No announcement yet.

Foot Surgery Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, lydialou - I'll keep all you said in mind. I already went to one years ago and he did "diddily-squat" - except give me an ill-fitting orthodic insert.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha

I know about diddley squat. I feel that the first doc I saw had that as one of his bedside manners at the end of our relationship.

I even check out the medical license of the doctor's I see. I read about where they trained. I check everything out everything I can find.

Just because they say they specialize in feet doesn't mean that they really have the training to do that.

I ask those awkward questions like "How many of these do you do a year" What is the success rate of this procedure for you. They should know that. Right?

I also tell them I have MS which is on the medical forms that you fill out but I make sure that they are aware.

Good luck!

lydialou

Comment

Thanks again - I was wondering about revealing MS. Sometimes I'm hesitant to mention it because, (and this has happened to me before) they dismiss or overlook the root of the problem and say, Oh, it's just MS. Know what I mean? Clearly this is not a MS issue, IMO. Oh well, I'll probably say something. I'll be walking in anyway with my cane or rollator and there will be questions, I suspect.

Take care now and heal quickly

Comment

Well Seasha-I told the first ortho and his response hit me wrong. He said something about whether I was afraid to have surgery because I might have a relapse. I think I bit my tongue so I wouldn't say -"well duh yes" He said if it would make me "happy", he would talk to my neurologist. His body language just hit me wrong. Like my concerns to him were not important.

I told ortho number 2 that I went to for a second opinion that I wanted him to know that I had MS. He looked me straight in the eye and said that what was wrong with my foot had nothing to do with MS. I told him that sometimes people change how they feel when they find out you have MS. He said "not me" I was ok with that even though he was the kind of person whose whole presence seemed to fill up the exam room. I thought he would call a spade a spade.

The third opinion ortho I told, too. I said "I want you to know that I have MS-optic neuritis in my left eye. Sometimes people treat you differently when you tell them.I've been in remission for years" and then gave him my 1 minute MS brief history. He said "I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me about your MS. And I want to assure you that your foot problems have nothing to do with your MS." And I stayed with him.

Good luck with your upcoming visit. I hope everything goes well for you.

lydialou

Comment

After foot surgery u do need the physcial therapy of ur foot and it is bit lengthy treatment u so u have to be more patience.........
            Armando

Comment

Hi lydialou ~

I went to see a orthopedic surgeon yesterday. I really liked him, altho I wish my dh was there to decipher what he told me. Had too many technical terms to describe my problems!! Essentially, I probably should have had surgery years ago to correct really bad bunions, but with working full time, raising babies, etc. I didn't think I'd have time to be off my feet. So, the damage has been done. He didn't think I'd be a good candidate for surgery b/c I have bad circulation in my feet (Raynaud's) and tog. w/ MS, it would take as long as 4 months to heal!!!

Loooong story, but the bunions and the way I walk has caused structual damage and the tendons are stretched out (or too tight?) to cause pain to my ankle....he gave me a ankle brace and will have prescription orthodics made - and the good news is that they will be the kind they make for ppl with diabetes with soft cushion soles! I'll return to see how it works. With neuropathy in my feet to boot, I'm a mess Thanks for listening and hope things are getting better and better for you

Comment

Seasha I completely understand about putting off the footsie surgery. I certainly did because I knew I couldn't go back to work in a week or so. And I hated to use up my sick days when I might need them for something serious that might happen.

I am glad that you found someone that you liked. They do use a lot of terminology sometimes that I am not familiar with. My last two were great explainers which was great. I have heard about people using their phones to tape the conservations as a voice memo so they could go home, hear it again and look up things. It sounds like he had some options for you. Although they were not answers to make the problems go away, maybe they will provide some assistance for your feet. And perhaps things will be better because you will be providing your feet with orthodics and so forth.

Have you ever had physical therapy for your feet? Did he mention that? I am not a doctor or therapist, but I do volunteer in that department at one of the local hospitals and I have seen some MS folks as well as diabetic folks get some PT that has helped them out. One thing that I have seen a number of times is Anodyne treatments. The machine has these flat rubber pieces with metal pieces on one side. You lay the metal part on various parts of the body (depending on what they are working on-mostly I see it on feet). Usually two are on each foot. You then wrap the foot in saran wrap (yep heard me right-saran wrap) and the machine send electrical impluses through the rubber pieces back and forth through the foot. It lasts maybe 45 minutes. The people who I know who get this say it really helps the numbness in their feet. They say it feels kind of tingley. And health insurance covers it. So maybe when you see him again, you could ask if physical therapy might give you some relief. Like maybe the anodyne treatments. Or water therapy or something. Where I work, they also do acupuncture and folks find that to be helpful, too even though it looks kind of ouchy but really isn't at all. It is also covered by insurance. Go figure. So just mentioning something else to maybe investigate.

Be sure to let me know how things continue to go for you. I am taking very little pain med now-yippee. Night is pretty much so the only time I take the prescription meds. I either do Advil or use ice or change positions or put on my boot or take off my boot. I am happy to be feeling much better. Walking very much in crutches certainly gives you a workout-I must say. I have great upper body strength now!

lydialou

Comment

lydialou ~ I've never heard of anodyne treatments, but it sounds promising! I'll ask next time or talk to my pcp about PT. I've seen my accupunturist about my feet before and it has helped temporarily. That's another thing I can do that I forgot about!! So glad that I have you to talk too and thanks again. So glad too that you are weaning off the pain meds - that's a good sign!!!

Hugs, Seasha

Comment

Hmmm physical therpay is the best option for this i have personally experienced this but its quite expensive and bit lengthy treatment so u have to be keep more patience.....
                    Armando

Comment

Armando-I do remember from my first surgery that foot recovery takes forever. I am not terribly patient about getting well. My first ortho did not send me for any PT but since I volunteer in PT, I ask some of my friends about things to do and managed to get my foot-considering it was not fixed right-back to speed. It did take about a year.

And Seasha-it seems like most of the folks who had have the Anodyne have been referred by various kinds of physicians from ortho to family practice folks. I am glad I could suggest something that you might look at. Have you ever done TENS (it's an electrical device that you can use in PT or your insurance co might purchase one for you to use at home) My hubby had one following his second shoulder surgery and it helped a lot. His insurance covered it, too. I have seen it used in a variety of places on the body.

Maybe your feet will be a lot happier in the future!

lydialou

Comment

LydiaLou

Wish I would have started reading this thread earlier. It's great how your foot surgery has come outI tried to get a bunion fixed in 2004 but the bone was too crumbly for the surgeon to get the wire inserted. The toe now sort of sticks up.
                        I went to a podiatrist yesterday to see about getting a new insert that didn't hurt to wear.
                        He pointed out why this one (a year old) hurt so badly.
                        We had torn it apart so I could use the soft part of it in my shoes.
                        I am so happy to find this doctor!
                        And I am so glad to read this thread.
                        Once I get the insert back I think I will be able to enjoy walking my dog again.
                        techie
                        Another pirated saying:
                        Half of life is if.
                        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                        Dogs Rule!

Comment

Woo-Hoo! It's time to celebrate!

I went to orthopaedist yesterday and my foot is looking good outside. More importantly it is looking good inside. That means I can toss the crutches which have been my constant companion for 49 days. I can start walking on my foot. I can use the short boot. And hooray! I can put on the sneakers and walk in them.

When we got home, I dragged out my wide sneakers from the first surgery and tried to put them on. My toes and my foot are kind of stiff from the lack of use and still swollen so I was having trouble getting my foot in. I finally was able to do that but my hubby thought we should go and see if maybe I needed a different size. So we did. We have a great hometown sports/tennis store where they actually can "fit" you as well as some high tec equipment that can help out. The owner put me in a 9E which is wider than a 9D and it felt much better. Then he swapped the insole and tried 4 different ones to make sure I had the one that was best for my current condition. By 5, I could walk in the boot with no help from crutches. By bedtime, I could walk in my sneakers with no help. I do have a cane which I used a little until my "sea legs" started working. And when I ran errands today, I took it in case I started feeling fatigued.

I can walk and down my stairs. Yea.

I am so excited. Tonight my foot is tired and I put the boot back on-the PA told me it would give my foot a rest and it does. I walk kind of stiff but it sure feels good to be on my feet. It is amazing that I don't really have any pain from where the hardware is.

I can also get in the tub and get my feet wet and let them stay in the water. Yea again. I plan to celebrate by sitting in my soaker tub with the jets on tonight.

I go back in 6 weeks for a re-check. I will have to work on my walking during these weeks. I guess I will be back to humming the 'Battle Hymn of the Republic' which is the best song for keeping you walking even.

Thought y'all would like to know.

lydialou

Comment

Well, it's been 11 weeks and 5 days since my surgery and things are still going well. Every day my foot seems better. Yea! I can wear a smaller shoe-now a 9D-formerly a 9E. I can wear my winter crocs inside as slippers or to give my foot a break from my usual sneakers. I have discovered I can walk barefooted on my hardwood floors. Another yea. Last night I found that I can wear my Reef flip flops which makes night bathroom stops a lot easier.

Yes, my foot is still swollen some. Yes, my foot still has some stiffness. It pulls a little in my scar area but that is getting better as I work on the scar tissues. But my foot is doing great in my opinion. It's a miracle! I never thought it would look and feel this good. I am so glad that I found such a wonderful orthopaedist. I see him again next week.

I volunteer at PT at my local hosptal and they gave me a few exercises to help with stability and strength. I do them on a bosu ball. Every time I go, it is better.

This is the best Christmas present ever!

lydialou

Comment

Hi lydialou! It's great to hear your update and know you are getting along well I went to an orthopedist finally and was told that operating on my feet was not an option. He thought I wouldn't be a good candidate because of MS ?? Also because I have poor circulation in my feet.

So I got special orthopedics for my shoes- the soft sole kind with lots of cushioning for the neuropathy. They take up a lot so room, so I had to buy new shoes to fit! So far this has been an expensive ordeal, but the good new is that I am pretty much pain free and even my ankle is better Seems like correcting my feet alignment made all the difference. When I don't wear shoes, I have a new ankle brace that helps too.

Comment

Yea for you, Seasha! I am glad you have found something that will help your feet feel better. 'Cause when your feet are not alright, nothing is alright.

I am seeing improvement every day with my foot which makes me think yippee! I can actually wear my pre-surgery sneakers, put on and wear my flip flops a little, and even walk in barefeet across my hardwood floors (which is good in the middle of the night). I am working on some foot exercises that one of the therapists showed me how to do which has also helped my foot and go to the gym twice a week to do them. I plan to see the orthopaedist on Thursday and plan to ask him to send me to physical therapy. I think my foot will regain its strength and flexibility better with therapy than me working on my own without a plan or the training to insure that everything that needs to be done will be done.

I am still working on my limp. When you limp for over 5 years, it's harder to break the habit. I have some stiffness and soreness. And my arch has some "pulling" going on which I figure is normal since the muscles were cut and redone. I really don't have any pain any more. Yea. Some places on my foot have not regained all the regular feeling back but that takes a while, too. My toes are beginning to work again. Yea.

I will let you know how things continue to go! Let me know about you and your feet, too.

lydialou

Comment

Working...
                                X