How do you define remission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you define remission?

My bet there is a great variation in its definition...
    xxxxxxxxxxx

I think the way they refer to remission is when you return to your original state prior to the relapse..........

I don't' have relapses or remissions anymore, they stopped last year now i'm an everydayer

why are you asking, all well with you??
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

where does incomplete recoveries fit into that?
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I have never had a remission. I have had a day or two of feeling pretty good, but in general....I feel a decline in my ability to function everyday.
        I think I am probably PPMS or SPMS, but my doc wants me on a med, so he leaves me labeled as RRMS.
        DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean? do you mean you don't' return to your original baseline that you had prior to the relapse?

that would be whatever damage occurred from the attack...... i had new symptoms last year when i used to have flare ups, they stayed and I did return to some sort of baseline yet w/more permanent stuff then i went into it. the symptoms became permanent so to speak.

did that make sense?
          Jen Dx'd 5/11
          "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

yes, that made sense...but it adds another level of complexity. what is the difference between a plateau and a remission?...how are they differentiated?

perhaps its the relapses that define remissions?

RR has relapses and remissions...any improvement after the relapse?...i think second stage SP has no relapses but it has plateau's.

but there is no such thing as 100% recovery after a relapse because some tissue damage will remain after the lesion exhibited invisibly by fatigue, temp sensitivity or tingling in extremities.

shouldn't remission not be a return to the state before the relapse?

as a person goes from early RR to mid stage RR to late stage RR there is less & less recovery? so wouldn't a return to the state before the relapse only occur in early stage RR? leaving mid stage & late stage RR returning to a baseline not the state before the relapse?

i'm just getting the sense that i am the only one who calls incomplete recovery still a part of RR
            xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Yes, that makes sense. I've had MS for 20 years, in the beginning I had attacks and they went away, but over the years I've always had weird numbness and in the last two years my left leg doesn't want to cooperate with me all the time.

To be honest I don't pay much attention to the RR, PP, or SPMS labels. I am in remission right now after a pretty big flare last summer, but I still deal with the everyday MS stuff...numb left hand, weaker/foot drop left leg. Most people who don't know me wouldn't know I had MS.

I am sure there is a medical definition, but for me it's all about how I feel. Feeling good=remission, I usually feel bad during a flare, and I can usually feel it coming on.
              Opiegirl, Dx 1991
              Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
              Estriol 9/12-present
              Still Hopeful.

Comment

Working...
              X