Planning for the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning for the future

Hi. I could use some advice from those of you that work in the medical field on which course of study might be the most promising and doable for me in the future. As you know, with all of these fun little health issues that spring up out of nowhere, some of us have to worry about our future physical level of functioning in addition to the future of the workforce and all that jazz too.

I'm trying to make up my mind on these different courses of study. Some cost more than others, but all will take me about the same amount of time. I want to pick something that will have some security or demand, yet not be so physical I can't do the job.

Respiratory Therapist
    Physician's Assistant
    Biochem/Molecular Biology
    Health Information Management

Are there any insiders that could help me parse this out? I've had some bigger episodes this last year that left some residual, minor, barely noticeable problems - like minor hand tremors and minor blurred vision - both disappear altogether at times. Other than that, my worst problem is fatigue. If I walk more than 2 miles in a day, I feel it the next. If I walk more than 3 miles in a day, I feel it for the rest of the week.

I have a lot to give if I'm not working physically. But at the same time, I'm not seeing a lot of promise in the two choices above that are more sedentary - the HIM and the biotech.

However, the other two programs have physical requirements, and if I had a flare up during the training (two solid years), they could toss me out on my ear and I'd not have any way to pay back those loans. That would be a disaster.

Such a tough decision. This horrific job market isn't helping either.
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

The medical field isn't going anywhere so you are looking in the right place.

I've met two nurses lately with MS and they say being on their feet really takes a toll.

I know there are great positions available in the management side of it right now. I took billing and coding classes because you can eventually work from home at your own pace. Transcription seems to be going away in lieu of the new computer progams but it seems like they still use the coders. I was unable to finish those courses and didn't get into the field, another thing I regret.

I was going to get my masters in public health years ago, I think those types of careers would have suited me once I was dx.

good luck with your decision, I sure wish I had been able to get back into the medical field. It's so rewarding and I'm so glad you feel good and eager to still work!!!!
    This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

I know I couldn't do nursing because of how physical it is. I do massage now and it's too much if I have more than one or two in a day. Even after one, I can tell a real difference the next day.

If only money and energy weren't the show-stoppers. It would be nice to be able to just take some courses and peck away at a degree little bits at a time. The problem is, the merit scholarships are for full-time only, and it's nearly impossible to afford the education without them.

It's like a set-up to only include highly energetic, physically healthier people in the world of advanced knowledge and participation. What a sad state of affairs we have in this country. I know I have something to contribute, but money and time restrictions are the roadblocks now. Before, it was money, energy and transportation.

What you're describing is what attracted me to the HIT program in the first place - eventually it's going to be remote work. If it can go remote, it can go overseas. It's happening in the medical coding world right now. Plus, the field is oversaturated already.

Nothing is safe, except the hands-on jobs, like respiratory therapy or physician's assistant.

Comment

Hi jj:
        How interested are you in computers and information technology? That's an important question because HIM is as much general information management as it is health care.

If the US Bureau of Labor Statistics can be believed:
        "Employment [for medical records and health information technicians] is expected to grow much faster than the average.
        "Job prospects should be very good, particularly for technicians with strong computer software skills."

If your IT skills are good, your employment opportunities would extend beyond the health care field (which is already huge). While it's true that information management is easily outsourced, there are still many, many organizations (health-delivery and otherwise) that don't want their data managed by a company in Asia.

Nothing is safe, except the hands-on jobs, like respiratory therapy or physician's assistant.
        Maybe that should stop with "nothing is safe." Here in California, there are dentists, optometrists and chiropractors who can't find a decent job in their profession.

Comment

I'm interested in computers and IT. I've decided to stick with the HIM for now. It's the safest option. I'd love to finish the biochem and do some research, but can't make the commute to where the jobs are. I'm still having days that I need to sleep 12 hours to get back on track and any other choice is too much of a risk. Limits suck.

Comment

I'm a nurse but think that respiratory therapists are on their feet as much as we are and it is also a pretty high stress job because it is about keeping the all essential airway going.

Being a PA probably takes longer and is another high stress job because you are writing prescriptions and basically doing the job of a physician with only mininal supervision.

I'm not trying to discourage you from planning for your future because I think it is essential just wondering if maybe nursing with its flexiblity with regard to hours and all the different fields might be a less physical option in the long run.

In any event if you aren't able to get through whatever program you are pretty well screwed but that was the gamble I took also and the reason I did it in small blocks with my LPN to RN to BSN to MSN. Long round about way but in between each one it opened the door for more opportunities. Good luck!
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I know you wouldn't try to discourage me, only make me see the reality of the situation. Reality is one of those things that changes from day-to-day or week-to-week. On the good days, I start getting overly optimistic and thinking I can do X if it stays this way. Then bam, the next week is back to, "Maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea."

The way you've done it in chunks is probably the best way to go about it. I could get into the RRA program almost immediately (for the BS) because I've finished all the coursework for that years ago at the school with the program. But the commute is to the big city everyday for about a year. I can't seem to make it to class everyday of the week out here in the boonies.

The nursing program, I know I could do. I came close to finishing that years ago as well. It's the job of constant running I don't think I could hack.

I wonder if getting an RN and a HIM might open different doors of the more sedentary type?

Comment

I don't know anything about HIM but know that RN has more flexibility than most people would think. With a little experience you could do telephonic nursing answering questions like the nurses at our DMD companies do, Drs office or even night shift on the psych unit which I did while getting my BSN wasn't physically difficult.

With you BSN you can do clincal rotations as an instructor for colleges and nurse managers in my experience are rarely on the floor instead hold up in their office doing the mounds of paper work and going to meetings. I think nursing is great because at least in my area it is common to get health benefits with as little as 20 hours a week and I also make a decent income.

Overall I think nursing is worth a second look if you think you can get through the rigors of nursing school which was the least nurturing environment I could imagine, lol.

In any event we do need some kindness from this miserable disease and good luck I guess. Kudos to you for trying to plan for your future! Best of luck and please keep us posted.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Thanks for the info and support. I appreciate your experience and input. Nursing is worth a second look. I always thought floor experience was the minimum in venturing out into other roles. However, I'm seeing insurance co's accept new grad RNs without experience for work reviewing records.

As far as environment is concerned, it's not necessarily a nurturing environment I'm looking for, more so a social outlet. Although, working with sharks isn't exactly the future I see for myself either.

I will keep you posted, for now, I'll go ahead with the HIT and maybe peck away at some nursing prereq's, too. If no job is forthcoming after the HIT, I'll probably back it up with the nursing program.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
                    Hi jj:
                    How interested are you in computers and information technology? That's an important question because HIM is as much general information management as it is health care.

If the US Bureau of Labor Statistics can be believed:
                    "Employment [for medical records and health information technicians] is expected to grow much faster than the average.
                    "Job prospects should be very good, particularly for technicians with strong computer software skills."

If your IT skills are good, your employment opportunities would extend beyond the health care field (which is already huge). While it's true that information management is easily outsourced, there are still many, many organizations (health-delivery and otherwise) that don't want their data managed by a company in Asia.

Maybe that should stop with "nothing is safe." Here in California, there are dentists, optometrists and chiropractors who can't find a decent job in their profession.
                    Nothing is safe. I'm reading more and more about these jobs getting outsourced. In fact, the premier organization in this country for establishing standards for education and credentialing has gone global and is training workers overseas.

It won't be long and this will all go the way that medical transcription has gone. In an effort to reduce costs, they'll get rid of every American worker possible leaving just the care providers, upper management, and facility/equipment maintenance workers. It won't be long and they'll find a way to get rid of the facilities as well. Surgery at home by PA anyone?

I just registered for my second semester and already I'm thinking of dropping and switching to IT. Word has it the Senate Finance Committee is planning on cutting funds to the ONC - the organization charged with leading the transition to EHRs - when they were supposed to get a huge increase - like a 400% increase.

Without the funds to distribute to providers and hospitals to make the transition, the HIM jobs that were supposed to come about likely won't, and there will be a whole lot of students and new grads holding a bag of horse pucky with a $6000 price tag attached, with interest. Even IT is shaky at this point.

Maybe I should just take something personally fulfilling, like piano. LOL

Comment

I have finally figured this out. I'm not doing nursing. New grads are having a hard time finding jobs and I know I can't do that physical of a job. So . . . the next best thing, where they still accept new grads, and have jobs everywhere, is a medical assistant. Plus, it's a foot in the door and a stepping stone to the records jobs. The starting pay is about half what a nurse makes, but twice the minimum wage.

I've got half of the requirements done for the program already, so only need about six classes over three semesters to finish it off (they're sequential in this program, so no choice but to spread it out).

I can work on both HIT and MA at the same time, while boning up on some hard core IT knowledge. How's a triple major sound?

Think I'll be a shoe in at a docs office with that triple play? The hope is to get my foot in the door, get a little experience in all three arenas and finish a bachelor's online in either HIM or IT.

And the moment of peace has occurred. It's too hard to choose, so I'll just work on them all at the same time.

Comment

Just wanted to chime in regarding IT jobs, being a computer engineer myself and working for one of the top 5 software giants, I can say that IT job has great flexibility. Work from home (ranging from 50 - 100% ) options and flexible work arrangements etc. and money is really great.

DH has MS and he is in IT too and had first ON episode last week. Luckily he had only one eye affected, so he was able to work through his episode (from home) without taking off and was even able to get IV steroids (for 3 days) at home.

The only thing with IT jobs is that you have a deadline and it might be a bit pressured around that deadline. But most companies do not micro manage as long as you meet your deadlines and perform well.

So I would say HIT would be a great field for you to invest in.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Ap. What level of education do you need to work in IT from home? And what would you suggest be the focus of that training for someone just starting out in the field? I'm planning on linux, database and programming, but not sure about the depth of training the community college offers.

Comment

I have to toss this out there, I'm half-way through a video course from TestOut for their A+ cert. It's outdated, doesn't cover Win7, but I'm pecking away at it little bits at a time.

Comment

Degree for IT jobs

You do need Bachelors for a good IT job. I was going through my company's open requirements and every single job stated a requirement of Bachelors degree.

Business intelligence is something that is booming right now and will be here to stay for long time (since you can have BI in all verticals including healthcare, finance, etc)

So you are right on target with the database programming line.

Comment

Working...
                              X