Getting crap for using handicapped parking stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting crap for using handicapped parking stalls

I have a handicapped parking tag for bad days & flares. I really only use it when I'm having a hard time. But it seems that nearly every single time I use it, I get ******* at or scowled at by an old man. One even questioned me about it. "What kind of disability do you have!?" Because he wanted my spot. It's always the men too.

I have a 2 year old little girl that I have to get out of the car and put in her stroller (which I use as my walker) and they assume that I'm perfectly fine because I'm lifting my kid and stuff. Well guess what, I'm a single mom I HAVE NO CHOICE whether or not to lift my kid in and out!

I'm getting so irritated! I need some remarks to say back to these people. Please tell me I'm not the only being judged by the handicapped parking stall "police".

Trust me, I'd rather park in the back like I used to, and get some extra exercise.
    Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Hi shutterbug

I had lady 'rush' at me on her scooter..her husband was close behind looking very embarrassed. I told her I had MS, and her husband looked relieved and told her "let's go!".

You're a 'newbie', after a while it won't bother you so much..These people are patrolling and protecting "our turf".

Bless you..I know it's hard being a single Mom..I have 3 myself.
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Say, "I've got Multiple Sclerosis. You haven't got a car park I'll swap anytime you like."
      Or you can try, "Judge not lest ye yourself be judged".
      Or, "Get stuffed."
      You're quite right, it is usually older men.
      I've had more then one who felt the need to tell me I was "a cripple", as though I would be soooooo surprised.
      "And you're an insensitive old *******," is what I say under my breath.

Comment

Hello shutterbug,

I have so many stories about parking in HC and the dirty looks, remarks, getting yelled at and even told I could not park in HC by a store employee...really? (as I showed the employee my HC placard).

I have been dealing with this sort of thing since I was 24 years old and it gets really old really fast. The only thing I say is, if you have a problem you can call the police, They can find me inside.

I figured as I got older I would have less problems when parking in HC...Nope. Someone even commented I wasn't handicapped because of what I drive

Sometimes when having MS and using HC parking you need to develope a thick skin
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I always say, "IF YOU WOULD LIKE A DOCTOR'S NOTE, I'D BE HAPPY TO PROVIDE ONE" This always shuts them up.

Comment

My favorite is when they say "you don't look handicapped"

If they are somewhat nice about it I just smile and show them my cane, if they are being a bit jerky about it I say " well you don't look stupid to me either" it usually shuts them up.
            Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

It has happened to me more than once.

Now, I have a sticker on my car that says:" You can have my handy capped parking spot, if you take my MS too."

Haven't been bothered in quite some time.

Those comments would make me mad and sad. That was years ago. Now I would probably come back with a quick and not so lady like response.

I just don't take crap from ignorant people anymore. Dealing with MS for so many years, you learn to stand up for yourself.

You will get there, too!

Good luck!
              dx 5/95 rrms

Comment

this is an interesting post to me. I feel guilty most of the time when using my HC sticker to park. I will drive around and if I can find a regular space that is not too far away, I will take that.
                I haven't had anyone say anything to me yet, but I am afraid I would just cry!
                My daughter says, I should use the HC parking space everytime, it is the least we get for having this horrible disease!!
                DX: RRMS Jan 2010 -- LDN: Mar 2010-Dec 2010, Tysabri: Feb 2011 reaction, Gilenya: Aug 2011 reaction, Copaxone: Oct 2011 reaction, Tecfidera: May 2013 reaction

Comment

Scooter24 - THANK YOU! That is perfect and will use it!
                  Since the placards come with your drivers license picture on them now, I don't get bothered as much anymore.

Comment

People in East TN must be more polite. I have never had anyone say anything when I park in a handicapped space or even look like they're going to. (I have permanent disability tags.) I don't use the spaces unless I need them, but then sometimes I'll be in a store and don't know I need them until I've been in there awhile.

I do have a pretty pronounced limp, so maybe that's why no one has ever questioned me about it. If anyone did ever say that I don't look handicapped, I'd just say, "And you don't look like my doctor either."
                    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I am wanting to get a sticker for my flareups, because frankly walking is downright painful. If I can shorten my walk a little bit, I would be ecstatic.

But I'm ready for the try-hards that attempt to say something. This is a military town. I'll pull out my little blue retiree card and glare. "I'm a disabled military vet with MS. Shut the **ll up."

That will get rid of the majority of them.

Comment

Originally posted by shutterbug518 View Post
                        I need some remarks to say back to these people.
                        #1. You don't look handicaped... response- Thanks! You don't look stupid!
                        #2 Get away from me and shut your mouth before I call the police and charge you with harrasment.
                        #3 Is there a cure for ignorance?
                        #4 Obviously I have a problem with my legs or I would have kicked you in the nuts for being so rude.

Then there are many other ones that I cannot post here because they are too nasty.

MS can rob us of our quick wit but if you prepare your snappy answers ahead of time you can have some fun with it.

Comment

haha - tommylee, #4 is my favorite!!!
                          Dx October 10th, 2011 - Syringomyelia (Syrinx of the upper cervical spinal cord at the C1-C2 level, 2 x 10 mm), cause yet to be determined...
                          October 28, 2011 - Gabapentin is my new best friend.

Comment

Have only used my placard a few times so haven't experienced this yet.

But I think my response would be something along the lines of "I'd be happy to let you take my MS AND my placard if you wish."

Comment

I am just about to get mine. I cannot wait, walking is painful at times.

I DARE anyone to tell me something. I'll get all former punk rock mobile home subdivision girl on them. I do not think it will be too hard, either. I had to quit taking wellbutrin b/c of anxiety attacks and I am going thru the "change".

scroo that, we put up with enough.

LBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X