MS and heart failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and heart failure

Has anyone heard of MS causing heart failure?

I was at the eye doctor the other day and I said, "doc I don't feel well. I think I'm going to pass out." I started breathing really fast and she gave me water which didn't help. They took my blood pressure and it was dropping.

The next thing I remember was seeing the paramedics dragging me across the street to the ER.

The ER doctor made me stay in the hospital. He said, " sometimes MS causes paralysis in the heart muscle."

I've never heard of this. Still haven't been able to see my PCP. I see what's coming. A cardiologist. Oh no! Not another doctor!

Does anyone know anything?

Scary!

Don't be worried about having to go to a cardiologist. Just, please, make sure you're OK!

They'll probably just put some of those round stickies with wires attached to them (can't think of what they're called) on your chest and monitor you for a while. Hopefully, the results will be fine and then you won't have to worry about that, anymore.

I wish you the absolute best!
    [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Did you possibly have an anxiety attack? It is EXTREMELY RARE for MS to cause paralysis to the heart muscle. In fact, I've never heard or read about this happening to anyone (not that it means that it hasn't!). The hyperventilating you were doing probably caused you to pass out.

Talk to your primary care doc to see if a visit to a cardio would be necessary, and good luck!
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Even though it was a doctor who told you that "sometimes MS causes paralysis in the heart muscle," there isn't evidence of that in the medical literature. So that "sometimes" is "extremely rarely." Heart failure has been known to occur in people with MS who have been treated with Novantrone (mitoxantrone), but it's the drug that causes the heart damage, not MS itself. An ER doctor is probably not the best professional to have in-depth knowledge of MS or its effects.

Not to minimize your situation, but you'd be surprised how many people pass out at the eye doctor. Really.

The passing out might have been a coincidence that led to the discovery of a pre-existing heart problem (although you didn't mention what, if any, heart abnormality was found in the ER of if you needed CPR). But for a heart problem -- and the passing out -- to be caused by MS would be extremely rare. It's still possible, but there are many other areas to investigate before it can be attributed to MS. And if the ER didn't call in a cardiologist to consult on your case, it suggests that your PCP might be able to manage your situation without a cardiologist.

Comment

There are so many things that can affect your heart...thyroid problems, metabolism, stress, infection, insomnia, hormones, mitral valve prolapse, electrolytes, dehydration (which affects people with MS when they try to curb going to the bathroom too often)........ Best to have it checked out by a doctor.

That being said and to give you a direct answer to your question--I've had difficulty with my heart ever since my symptoms started two years ago. Had the whole cardiac workup and all they found were minor problems (ectopic beat, PVCs and PACs--which never gave me a problem before.) They didn't feel very minor to me. I also had spells of blacking out and an irregular heartbeat with they didn't pick up on the EKG. HOWEVER, The cardiologist told me that if anything was going on my chest it could cause those things...not necessarily heart trouble. My heart was/is structurally sound according to all their tests. Medically, the fix to minor problems can be more problematic than leaving them alone. Of note though, I have had an extremely strong MS hug over my upper chest ever since the beginning of my other symptoms.

Naturally, anything that affects our hearts can make up sit up and take notice in a hurry. In my quest to gather information I came across these interesting articles. Maybe they will be helpful to you.

I am not a health care practitioner This is no way implies a diagnosis. Just thought you might find them interesting. If research frightens you, best to leave everything in the hands of a capable doctor.

Cardiovascular autonomic function in multiple sclerosis:
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1940968

Cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction correlates with brain MRI lesion load in MS:
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15134718

You will also find a scholarly bibliography here:
          http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Multi...fect_the_heart

This is a little off from your question but may be of interest to you. My Neuro told me that thyroid dysfunction is often associated with MS . I vaguely remember reading an article that linked subclinical thyroid dysfunction to low levels of nitric oxide with the resulting effect of vasoconstriction affecting the heart. Sorry I can't find the article but you might find it if you Googled, [subclinical thyroid dysfunction vasoconstriction nitric oxide] all words at once.

Comment

Sheila, those are great references! Thanks for posting them. I think they do a great job of differentiating MS-related cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction from "heart failure" and "paralysis in the heart muscle." They're not the same thing. The possibilities are too complex to be summed up with "sometimes MS causes paralysis in the heart muscle."

Comment

Shiela, thanks for posting those! I have some minor cardiac symptoms that started when my lupus symptoms began, and, since they vanish when I get a high dose of steroids, my cardiologist said, 'well, it's related to autoimmune stuff so I can't help you'. I have some ectopic beats, occasional runs of SVT, and a little bit of mitral valve prolapse plus a slightly enlarged left atrium. Structurally nothing requiring intervention now, at least, but same kinds of symptoms you describe.

(I also try to read up on autonomic dysfunction because my son's metabolic disorder causes autonomic dysfunction, and he's had benign arrhythmias off and on his whole life.)
              Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

Comment

Glad the post was helpful. I found the other link I was looking for. It is:

Endothelial dysfunction and low grade chronic inflammation in subclinical hypothyroidism due to autoimmune thyroiditis.
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21490407

By the way, The endothelium is the interior lining of the blood vessels and when it is damaged, it can also affect the baroreceptors located in the aortic arch and carotid arteries. They are the mechanism that the body uses to mediate (through the autonomic system) arterial pressure when we make postural changes. If that is not working properly, we feel faint when we stand up. Endothelium dysfunction, it is thought, contributes to arteriosclerosis. Sorry I haven't kept track of all the references on this, so don't take my word for it. You'll have to do the research.

Comment

I am sorry for your experience. I was wondering if they had put dilating drops in your eyes by any chance? The reason I asked many years ago before I got a diagnosis I had this happen and found out I was very allergic to those drops. Had same symptoms as you but my heart rate also got so low they thought they would have to shock it.
                  Definitely be checked by a cardiologist but don't let yourself be too concerned that its heart related. There are many things that could cause this among them an autonomic dysfunction or irritation of your vagus nerve for some reason.
                  Hope you are feeling better.

Comment

Working...
                  X