No announcement yet.

Getting crap for using handicapped parking stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I wrote earlier in the thread, I have a HP and I use it fairly often. I got it because I have bad degenerative disease in my lower back (spinal stenosis and multiple herniated disks). Most days walking is extremely painful for me; I cannot straighten up without severe pain. Even trying to gargle after brushing my teeth, which requires standing straight and (obviously) throwing the head back sends unbearable pain to my back and all parts below.

That said...I think that, at least in South Florida, doctors sign off on too many HPs. Here, it's almost impossible to find disabled parking. I think there are far too few spaces for disabled parking to begin with, especially given the volume of drivers holding HPs. Also, I have no doubt that many HPs are being used illegally by family members who are not the driver who was issued the HP. As for involving the police, I don't believe in doing that, personally. The police here have their hands full with real bad guys, although they do seem to have time for rounding up speeders with the radar gun And I just don't have the time to get embroiled in a parking space conflict. But really, I have a lot of "healthy" patients who somehow get disabilities, Medicare, HPs and God knows what else. Too many.

Anyway, that's my view...

rex

Comment

I have a placard and only use it if I absolutely have to - uneven surfaces are my downfall, literally or if I will have to walk really far or am dizzy from the ride.

However, my thigh weakness is my Achilles heel and getting out of a car, up from a low chair or couch and most important from a low toilet bowl is a big problem. People have no compassion in the bathroom and take over the handicapped stalls because they want the larger size. I need the higher bowl and grab handles yet have to wait for healthy people to exit and sometimes I just can't wait. I almost had to call 911 in Costco because I could not get up and was mortified and finally made it by hanging on the toilet tissue holder. I carry a portable grab handle with suction cups now.

Recently, a young mom with 2 children loudly complained that someone was in the "big" bathroom. These children were munchkins and the low toilet bowl is perfect for them. I was fuming while she complained to the kids as though they were entitled to use the handicapped stall, and set her straight when I got out. For me it is not an option and I would gladly give her my disease so her "Occupy Handicapped" would not be wasted. I reminded her that I had to sell my beloved Corvette because I could not get out of it and I earned the handicapped stall the hard way.

Comment

Just a reminder - many of us "look so good," but our bladders do not show to the outside world. In some of those narrow regular stalls it is impossible to self-cath or change an adult diaper, so even people who "look healthy" may really need a handicapped parking place or bathroom stall.

I'm glad I 'look so good," because then it is harder for employers and co-workers to identify me as "a crip" and discriminate against me, and I can do many things much more easily than if I were a WC user, but OTOH, it's not always obvious that I have a legitimate need for a handicapped placard. I don't care much for those who second guess my experienced, board-certified physician who does believe I am handicapped, so he filled out my application for the placard.

Comment

Working...
        X