Tena, Poise, ect... Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tena, Poise, ect... Help!!!

Alrighty.... So since my doses of steroids, I have been having trouble with my urinary incontinence... (figures, after the survey is over :P )
    Now I am wondering about the different brands of supplies that are available. What are the difference between them... And really, what are the difference between those products and regular Always pads??
    Any help or insites would be amazing!!!!

Tena & Poise are specifically made for bladder control issues so their absorbancy is different than Always which is made for menstruation. It is similar to using a panty liner for regular menstruation instead of Always - it'll work, kinda but not the best.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

KalikaLily

My favorite are the Tena Pads, because they are much easier for me to get the wrapper off of them than the Poise! (my fingers aren't very nimble)

Take care,
      KoKo
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I use the store brand of Poise and like those OK. I have not tried the Tena.

Comment

I've tried mainly the store brands, I figured it's not something I'll keep on long, I'm just gonna throw it away... and I notice those suckers are starting to get expensive. Luckily, the oxybutynin is starting to work and it helps a lot. I have used Poise, though and like them , they are fairly comfortable (as these things could possibly be ) comfort is a biggie for me.
          The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

I use Stayfree pads which are for periods. They have a deodorant in them that makes me feel as though people don't smell me when I am in the restroom. I have light incontinence and can get by with the light pads, not panty liners. They come 40 to a pkg. I used poise which were identical in thickness and length but after and hour or so if I went to use the restroom I felt the pad smelled. Maybe it is just a problem I have but urologist said I am fine. If I leak more I can always use a thicker pad and now that they use a wicking process, I never feel wet against me.
            "...the joy of the Lord is your (my) strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Comment

Hmmm thanks ladies!
              I bought a few different brands today and will start trying them out at home.
              Have any of you used like the tena underwear you can buy?? I am curious as to how comfy those are! ( or vice versa of course!)

Comment

Hey, I just wanted to say that I started off using Poise and Tena, but ended up switching to Always with wings, b/c of the wings. They just seem to stay put better, I was always afraid the others were going to fall out, lol. I will say there have been some chafing issues, but all in all they seem to work out better for me.

Comment

This is complicated! northshore med has a good website to understand these thousands of products. Many just don't work. I had to spend two months bed bound last year and learned a LOT!

IMO:

Best overnight pull on briefs are hands down Abena Abri-flex.
                  Daytime, probably silhouette are most comfortable but TENA more reliable.

However, TENA, just launched new packaging for overnight pads that were great... well they changed the product as well and they cost more and do not work.

Amazon is a great place for reviews. I always check the 1 stars to see if its a product or shipping issue etc. and how many 1,2,3,4 or 5 stars. Most products with only three stars or higher are awesome in my experience.

I love shopping Amazon. This would be a great discussion to help each other sort through the myriad of products to save time and money.

Also, most companies will send samples to try. This is a good idea...HDIS did this for me.

I hope this helps, I'm looking for pads to replace TENA.

Nothing is Impossible.......

Dx'ed in 1988
                  Founded MSWorld in 1996

Comment

Great Post!

Thank You. Very interesting. I agree with you though haven't tried the panties. Most of the pads fall short unless you have a pretty minor problem. Was wondering if anyone has tried the pads for periods. They are cheaper, but don't know if they are 'right'.
                    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Originally posted by kat
                      I hope this helps, I'm looking for pads to replace TENA.

I've had some recent experience with searching for a comfortable bladder control pad.

Here's what I found concerning Poise pads. I used to use their light pads, they were fine. But in recent years, my bladder became more unpredictable, so I used the moderate control pads, and tolerated them, but they were not comfortable and seemed to bunch up. So I read some reviews and they said that the maximum absorbancy (5...their highest absorbancy is 6) long pads were the most comfortable, and they were right.

They're thin, much thinner than the moderate, almost as thin as the mild pads, and no bunching up, maybe that's because they're longer.

I will say that my bladder issues aren't consistent, so maybe they'd feel differently if I was having more leakage. But I do need a pad that can handle it if my bladder just decides to "do it's own thing" and the
                      maximum absorbancy will take care of that.

During the summer (it's in the mid to upper 80's now and will only keep climbing from there) my bladder rebels. I learned early on in my MS journey, that one of my heat mediated symptoms is bladder control. If I get too warm, my bladder takes on a mind of it's own. Most of the other times, I have pretty good control...but not taking any chances. Gone are the days when I trusted my MS bladder to behave.

Comment

KoKo

Ditto to KoKo's comment!

Diagnosed 6-28-14
                        RRMS
                        Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                          I've had some recent experience with searching for a comfortable bladder control pad.

Here's what I found concerning Poise pads. I used to use their light pads, they were fine. But in recent years, my bladder became more unpredictable, so I used the moderate control pads, and tolerated them, but they were not comfortable and seemed to bunch up. So I read some reviews and they said that the maximum absorbancy (5...their highest absorbancy is 6) long pads were the most comfortable, and they were right.

They're thin, much thinner than the moderate, almost as thin as the mild pads, and no bunching up, maybe that's because they're longer.

I will say that my bladder issues aren't consistent, so maybe they'd feel differently if I was having more leakage. But I do need a pad that can handle it if my bladder just decides to "do it's own thing" and the
                          maximum absorbancy will take care of that.

During the summer (it's in the mid to upper 80's now and will only keep climbing from there) my bladder rebels. I learned early on in my MS journey, that one of my heat mediated symptoms is bladder control. If I get too warm, my bladder takes on a mind of it's own. Most of the other times, I have pretty good control...but not taking any chances. Gone are the days when I trusted my MS bladder to behave.
                          Same experience with the Poise pads, although my bladder rebels regardless of the weather.
                          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                          X