Discrimination - Termination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discrimination - Termination

I worked for a major big box retailer and had a letter stating my diagnosis of MS and the inablility to work the third shift rotation since 2006. I get a new boss and he doesn't like the way the letter is worded, so again I fill out the company's ADA paperwork but now it includes leukemia to my conditions. Long story short I am sent packing and 3 months later I have to start chemotherapy for the leukemia. Now i am in remission but I can not get any money from anywhere. My disability has been denied (too young at 46), unemployment has been denied (unable to work full-time). I am not trying to sound like a complainer or to say "whoa is me". I am wondering if anyone knows of any other actions I can take. I have filed charges against my former employer with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and they were found in violation. Looking to see if I can sue

Seasonal work should be coming in with weather changes. Everything from typing term papers, house/yard work, retail temporaries, ect. Start with craigslist.com and hopefully you will find something. Most labor offices have daily influx of request for temporary workers. I don't know what your skill sets are but wish you the best.

Comment

Wow

I usually don't recommend Attorneys, but I think you need one. Someone who specializes in ADA or employment.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy18 View Post
        I usually don't recommend Attorneys, but I think you need one. Someone who specializes in ADA or employment.
        I think this is good advice especially if you were told that you are "too young" to qualify for disability. Good luck to you.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

If the company was found in violation of the EEOC, then you've got a good shot at winning a lawsuit. And I would, by the way. It isn't so much about the money at this point, as it is a point.

You can't just fire someone for having disabilities when reasonable accommodations can be made... that's the whole point of the Disability Act. When someone makes such a blatant and disrespectful blow off of it, frankly, they need to pay the consequences.

Then of course, there's the fact that you actually need the money.

But me? I'd do it on mere principle.

Comment

as for the money, there are attorneys out there that will take you case for free up front. if you win, you'll need to pay, but that seems like an option at this point.

and as said before, i would also do it on princible.
            Learn from yesterday
            Live for today
            Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Working...
            X