Amantadine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amantadine?

Ok,I am currently playing the insurance game with Medicare.
    My neuro Rxed me Nuvigil Wednesday,faxed the RX to my pharmacy. Neuro's office calls today,to tell me scratch the Nuvigil RX,and he added Amantadine for fatigue. OK so I ask what is the med for? Is it approved to fatigue? Neuro says not quite!! It is approved for Influenza A and Parkinson! but he has used it for ms fatigue. He said that he has tried it on a few patients and they do well.

SO I was just wondering if anyone here has used this med for ms fatigue? If so,how long,and how did it work? and What was the main side effect you had while on the med?

Thanks in advance! I'm starting it tomorrow!
    RRMS-2007-2012
    SPMS-2012
    Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
    currently on Rebif

Hello, I have been using Amantadine for MS fatigue for almost 2 years now and it really has helped. I take one pill in the morning and another at lunch time and I'm able to make it through the day at work. I did not notice any side effects from it at all. From what I understand it helps the signals transfer across nerve endings which is why it is used for Parkinsons disease and off-label for MS fatigue. It is the only fatigue med I have tried and it made a huge difference for me. If you try it I hope it works as well for you as it has for me!

Comment

Thanks!! I took my first pill this morning! As far as energy goes,it hasn't worked. However it has made me more alert. So I'm hoping the energy will come after a few days of taking the med!!
      RRMS-2007-2012
      SPMS-2012
      Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
      currently on Rebif

Comment

I unfortunately broke out in a rash after being on this med for a couple of weeks! Love my Nuvigil when called for. I only take a 1/2 pill occasionally when needed.
        Brenda
        Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

I've been taking Amantadine for two years.
          It won't kick you like a mule, its more like I'll feel the fatigue if I forget to take it for a couple of days.
          The only downside for me has been constipation, just drink more water each day and you should be fine.
          Amantadine works on MS fatigue because, well, they really don't know why. Its a secondary effect for MS fatigue BUT a lot of MS patients take it. Just keep in mind that Amantadine is really an anti-bacterial med.

If you're into pro-biotics in your diet, be aware that Amantadine is an anti-biotic and all those healthy bacteria might be facing a big loss. This isn't anything dangerous for us, but if you're paying extra for pro-biotic foods or suppliments you might be wasting money.

Comment

Initially the Amantadine worked well for me at the same dose you are currently taking. After a while it stopped working though. Tried another medication but even on a non therapeutic dose I couldn't sleep. So now I am on Strattera and doing really well. Started it over a year ago and my fatigue has not been as bad.

Amantadine was odd with the dosing. If I took it too later either I could not sleep or more often had bizarre dreams.

Comment

The constipation is not a problem.. I have severe ibs but it is more diarrhea,than even normal bms!! So that could actually be a plus!

The whole not sleeping,night mares may be a problem tho.. I have severe insomnia and PTSD from my past!! OH well i guess at this point I will put up with just about anything to not have to put up with the fatigue!! lol

And here it is almost 10 pm,and ive taken my sleeping meds,but still wide awake,yet my body is exhausted!!
              RRMS-2007-2012
              SPMS-2012
              Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
              currently on Rebif

Comment

I took Amantadine for a few years. Didn't jazz me up, just made me more alert as you described. It's action was subtle. I was never sick taking it as it has anti-viral properties. Loved that, I felt invincible as far as viruses.

If you have trouble sleeping adjust your dose to earlier. For me, it helped for about 4 or 5 hours. I didn't have trouble sleeping with it. Good luck, let us know how you do on it.

Comment

I slept awesome last night.. good deal. I got up at 5 am again,but laid back down and slept for a few more hours! I was tired....

so i took my 2nd pill this morning at 11am..i was alert,but tired. It has been a lazy weekend here,all cloudy out and everything!

But i am hoping tomorrow when every one is gone,I can get some much needed cleaning done!!
                  RRMS-2007-2012
                  SPMS-2012
                  Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
                  currently on Rebif

Comment

Nothing

Originally posted by Alyms79 View Post
                    Ok,I am currently playing the insurance game with Medicare.
                    My neuro Rxed me Nuvigil Wednesday,faxed the RX to my pharmacy. Neuro's office calls today,to tell me scratch the Nuvigil RX,and he added Amantadine for fatigue. OK so I ask what is the med for? Is it approved to fatigue? Neuro says not quite!! It is approved for Influenza A and Parkinson! but he has used it for ms fatigue. He said that he has tried it on a few patients and they do well.

SO I was just wondering if anyone here has used this med for ms fatigue? If so,how long,and how did it work? and What was the main side effect you had while on the med?

Thanks in advance! I'm starting it tomorrow!
                    I was given the Amantadine to replace the Nuvigil (which worked). I've taken as many as three and they do absolutely nothing. I hate Medicare; we are stuck using the cheapest drugs and many are not doing the job. I took Nuvigil for a long time successfully so it is very frustrating. I even asked the pharmacist what it would cost to pay privately for Nuvigil and it was $300+ for 30 days, up to more than a $1000.00 for 90 days.

(No I couldn't get it at that rate!)
                    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I've never tried Amantadine but it's nice to know there are other options. After being on Modafinil for 18 months my insurance has decided they won't cover it anymore despite two extensive appeals by my doctor. It's awful the control insurance companies have over your life and well being. How do they say I meet the criteria for it 18 months ago and say no now. The criteria hasn't changed at all and I've only gotten worse. It's terrible.

Comment

Working...
                      X