It feels like a bubble in my throat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It feels like a bubble in my throat

That is literally the only way I can describe it. It feels like there is a rather large air bubble in my throat. It isn't really painful but it's incredibly uncomfortable. It started a couple of days ago and hasn't gone away. I've tried drinking and eating I even burped a couple times but it won't go away.

On top of that I've had a horrible tension in my lower neck that is radiating out to my shoulders. This does hurt and I would have thought that the Baclofen I'm taking would help with this. Sadly it doesn't. I'm wondering if the neck tension and the throat bubble might be connected.

To make matters worse, today the company I work for had an end of year audit. With having a bubble in my throat and my neck tensed up on top of all my other daily symptoms I had to deal with this auditor. Luckily she was easy going and didn't make the whole thing a pain in the butt.

So in addition to the bubble and neck issues, around 10 am the left side of my back went numb. All day it was either numb or tingly (pins and needles) and it still hasn't gone away. This is completely new to me. The last time I had numbness it was both my legs up to my waist. This numbness is from my waist to almost my neck and only on the left side.

I'm kind of freaking out a little here. I don't know if I should call my neuro or my pcp? Is it even something I should be calling my drs about? I'm so new to this whole thing that I don't know what to think let alone do. So I came here because if anything you guys are super supportive.

So has anyone else experienced a bubble in there throat? Should I be concerned about it? Ugh this is so frustrating.

Thanks,
    Heather

How's your thyroid? I had that feeling -- or a similar feeling, sort of like unrelenting pressure in my throat -- when my thyroid swelled up, right before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

At the same time, it was clear that my thyroid was enlarged (you could see it when I tilted my head back), so it'd be pretty simple to tell if your thyroid is enlarged.

Comment

They checked my thyroid back in april before I was dx. Everything was fine then. Should I need it checked again so soon?

Comment

it's simple

A blood test will tell whether your thyroid is working right or not.
        First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
        Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

I think it depends on what your doctor thinks. For me, my thyroid was visibly swollen -- you could see it swelling in my neck -- when it was giving me that pressure feeling on my lower neck. The pressure/bubble feeling wasn't from having low thyroid hormone, but from the fact my thyroid itself was completely swollen. Can you feel, with your fingers, any swelling on your lower neck?

Comment

No there is no swelling in my neck. Its not as bad this morning as it has been the last couple days. We'll see what happens as the day goes on.

Comment

I HAVE THIS!!

Crazy enough. I know exactly what you are talking about. It feels like somethings in there and it WON'T go away. It doesnt hurt, it just feels like your throat is tight, right? I never thought of it being like a "bubble" but it does make sense to call it that. I always called it a "ball" I always though that maybe it was extra phlem?? I just never could swallow it down.

So maybe it is the ms huh? WEIRD.

It's definately nice to know that I'm not the only one.

I know it's nothing because I had a cervical mri and a nuclear med scan done on my thyroid plus saw an ENT as well. Different issue....but the feeling was there through all those tests and nothing came back on it. I even said something to the ENT when he looked down my throat with a mirror and felt it and he said nothing was abnormal.

????? Maybe it's a form of the ms hug????? I have NO IDEA. But it's a bit annoying, to say the least.
              Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
              Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

OK, I preface this with the disclaimer that I have no medical background, and I always took "rocks for jocks" type science classes in college.

But a sort of "neck hug" would make sense. I had that feeling when swelling was causing pressure on my throat. Couldn't a muscle spasm do the same thing? A tightening of the muscles around there causing the bubble-pressure feeling on your throat?

Seems possible.

Comment

I guess that does make alot of sense. I have had horrible tension in the back of my neck with the throat bubble. It's still here but not as bad today. I'm glad for that though. It always feels like my meds get stuck in there when I have the bubble.

Although the numbness/ tingling on the left side of my back seems to be getting worse today. If it isn't one thing it's always another.

Comment

My vocal coards get weak and my voice sounds like Marge Simpson, Homer's wife. It used to embarasse me quite a bit, but I've gotten used to it and it's now a joke w/my daughter 'Lisa' and I.

I also have some problems swallowing and a benign but annoying feeling that there's something in my throat when these sx's are acting up.

Comment

have this now

hi there, did you ever find out what was causing your symptoms? i have the exact same thing including the neck/shoulder pain although that's gotten a bit better.

Comment

me too

i too get a banding or tightining feeling in my throat. to the point that i pull at the collars of my shirts like i am trying to un-do it... not helpful by the way.. just a reflex i guess. i have had a "hug" from my chest down before.. that's what lead to my diagnoses. (thought i was having a heart attack...) it is kind-of the same sensation. except to me it's almost more disturbing feeling like i am choking.!.!. And i am also insanly tight through my traps into my shoulders. always have been but some days are terrible.

Comment

Working...
                        X