Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost my job

I feel so robbed by this stupid disease. *crying*

I knew this was coming, as I've exhausted all of my leave time. But it still sucks to see it on paper.

I know you guys can relate.
    Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

One of the most difficult things about MS is losing your ability to work and be self supporting. What are your plans? Unemployment, SSDI?

Who decided on the separation you or your employer? After I exhausted my FMLA, my employer kept me on the books for a year as I kept thinking I would return to work.

Keep your chin up.

Comment

WE can relate

I am very close to having the same thing happen to me. I had to take 6 days off last month with no pay because of symptoms/fatigue. Now it is happening again. Sorry you lost your job. WE can relate

Good luck in your future endeavors.
      Momma to 3 little ones

Comment

You are not alone

I too am dealing with job loss, my boss fired me after 5 years because he said I was a liability. I was not able to take FMLA or go out on disability because my company was too small and we did not qualifiy. I took many days off with no pay and worked many days where I thought I was going to die( due to pain)
        Its been 6 months and I am still looking for work and trying to make ends meet with unemployment...

I am no tsure where you are in the world, but I keep hearing about programs like VESID that help people like you and I get jobs and back on our feet.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from. In June I was laid off from my job of 11 years.

They were nice enough to call me 3 weeks later and off me a job as a contractor making $400 less per month and no benifits whatsoever.

I am not sure if I am being sarcastic or not about saying they were nice enough. I am very bitter at how they have done me.

Comment

I am unemployed

I lost my job due to MS, and I was an RN. I have tried repeatedly to get a job with the same hospital. They refused me light duty, refused my LTD and was forced to go on disability. It hurts, but I went ahead and lost my home, filed for bankruptcy, and now care for my Mother.

Comment

I can relate. (((hugs)))
              ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Boy can I relate!

I finally found my dream job! Then after 2 months they let me go because "I was not retaining the information fast enough for them"...At the time I was devastated..well I still am..I have always taken care of myself. I was just dx last week with MS and everything I have been going thru for the past 20 years makes sense. Now it is time to move on, find Dr's that will help get this under control and a job that is understanding..My question is do we tell our employers that we have MS or do we wait until they warn us we close to losing our jobs? How do we continue to be self sufficient and live a life with out worry? Does stress about these issues cause flare ups? grrrrrr..feeling foolish with so many questions....

Comment

Retired at 30ish

I lost my job also. My former employer said that I had to be terminated in order to receive LTD.

The policy pays if I cannot perform my "own occupation" for two years and switches over to payment only if I cannot do "any occupation" in a few months. I am wary that the insurance company will stop the payments.

My doc says that I should apply for SSI. I didn't think that this would happen so soon. I hoped that I would work into my forties -- at least.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy18 View Post
                    I lost my job due to MS, and I was an RN. I have tried repeatedly to get a job with the same hospital. They refused me light duty, refused my LTD and was forced to go on disability. It hurts, but I went ahead and lost my home, filed for bankruptcy, and now care for my Mother.
                    Im sorry you lost your job, that has to be very hard. Im a nurse and I get so exhausted being on my feet and not getting breaks or lunches. I literally hurt, ache, and am exhausted at the end of the day. How did you realize/determine it was time for disability? How do they determine if you qualify?

Comment

jobs

I am sorry you all have to go thru this. I too am recently diagnosed and have exhausted all avenues thru my job who wont let me come back to work. I believe its the end. Is there anyone else that works in pharmacy that does their job sitting down?

Comment

Working...
                      X