Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to find the right word or saying the wrong word - I'm losing my mind!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first off, welcome to all you new faces!!!!
    i am 44, and also have this issue. my wife doesn`t like to have long conversations with me because, "i don`t have enough time for you to finish a sentence". the kids tell me to "spit it out". i also loose my train of thought in mid-sentence or a word as i`m about to say it!
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I am 61 and friends my age have the same problem and do not have MS. I really have trouble keeping up with friends that speak rapidly and make a 5 minute story into a 30 minute novel. I also have a friend who jumps from topic to topic in one 5 minute conversation at work. I just nod my head and agree. Don't have a clue what she is talking about most of the time. I know I have these problems because of MS but living in the world today is so fast paced that no one takes the time to really listen. Hang in there.

Comment

I am 45, and have been battling this for nearly three years. At first It was noticeable when writing. I have been a lifelong writer and I was suddenly incapable of remembering words, or finding them. This and the cognition problems have stopped my writing for good.

As time went on, it became an issue while speaking. It comes and goes and I def notice it is worse when I am stressed or tired.

This was one of the reasons I had to stop working in customer service. It was embarrasing when I would say the wrong word when reading addresses to customers etc.

I took coconut oil for a while and it helped tremendously. The first day I took it, I came in and talked to my husband for ten minutes straight without breathing.

It causes me to have issues with constipation, but it works.

Some studies show aricept helps as well, but I really do not want to take it right now. I find taking my time and speaking slowly helps a bit.

All we can do is just learn to deal with our issues, laugh at them if possible, and enjoy every single day!

Lbj

Comment

A Speech Therapist Can Help

You are not losing your mind and there are ways to resolve this symptom.
          I get this with each major attack (unable to come up with words or say a similar sounding word with a different meaning- ie "calender" for calculator or "ummm that... right there... has legs... you sit..." for chair, or "ummm I can't think of the word" followed by a deer in head lights look before hanging my head in embarrassment).
          I was diagnosed 2 years ago after my 2nd attack with the same symptoms including this one. My neurologist sent me to a neuro-psychologist who recommended a speech therapist to address this issue. The speech therapist said there is a way to remap the brain for word retrieval through speech therapy exercises.
          Unfortunately, I can't tell you how great the speech therapy exercises are and how my word retrival came right back because I didn't do them.
          I can tell you I didn't do them because I started taking adderrall (recommended by the neuro-psychologist to address my fatigue and my ADD) days before my 1st appointment which seemed to cure the symptom immediately. That this symptom stopped when I started taking adderall was either a very happy bonus or a sheer coincidence.
          Good Luck, I hope you find a method that helps you.

Comment

Spitting it out ..

[QUOTE=hunterd;1316525]first off, welcome to all you new faces!!!!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS]i am 44, and also have this issue. my wife doesn`t like to have long conversations with me because, "i don`t have enough time for you to finish a sentence".

I too except it is my husband who doesn't like long conversations with me. He also stares at me in silence and says "don't look at me like that, I just told you, didn't you listen?" I do listen but I forget what he said that quick. When he starts saying it again, then I remember and say OK, now I got it. This is soo frustrating and I am starting to not want to talk with people unless it is short and sweet. I really do pay attention, I just get off track once in a while, ok maybe more than once, lol. Thanks for letting me know I am not crazy and I will have to tell my Neuro nect time I see him in Sept.
            STR

Comment

Have had a little brain og today (actually the last couple of days) and so a bit more trouble finding words. Anyway, we went out to dinner and the waitress came up and said "Welcome" and instead of saying thank you, I said "welcome" back.

She probably thought I was a nut. I just chuckled and just enjoyed my dinner.
              Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

This sounds like something I would say bammaw...lol

We are caring for 2 abandoned kittens right now and I told my daughter the other day..."Grab the baby girl and take her into the bathroom so we can give her a ball"
                and after I said it I backstepped and said..." I mean a um um um" while snapping my fingers and thinking really hard...and my daughter giggling profusely said..."you mean a bath Mom?"
                Yes a bath...that's the word....I'm glad I can amuse my children at least...lol
                DX 10/26/11

Comment

This is interesting! FTI, lemstar (a speech/language pathologist) has started another post giving some helpful tipss. I'm 62, so age has a lot to do with this, I think. Combined with MS, you get a double whammy.

But, one thing I feel that's been helping me a tiny bit is Ampyra. Have been taking it for about 4 months now and it's not helping my walk at all, but I'm noticing improved cognitive abilities along with increased energy. I can't think of anything else that's making this better as it's the only thing I'm taking now. Who knows? Something has changed! I still have some embarrassing/frustrating moments while trying to communicate, but they are less often.

Nice to know we're all in this together!
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Yes, where has that word gone? There you are in the middle of a sentence and suddenly a complete blank.
                    The person you're talking to is looking, and waiting, and looking and waiting while you're running through your mental index system trying to find the right word, or even a word that might fit into the sentence.
                    It's horrible. Bodes well for the future.

Comment

Hi Oso - welcome!

I seem to experience this more and more, and what's really been frustrating to me lately are the problems with typing on the computer....I primarily type/edit reports (was/am a "speed typist"). Not to mention even typing an email -- I find I review often before sending, and make a lot of corrections so that sentences are phrased more clearly. Even posting things on here at times, I see a little word not meant to be in the post that pops up after I have sent...**sigh**.

-- Sara
                      Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

word-blanking...

I'm a teacher, and once my principal was observing me and I went totally blank on a word...I was horrified as the seconds ticked by while I'm silent in front of the class...then, I was stuttering possible synonyms frantically trying to make sense; luckily, she was writing notes and never noticed !!

I also hate it when the wrong word just pops out....every time there's a meeting, I say it's time for the movie.

I've also stared for minutes at an object; my daughter's bike helmet when she was little; asked her to take that thing -that thing off of the coffee table. And this started when I was 30 years old !! ( now age 59)

The blanking out is the worst -I've found that if I force myself to breathe and relax, the mystery word comes sooner.

You are NOT alone with this ....just another one of the "joys of MS"

spring
                        spring

Comment

Lemstar- I'm 51 and have the same problem as many of us do. I've gotten so frustrated with myself when this happens. I slow my speech down hoping it helps when I talking to people I don't know well. My family and I go on little "trips" when I try to make a point about something or try to remember something from childhood. We give each other clues and we finally arrive at our story. LOL

I wish us all the best...

Allison

Comment

this has happened to me before too.it seems to happen a lot for a few weeks, then it goes away for awhile. it happens more if I am thinking about something and looking at something I tend to say what I am looking at rather then what I wanted to say. its really annoying, I am not sure what can be done about it, but know that your not alone.

Comment

My problem used to be finding the right words but now

I say things that I am no longer sure are part of English while I know they are (or are close!). For example I was telling my husband about a baby I saw while in line at the bank. She was so cute and could barely walk, maybe 11 months or so...anyway, she was standing there holding one of the rope poles that make the aisle. I was telling him how she had one of her feet on the base of the pole and the other on the floor but what came out is 'one of her foots'! Then I tried to play it back to find the words. I finally used 'feet' but in my mind, there is no file folder for that word. I know that sounds crazy but it is the only I can describe it. So I replaced one of her feet with other examples I knew to be true... 'one of her arms', yep file for that, 'one of her eyes', yep one for that too, but when I replace 'arms' and 'eyes' which I KNOW to be correct with 'feet' there is NO folder! I only know it to be true because I cognitively know grammar very well that you use the plural. It is truly the strangest feeling! Then I said 'looking very forward to' which I stu bled on because I knew it wasn't right but couldn't find the folder! This is so scary for me, having been so sharp mentally my whole life. So the best thing for me and my MS is this website, because at least I know I am not crazy:-)

Comment

I get so frusterated because my 73yr old husband is the least patient of all. He fusses at me about saying the wrong word and confusing "other" people. I try to only communicate by Email when I can.

Before I was DX I was watching Golf with my husband and he told me to keep track of the score while he left the room ( been watching for 40+ yrs)! But when he came back a few min later I could not remember anything about it. That was when we both knew something was wrong!!!

I tell people Please be patient as I have "MS" and have trouble finding the right words. THEY ARE ALWAYS very nice and understanding. More than my Hubby!!

I also fall asleep, all the time, like while trying to type this post..I HATE THIS!!! My PC put's me tosleep!!!
                                Sissy

Comment

Working...
                                X