ADA accommodation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADA accommodation

Does anyone have an accomodation at their job? Did you provide documentation asking for one. I am currently on STD and when I return to work I intend to ask for an accomodation. I am just unsure on the best way to proceed. I understand how it all works, I just don't know if I should write it up as a memo? have my doctor sign it?

Here is a link to the ADA web site it may have your answers but if not there is a toll free # near the top that you can call and they should be able to answer it.

http://www.ada.gov/q&aeng02.htm
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I wrote it as a memo to Human Resources. I had to start using a scooter and could not get in the door of the office building. It was very stiff and hard to open, and would just about close on you. I would have to wait for someone to hold it open.

I found that they were very cooperative, pursuing the issue with the building management.

As an interim solution, they gave me the cell phone number of the security guard, then within a few months installed automatic door openers. All my co-workers trying to get in with briefcases, laptop bags, and coffee cups just loved it.

I think it helped that my disability was very obvious.

Comment

My company handled my request very well and quickly. i called and talked with our HR Dept head and told her how the heat in my office impacted my MS.

They came and tried to fix the air the next day, that didn't work so they went and a bought a stand alone air cond, then made a hole to the outdoors and viola, no more heat problems. It took about 48 hours to get it done. They have had other employees with MS so at least I am not the trail-breaker.

Comment

Your job should be accommodating...with the legalese word "reasonably" attached to it. I was on STD for about 1 1/2 months while being diagnosed after my attack. I had requested (after talking to my neuro) to be able to “work from home, as needed” and for “periodic rest breaks” to manage fatigue. I know of companies have provided types of accommodation like noted in the earlier posts, to supplying Vitamin D lights Your job may have even better accommodations.

You HR department or STD people may have a form for your neuro/doctor to fill out and send to them. They should have sent this to you, if not, you may want to reach out to them. It is probably called a “return to work form”. Make sure you get something in writing from you doctor, especially if you are disclosing your diagnosis. This will help you stay protected and help you justify your accommodation requests. Your work may want to revisit the Return To Work periodically as well.

Make sure to check out the ADA website like Scooter24 suggested as well.
          dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

Your having been on STD may make it easier for your Company to see the need for accommodation. The more they like you the more they will do.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
            X