No announcement yet.

Getting crap for using handicapped parking stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hampshire state law is a minimum $ 250 fine for parking in a handicap space with no plate/placard, and it sounds like cities and towns can add their own additional fine.

Looks like misuse of handicap plates/placard is also $ 250.

Comment

Sorry to hear this happens to you.

It has actually happened to me more than once also.

It's very difficult...and frankly, I don't need to explain my medical condition to anyone....privacy, right?!

Now I just ignore them...or if they're staring etc, I ask them if I can help them...
      coffa

Comment

I also wanted to comment briefly on what was said earlier, "Oh and how about those people at walmart or malls that use the electric carts and they certainly do NOT need them! So there are none for those of us that DO.
        Not all of us can get a free scooter from the scooter store.
        That is what gets me going.
        Then they get up and walk on out of the store with no assistance what-so-ever.
        That is when I think to myself being fat or lazy doesn't make you handicapped
        "

There certainly ARE people who take advantages they're not entitled to, electric carts included. But before I was using a cane on a regular basis, there were times when I walked in and out of the store but just didn't have the strength or energy to make it around the store without the electric cart.

I'm sure there were people who looked at me and thought I was fat (I am) and lazy (sometimes I'm that, too), but I'm also handicapped.
        "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future."

Comment

i don't drive any more but it used to be a common problem! even before the MS i was in a manual chair after an amputation and spinal problems and despite unloading a wheelchair and transferring into it, on many occassions i got glared at by older people- one day this woman possibly mid 60's with a cane, parked behind me after i pulled into a disabled space and abused me of parking there- i pointed out my permit and she said that it was nothing but a good forgery!! i then pointed out the chair and the missing limb and she said that still did not matter- that i was too young and she needed the space more! -in fact there was another standard space a few metres away that would have been ok for a walking person-i needed the extra space to get the chair out of the car. her assertion was that she had the right to that space as she had the permit, she did not care that there was another space, she wanted the disabled space and i was too young to use it- no arguning that logic

if the query is polite i do not mind as as has been said it is helping to protect the turf for all but it does need to be remebered that not all disabilities are visible- i used to have a bumper sticker that reminded people to check the permit not the person. its always going to be an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkgirl View Post
            If only we were covered in green spots or something. I have often thought (but not had the nerve to say), I'll trade you how *I* look with how *you* feel.
            You know Hawkgirl, I think you have a very good idea! How about once we are diagnosed with MS the Neuro hooks up up with a great tattoo parlor and we all get huge colored dots on our face. I'd say just orange, but maybe it needs to be all colors.

Debbie

Comment

That's just the epitome of rude, kebsa. She's someone I would TOTALLY ignore!!

I can very rarely get a h/c spot in certain parking lots. I have a conversion van and use either my wheelchair or my scooter when I'm out. I can't walk at all anymore...not even one little step. I'm 54 years old. I've had MS for 32 years.
              “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
              Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Hello jazzgirl, off topic, are you the one in the middle? The chap on the right is the dead spit of Mr Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                  Hello jazzgirl, off topic, are you the one in the middle? The chap on the right is the dead spit of Mr Obama.
                  Nope, that's my daughter. I'm the one on the end, and that's my husband on the other end. My daughter and husband both have that Sici dark Italian skin. I'm Napolitano. Believe it or not, I have a 100% Italian ancestry and I'm fair-skinned and blue-eyed (somebody did some pillaging back in the very distant day ).

Now, lets return to our regularly scheduled programming (sorry for the thread deviation, folks! ).
                  “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                  Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Late

I know I'm late to this shindig, but it seems to me that if you have been issued the handicapped parking tag and need to use it, then you should use it. If you're between flares and don't need to use it, don't. And ignore the old people who have gotten one simply because of their age but are no more enfeebled than if they were still in their 40's.

Comment

Off topic, jazz girl but you're all gorgeous.
                      Back on topic, old bat looking daggers at me today when I parked as entitled outside the supermarket. Staring, staring, glowering. She had a cane, waiting for a cab.
                      I smiled, warmly as I lurched past. "It's a terrible thing being handicapped so young, isn't it?"
                      She did not reply.

Comment

HC PLACARD

I just received my placard and afterwards I received a letter from my state (Alabama) wanting a letter from my doctor stating whether or not I am capable of driving. I couldn't believe it!! They will suspend my license if I don't provide the letter!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tweet067 View Post
                          I just received my placard and afterwards I received a letter from my state (Alabama) wanting a letter from my doctor stating whether or not I am capable of driving. I couldn't believe it!! They will suspend my license if I don't provide the letter!!!
                          Hopefully you can get the letter in time, but I can't say I'm upset that they double check that those who need the placards are safe to drive. I'm glad you and many, many others are safe on the road, but I'd rather here be a double check.

Comment

Gomer here....tossing his hat in the circus.........

I have both a hang tag and HC plates. A couple years ago I was in DC during the cherry blos. festival. I went round and round trying to park. The cops would NOT let me into a HC lot. Finally I got the attention of one, not near a HC lot and asked. He asked me if I had a hang tag, and to DRIVE with it in the window so the traffic cop would let me into the HC lot. (took me 3hrs to get to park)...

In mich they put the last 3 digits and initial from your D/L on the hang tag, so they can compare your D/L # and tag.

Gomer

Comment

That seems rather invasive for the state to demand a doctor's letter as proof that you can drive. After all, some people can't drive but have a handicapped placard they use to park close when someone else drives them.

If you are driving, presumably you have to pass a driver's license test in order to obtain/renew your license. When I got my HC placard, my doctor inquired as to how my driving was, how I planned to use the HC placard - which is, on good days when I don't need it, I don't use it. If it is a bad day when I think I will have trouble walking long distances (like back out of the store when I finish shopping, even if I walked into the store fine) then I do use the placard.

And if it is a really bad day when I do not feel capable of driving, I either don't go out or I ask my husband to drive me.

And it is odd, but sometimes I do have to drive with the hang tag hanging from the review mirror so that the traffic director can see it and point me (or my friend or relative who is driving me) toward the handicapped parking. Otherwise, my tag specifically says do NOT drive with it hanging on the rear view mirror.

Comment

My doctor just signed off on my application, and I'll get the placard today. I'll keep a list of zingers handy in case some jerk questions my status.
                                Dx'd on 10-17-11
                                Avonex since 10/28/11 - Tysabri since 1-26-12 - 18 doses, then Betaseron since 9/4/13
                                Don’t be ashamed to need help. Like a soldier storming a wall, you have a mission to accomplish. And if you’ve been wounded and you need a comrade to pull you up? So what? – Marcus Aurelius, Meditations Book 7

Comment

Working...
                                X