Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have new symptoms but no active lesions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Because MRI is particularly useful in detecting central nervous system demyelination, it is a powerful tool in helping to establish the diagnosis of MS. It should be remembered, however, that approximately 5% of patients with clinically definite MS do not show lesions on MRI, and the absence of demyelination on MRI does not rule out MS. Also, since many lesions seen on MRI may be in so-called "silent" areas of the brain, it is not always possible to make a specific correlation between what is seen on the MRI scan and the patient's clinical signs and symptoms."
    (From the MRI sourcebook from NMSS)

Helpful?
    *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Comment

Originally posted by golfwidow View Post
      My neuro told me that it can be two years before lesions show up on MRI..........this when I have been having new symptoms and my MRI is unchanged.............has anyone else been told this ???
      Interesting. Considering how long it takes to heal neuro damage - 6 months to 2 years, it makes sense.
      I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I've been definitely having more issues the last year, plus progression in symptoms I already had. So I had a MRI (brain, c and t spine). I haven't had my neuro look at it yet, but according to the radiologist report, sounds like it's pretty much the same as the one I had taken a few years ago.

It was on a 1.5T, I've never had a 3T.

My neuros have always said they treat the symptoms not the MRI, and conversely, I guess an MRI does not define one's symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
          I've been definitely having more issues the last year, plus progression in symptoms I already had...
          My neuros have always said they treat the symptoms not the MRI, and conversely, I guess an MRI does not define one's symptoms.
          Excellent words by your neuros, rdmc!!

My MRI's hadn't changed in so many years, my doc and I agreed to save myself money (that I don't have anyway) and wait until my health changes to do another scan.

I've not had a flare in many years, but I do know damage has been done and my MS is slowly progressing.

I read an article that mentions damage can be done in the same places but appear unchanged, similar to digging a deeper hole instead of a wider hole.

http://www.mscenter.org/images/stori...er09lowres.pdf

Comment

hi you got some great responses...... so i haven't read them all and this might of already been said. My neuro told me that having a "clean" Mri showing no new lesions is good, yet he said that doesnt' mean the disease isn't progressing, new symptoms can occur without new lesions....

he said the reason for this is because our brains are short circuited basically, and so because of that our symptoms change alot due to the different connections that are able to be made, or rerouting that does occur.

make sense? it did to me my last mri was no new lesions either and than he told me this, and he also pushed a dmd with my ldn med
            Jen Dx'd 5/11
            "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I've never heard that golfwidow

Comment

Working...
              X