Employed/Unemployed/Retired???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employed/Unemployed/Retired???

For people on disability, when you encounter a question on a form that asks you your employment status. Disability is never one of the options. Which do you select?

For the past 7 years i have selected Unemployed. I am encountering it again--i think this time i will select Retired. And call it "disability-retired" in my mind. Before I guess I called "disability-unemployed" in my mind. What do you do? Think it makes a difference?
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Employeed/Unemployed/Retired

I always use "retired", unless disabled is an option. I say that when someone asks why I'm home all day too. We have some nosy people at the complex where I live. I just smile and agree how lucky I am to have "retired" in my 50's.

Comment

I'm so glad you wrote in your response about the nosy people in your complex. I think I will use retirred from now on when disabled isn't an option too.
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Ouch. I'm 39 years old and I will never work again. If "disabled" is not an option, I check "retired." I get so much mail for things that a 70-year-old person would need. I think SSDI sells my info. I have been "retired" since I was 30 years old. That makes me so sad.
        Proud Mom of three kids!
        dx'd 1996

Comment

I struggle with this as well. Disabled is typically not an option on forms so I check "homemaker" or "retired".

Comment

I'd write 'disabled' on the form, in pen. I do that when I have to vote and there's no-one worth voting for. (Voting is compulsory in Australia, federal, state, local council.) I draw a box, write 'none of the above' and tick it.

Comment

I was/used medically retired before 40, at least that is what I used. I hated to admit I was on disability.

I tried to avoid going on SSDI, till it was a matter of survival. I could work but I could not pass a physical for any job I could actually do. I even went thru voc rehab who wrote me off. They said I was being "unreasonable" to expect employment. MY neuro issues were chalked up to my being diabetic. Now we know it was the MS all this time.

Gomer Great topic..

Comment

Medically retired...that was the term i was looking for not disabilty retired. medically retired sounds classier, thanks.
                xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                  I'd write 'disabled' on the form, in pen. I do that when I have to vote and there's no-one worth voting for. (Voting is compulsory in Australia, federal, state, local council.) I draw a box, write 'none of the above' and tick it.

Isn't that funny. Compulsory voting is the height of irony and your solution points that out.

Comment

Working...
                  X