No announcement yet.

MRI - Contrast Dye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am allergic to the gadolidium dye. The protocol for an allergic reaction at my hospital is prednisone at certain hours before my MRI plus benadryl. The hospital no longer uses gadolidium but due to my previous history, I have to continue with the premedication. They also administer the dye very slowly and I have to get the MRI at the hospital and not a satellite MRI center.

Comment

Uggh...

Well my doctor ordered the MRI with the contrast dye... the nurse said that he wants to see if any lesions are active. I told her I was nervous and that I don't think it matters if they are active, all that I need with this MRI is to see if I have a brain infection or any additional lesions because I'm not on the Tysabri at the moment.

She said to wait and talk with the MRI people when they set up my appt. See what they have to say depending on what happened to me the last time... I asked if I can refuse the contrast if I'm still uncomfortable with the response and she said the main thing is that I get an MRI so I should call them after I talk to the MRI people if I'm still worried.

So.. waiting right now for the mri people... lol I hate my MEMORY! I can never remember the correct words for things anymore. Drives me crazy!

Comment

?

Do you have any food allergies? Sometimes there is overlap. I am allergic to shellfish (not iodine) and have never had a reaction to contrast but they watch me like a hawk.

Good luck. I am not a doctor but a little benadryl before hand might relax you and put your mind at ease.
        M.
        A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
        Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm still waiting for them to call me, but I am pretty sure they told me that I should bring Benadryl along the next time, but I can't take it until "after" I have the MRI done. Not before.

Comment

Originally posted by rickalex2 View Post
            I asked if I can refuse the contrast if I'm still uncomfortable with the response
            The answer to that is an unqualified YES. That's why you're given a consent form to read and sign; that is, if you feel comfortable with the information contained therein. Traditionally, this was referred to as an informed consent, and the benefits and risks were explained in a brief sit-down session with a licensed physician. These days - and surprisingly so, in my view - a lot of corners are cut, and patients do not receive enough blunt talk with respect to the potential risks of an IV contrast injection.

In my experience, a lot more contrast is ordered than is actually needed. Many physicians don't truly understand what contrast will or will not contribute to the exam. In Florida, one need not even be a medical doctor to order gadolinium - even chiropractors may order it! And trust me, those guys are really clueless about gadolinium.

rex

Comment

I'm still waiting for them to call me, but I am pretty sure they told me that I should bring Benadryl along the next time, but I can't take it until "after" I have the MRI done. Not before.
              I think you're wrong about that. Premedicating with benadryl is pretty common. So, I'd call them to be sure.

rex

Comment

Well I'm still waiting for them to call and preregister me.. but in the meantime I was talking to my "regular family doctor" on email with other health issues and I told him about getting the MRI and being afraid of the contrast. He also told me that I should talk to the Neuro directly if they don't allow me to do the Benadryl "before" the MRI. He said its fine to do it first and even could do some prednisone with it prior to the contrast. So, I will wait to see what the MRI people have to say first and if they don't let me do it, I'll call the Neuro.

I love my Neuro. I've had some really crappy ones and I was referred to this one in 1993. He's like family now. But as his practice has gotten busier, its harder and harder to ever talk to him. I always have to go through nurses or faxes. He doesn't have email like my family doctor does. Starting to get to me... sigh~

Comment

I don't want to sound bossy... but... the protocol calls for prednisone and benadryl before the mri.

And with your history, I wouldn't not have the contrast anywhere except in a hospital setting with a dr. on alert.

Quick desolve benadryl should be available if you have any problems.

I don't want to be pushy, but I took benadryl after I had trouble and still needed liquid benadryl pushed through an iv to turn things around.

I don't want to scare you, but if after it is over your dr. wants to say I told you so I will let him .

Then I would do it the safe way again, and again, and again.

Take Care.

Comment

hi

i've never had the dye, i am allergic also...... you can also refuse it at the mri place. it's harder because you'll either have to catch a cool person who will just scratch off on the script which probably isn't legal or theyll have to get a new script written and faxed. either way its' your body.

ms is ms and honestly my neuros never complained about me not getting the dye. not once.

Jen Dx'd 5/11
                    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
                      you can also refuse it at the mri place. it's harder because you'll either have to catch a cool person who will just scratch off on the script which probably isn't legal or theyll have to get a new script written and faxed
                      You don't need a new script and you certainly don't want to alter the existing one! The patient just refuses the injection and the technologist makes a note for the radiologist. You probably would have to sign a "contrast refusal" form.

rex

Comment

Whew... well... finally did a last ditch effort to get out of doing the contrast dye by faxing my doctor last night telling him my fears and asked if it was absolutely necessary. He had a nurse call me and read verbatim a note he wrote. He basically said that he requires contrast to see whats active, however, I could go ahead and do it without contrast..but if he see's anything suspicious I'll have to go back and do it with the contrast. It was up to me. So I decided to do it without contrast and hope for the best! If I do end up needing another MRI, I will do it before the end of the year since I've already met my deductible and out of pocket maximum for the year and it would be free. Wish me luck!

Comment

I could go ahead and do it without contrast..but if he see's anything suspicious I'll have to go back and do it with the contrast.
                          You never have to do anything. And after having your throat close up following a gadolinium injection, I'm stunned that your doctor would deem it necessary under any circumstance. If Benadryl and prednisone were universal antidotes for anaphylaxis, then nobody would ever die from a reaction. A closed airway means no breathing!

There's no guarantee that you would have a reaction, but the chance of having one after having had a previous reaction is greater than if you hadn't had a prior reaction. So consider this...

rex

Comment

Thanks for the concern Rex, I will definitely keep your thoughts in mind if the Dr. would end up wanting me to have contrast dye the next time. This time I was able to do the MRI on Friday with no contrast and now I am awaiting the results. Hopefully I will hear soon and can move on with no need to do it again!

Comment

Lab tests for contrast dye

At the new clinic I go to, they make you take a lab test about two weeks before you are scheduled for the MRI with contrast dye to see if you are allergic to the dye. I'm wondering why that isn't done for you? Also I quickly read the posts to your new thread, and I didn't see anyone mention getting a lab test before the MRI. (Maybe I missed it.) What's up with that????

Comment

Originally posted by deescee View Post
                                At the new clinic I go to, they make you take a lab test about two weeks before you are scheduled for the MRI with contrast dye to see if you are allergic to the dye. I'm wondering why that isn't done for you? Also I quickly read the posts to your new thread, and I didn't see anyone mention getting a lab test before the MRI. (Maybe I missed it.) What's up with that????
                                The labs they request prior to a contrast MRI are not to determine if you're allergic to the contrast; they're done to assess your kidney function. The protocol calls for Bun and Creatnine measurements on all patients 60 years or older, because the gadolinium can be harmful to those with moderate-to-severe renal failure.

rex

Comment

Working...
                                X