda Therapeutics.

4-AP: All You Need to Know

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/news/May2000/4APFAQ.html

Comment

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I will check out the website you recommended. That being said I cannot even afford the $1 a day you mentioned for 4-AP. So, I guess I will have to forgo either of these medications and get on with my life. I was diagnosed in 1977 and have been very lucky compared to some folks. I am ambulatory and drive short distances like church and the grocery. I am now 70 yrs young.

Comment

Check with the drug company, many have programs for low income people, they would rather sell it at a lower price than to not sell it at all and I am sure they are still trying to get more people on it also.

Comment

Ampyra

Hi Scooter,
                    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that if I can get ahold of them as we have been playing phone tag. My concern about the medication is the doctor told me that one of the side effects is seizures.

Comment

The risk of seizures is quite measurable with 4-AP, not as much so with Ampyra. However, if you have ever had a seizure problem you cannot take Ampyra. It is very expensive, $14000 per year, so the Insurance wined, but I have MS and it is the only Medication Approved for MS Symptoms so they had to approve it, Medicare.
                      Bill
                      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Ampyra helping or not

Hi Wikita,
                        Thanks for the seizure warning info. I will have to evaluate the medication and see if we can somehow afford it as my neurologiest felt it would help me a lot. I have not ever had a seizure.

Blessings,
                        Bobbi

Comment

Make sure you are calling the correct number as there are numerous ones, go to this web page and it has the info you need

http://ampyra.com/newly_prescribed/financial/

Comment

Ampyra helping or not

Thanks Scooter, I will check it out and do whatever needs to be done to see about financial assistance. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Ampyra has been a miracle for me, but it only works for 30-40% of people. I noticed a HUGE difference within hours of taking the first pill. It wasn't a placebo effect because I was depressed & sure it wouldn't work for me. I have PPMS so I am pretty fatalistic about the whole thing.

When it was first approved there was a story on the news that the manufacturer was committed to making it available to everyone who needs it for no more than $40 per month. My insurance has some strange rules so Accorda covered the cost, less $40 a month, for over a year. Now my private insurance covers almost all of it but I would be willing to pay more if there were no other way.

Ampyra has made my life worth living again - not just because of the improvement in walking but in my much decreased levels of pain & fatigue which have also improved my mood.

Good luck with it. I hope it works for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X