No announcement yet.

What is really handicapped accessible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, since we are talking about irritating things ... I struggle with parking. Some place have the handicapped parking across from the entrance rather than up by the building.

I can still walk, but not very far. I understand that parking closer to the building might not be feasible, but why can't the cut out curb be right by the entrance door(s) and not down at the furthermost end of the curb/sidewalk?

And as someone was saying in another thread, unsolicited, unbiased thoughtfulness from others bring tears to my eyes every single time.
    Karen

Comment

I am an architect and I remember ( when I could still work) the challenges of doing handicapped design. They have so many requirements i.e. "this has to be so many inches from that and that cannot be higher than..." Architects are left with very little room to use common sense when designing for all the different kinds of handicaps.

Long before I was dx with MS, my neck was injured and, since, I have not been able to hold my neck forward. I used to use the ATM standing up on the wall. There was always a wheelchair accessible ATM and one on the wall. Then, ALL of the ATMs became wheelchair accessible (it's cheaper to make only one type). Since then, I have not been able to use an ATM. I contacted the federal agency that handles handicapped guidelines and they said they would take that into consideration in their next review. All that changed was that the ATM machines now have tilted keypads. Not much help for me.

But, what I mean to say in this post is that we do have a voice. We can contact the government agency that sets these guidelines. However, change is painfully slow. The requirements are updated at a snail's pace and, then, they only apply to new construction and government facilities. That means those restroom doors will be there for a long time.

Comment

The agency to contact is Ada.gov. They have a toll free number to call: 800-514-0301.

Comment

handicapped accessible - not!

I have to admit, I had never thought about this until MS took over my life. Now it is obvious that the people who designed handicapped accessible rest rooms never had a handicap or was close to anyone who did. Most of the stalls are fine, but the outside doors are impossible. I'm just thankful for adult pullups for those times I just cannot get the door open in time.

Another thing I've had trouble with is, of all things, doctor's offices I would think that they, of all places, would have automatic doors for their handicapped patients, but most around here do not, and there are often 2 sets of doors to go through.

Comment

Just had to follow up on this one.

Recently changed neuros - I now go to a MS Clinic at a teaching hospital. Found the correct place the first visit (whew) but was informed that they would be moving out of the hospital to a building across the street before my 2nd appointment.

My 2nd appointment was this past Wednesday. The MS Clinic should have been moved a month ago. Well thank goodness that I early enough to get the information that they had not yet moved into their new building and able to get to the hospital office on time.

When my dh mentioned this to the receptionist she informed us that the entrance had to be redone. It was a regular door and wheelchairs and walkers couldn't fit thru it . This at a MS clinic ...

Comment

Working...
            X