Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you know you are having relapse symptoms

Hi everyone....

I'm sorry to seem as if I just can't grasp this... dx last week after a year and a half of neuro saying it was MS just couldn't officially dx until the brain lesion showed up.

Anyway, have symptoms that have never gone away since my first attack but I have had new things wrong with me. Is everything blamed on MS or how do you know that its a relapse or just something else wrong with me on top of everything else? I'm so frustrated with this
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

With RRMS, most of us get to a point where we have certain symptoms in between times, but when a relapse flares up, we get more symptoms, worse. When I'm starting a relapse, I generally feel it build up over a couple of days, although I had one relapse this year that was atypical, I didn't have my normal relapse symptoms, I just had one new symptom.

And it's a struggle, for me, trying to figure out when something is MS and when it's not. Did I sprain my ankle because I lost my balance and fell, or did I just step the wrong way (that was a fun one)? Am I achy this morning because I slept funny, or is my MS acting up? You get the picture. With some things, I automatically go to my pcp first - like checking for a UTI before calling my neuro to report a flare. Some things, like spasms in my back, its a tougher call - I have fibromyalgia, so back spasms aren't rare, but if I'm spasming other places, I usually attribute it to the MS. And with the spasming, regardless of what's causing it, the treatment is the same - as it is for other things, like sleeping problems. Luckily, I haven't had too many problems show up that haven't been MS related.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Hello and welcome. Sorry that you are here. The good news with having an official diagnosis is that you can do some treatment.

You should speak with your neuro about what they recommend. If I have a new symptom that lasts more than 24 hours, my neuro wants me to report it to his office. This doesn't mean that it is a relapse or that we will treat it, but he wants to be kept informed and wants these notes in my medical records.

If the symptoms last more than 48 hours, it might be considered a relapse and we may choose to do some treatment depending on the symptom severity.

I would highly recommend reading up on this board, and searching in the forums. There are many posts just like yours asking this same question and everyone here gives good advice.

Good luck with your MS journey.

Comment

Working...
      X