Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments by one extraordinary DR

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/liv...m-verghese.ted

Here's a little bit about the video from Dr. Bruce Neubauer, Associate Professor of Public Administration at Albany State University, author of a blog called "Health and Administration":

In this TED video physician Abraham Verghese of Stanford University makes his case for the importance of ritual in patient care, saying that technology can become the focus of a physician's attention at the expense of the need of the patient for a human relationship with his or her medical caregiver. He cites the need for a listening to the patient and giving a through physician examination in person as a way of gaining the confidence of the patient in a way that a scans and lab tests cannot.

Highly recommended!

Comment

I just listened very good, and sadly true about the computer screen replacing the patient. Because of the new regulations concerning electronic records, I've noticed that both of my doctors sit in front of the computer screen, furiously typing during my visit. It does seem to cut down on the eye to eye contact because they're putting in info, while talking to me, but at the same time typing it into the record.

I've been to two recent visits with doctors, and when I reflected on both, I did not have a hand laid on me (well when the nurse took my bp and pulse there was.)

Comment

My new neuro is very personable. I just love him.
        He has actually been sued for touching a woman inappropriately, I do know this woman and she has sued multiple people, including other Drs for stupid things.
        My Neuro does touch more than most Drs but it is always on my shoulder, my arm, my knee and it is always a very caring compassionate touch. I have never thought otherwise and it really makes me feel like i have a closer relationship with him and it isn't just a same old clinical visit as I have grown accustomed to. I also like that he doesn't act like he is in a hurry to get out of the room and head off to other patients. He will listen to me as long as I need him to, Very hard to find these days.
        DX 10/26/11

Comment

Perhaps we can evolve into voice activated record keeping someday so the doctor can return to the patient.

Comment

I don't get that at all from any of my docs. One has a touch screen with drop down boxes. We have our usual visit, then at the end he selects all his needed info, just a few taps of the pen on the screen. After that he gives his advice, plan, treatment, etc., and it's over. His med asst. does the intake, reason for visit info that's more typing intensive.

Hang in there. It will get better. Many docs can't type or use a computer, and so they're working on developing and implementing systems that don't get between the pt. and their doc.

Voice recognition is a big part of the whole thing.
            I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
            X