Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your temporary paralysis feel like? Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does your temporary paralysis feel like? Please Help!

I am just curious. I posted yesterday without much of an answer but my right arm would get heavy and weak and my hand would stop moving. It would last 2-10 minutes and when I laid down my whole right side felt heavy and weighted down. Is this typical? I have not been dx yet but have been traveling down the road. It's very scary and frustrating. I have had an MRI of my brain with no lesions, what tests come next? Any help is greatly appreciated!

JennieW,

I think this is a little different for everyone. Some people experience numbness, some feel like their limbs are heavy, etc. When I had paralysis, I was litterally paralyzed, I couldn't move my arm or leg for a couple weeks. But, I don't know much about the paralysis lasting 2-10 mins...maybe someone else on the board has experienced this?

Since they have already done a MRI of your brain, they may order a MRI of your spine as well and will probably do lots of blood work to rule out the other 1000 things that mimic MS, such as Lyme disease, Lupus and vascular problems...

Since they cannot yet see what is causing what you are experiencing, I would think that they would continue testing. Are you still seeing a Neuro or doctor for this?
    dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Yes I am seeing a neuro. Over the past year life has been hell for me with numbness, tingling, electric shocks, tremors, horrible pain in my gallbladder area, migraines headaches, Trigeminal neuralgia, speech problems, and now my limbs going numb, the actual part of not being able to move lasted 5-10 minutes but the heaviness lasted all day with a burning sensation going up my arm, it was like anything that touched it did not feel right and when I took a shower my arm was on fire. I am frustrated with my neuro because every time I go in there he asks me, "what is wrong with you?" if I knew I wouldn't be there. I also had a moment last night where the numb, heavy feeling took over my whole left side, it was like my foot disappeared and down I went. I am so frustrated I was just seeing if anyone can relate.

Comment

Hi Jenny. It is very scary, and very frustrating. It's been over a year since my legs got heavy, tight and slow, along with a loss of coordination. My MRI came back empty-handed too. Then came the c-spine MRI, nothing. And lots and lots of bloodwork. Next to nothing. And this year more blood work and a t-spine MRI, nothing. There have only been a couple of tests show lesions or nerve damage, but not enough for them to identify what it is.

I'm having another episode of weakness, saw the neuro yesterday and was told to come back in 8 months or to call if I completely lost function for more than a few hours. No neuro exam, no nothing. Just call us when it gets to the point you're trying desperately to avoid, and then maybe we can help you.

What tests you have done will depend on who your neurologist is and what symptoms you're having. And sometimes, you have to push to have tests done. Other times you have to change neurologists to get another set of eyes to look at things. Some are more thorough than others, some or more curious than others, and some are more caring than others.

I hope you have better luck than I have. There are all kinds of tests they can do. Two of the most common are NCVs and EMGs, along with the MRIs. And sometimes they look at blood vessels to see if there might be a stroke, blood clot, or other issue. Then there are neurologists that will tell you it's from migraines, stress, anxiety, depression, here take this pill, let's wait and see what happens.

Sorry if my post sounds negative. It is. I'm angry I have to go through this again. But on the up side, things do sometimes go away and stay away for a while. And some very lucky people have them go away, stay away and never return. And then other times, the testing process will reveal health issues you never knew you had that can and do contribute to the overall sense of yuck you might be experiencing. Get those treated and you're one step closer to feeling better.

Hugs and best wishes. May your answers come quickly and be easy to resolve.

I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Jumpin,
          I feel your pain. I am very angry at this point as well. I just got back from my neuro who is going to do an MRI on my spinal cord now. I just want to scream at this point because to me, it feels like nobody knows what I am going through. The doctors treat me like another case and not a human who is suffering.

I am hoping that they find the problem soon, after a year of this I am losing my mind and I want to get better or at least get some of my symptoms under control. Thank you for your post, I am glad I am not the only one who is angry that after a ton of symptoms, feet are dragging and this time it's not mine!

Comment

Years ago when I was a manager at a retail store I had my left arm go numb off and on for different amount of time. My PCP thought is was anixity...now we know it was a little thing called MS. LOL So I know what you mean. I would lose all control of my arm. I would be holding a hanger and drop it, or a $2000 manaquin I almost dropped once (whew for the sales assoc.!!!)

Over the last 2 days I have started to notice weird things with my function. When I wake up I have a hard time telling my limbs to move. I know they can move, they just don't want to move. Then when I fall asleep later for my nap I dread waking up because it seems worse. Takes me a hr or so to get my brain and body to work at the sametime.

Never had it happen like this before. However I'm more tired, more pain, more slow...get the theme so my function could be the start of a flare. I'm also suppose to be starting a new DMD so who the heck knows.

Hope you find answers soon!!!

isamadjul
            (allyson)

p.s. sorry for spelling errors. spell check isn't working for me right now...sorry
            DX 10/10, JCV postitive by a lot (said Nuero lol), Betaerson, Gilenya, Tecifidera, Aubagio now on Ocerevus

Comment

Working...
            X