Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embarrassing falls/accidents - what's your?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassing falls/accidents - what's your?

This morning I poked by rear end with my knitting needle!!!!! After waking up I came out of the bedroom and went straight to the couch as I was feeling a little bit unstable. Plunked down hard right into my ball of yarn with a knitting needle sticking up! I couldn't pull it out so yelled at my dh to help. He yanked hard and it finally gave way. Said it went in about an inch (and if any of you knit, it was a size 8 - not to large, but not too small either). So, there I was with a hole in my bum and it hurt! I felt so STUPID With some advil & hydrogen oxide & bandage I'm OK. It went in thru the fleshiest part, thank God!

We were going to go swimming in the river on this warm day, but didn't think it was a good idea. So, here I sit (gingerly) and wondering if any of you have had some stupid or embarrassing falls - how about it?

I wasn't sure where to put this. but maybe we can all laugh at ourselves as I am now. Really, it'd be funny, but it hurts!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Yowza! That had to hurt.

Have you had a tetanus shot recently? I only ask because you have a puncture wound, and that's a perfect portal for that particular bacteria. Not trying to scare you; just making a suggestion.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Do you think I need one if it was a wooden needle? It hardly bled. Not sure when I had a tetanus shot - it's been years. And to think I was using this needle to make an infant cap for my first grandbaby-to-be!!

Comment

Hi Seasha:
        OUCH! Keep an eye on that wound, and I'll tell you why. My comments aren't about embarrassing falls, they're about puncture wounds and bacteria.

You were SO wise not to go swimming in the river with an open wound! That would have been inviting nasty bacteria and organisms into your body through an open door.

Tetanus isn't a major concern with a knitting needle, since the bacteria that cause tetanus live in soil, general dirt, standing water, animal feces and other biologically beautiful yet simultaneously disgusting places. Unless you've been using your knitting needles to poke around in your yard or clean the cat box without washing your hands afterward, you probably don't have to worry about tetanus. It might be as good idea to check with your PCP, though. If you're taking any immunosuppressant meds (like Tysabri, Gilenya or Imuran), you SHOULD check in with your PCP.

What you do have to be aware of are omnipresent bacteria like staphylococcus aureus. Various strains of staph and other bacteria and fungi are on skin and in the environment, and you never know when they'll get transferred from hands to knitting needles to seemingly harmless wounds. A puncture is basically an injection of whatever organisms are on the object and on your skin. So keep an eye on your "bum puncture" and be very aware of how it feels. DON'T go swimming anywhere for a couple of weeks, keep the area clean (especially important because of what the buttocks enclose!) and get to your doctor IMMEDIATELY at the first sign of abnormal swelling, redness and/or pain.

So much for leaving pointy objects on sitting surfaces! If nothing else, you'll have a great story to tell your grandbaby later about what happened when you were knitting that cap!

Comment

Thanks, Redwings. In fact I do go out in my garden daily and even though I do wash my hands afterwards - (although sometimes not thoroughly), I will pay close attention....or my husband will ! I really can't see it. I'll also check with my pcp and see when I had my last tetnus! btw, I'm not telling the kids - they might not want their child wearing that knitted cap -lol

So, now...anyone else have embarrassing incidents? Hopefully, not as painful

Comment

Not so embarrassing but funny

I was going out the kitchen door into the garage and lost my balance. I fell backwards into the recycling bin butt first. My rear was in the bottom of the recycling bin; my arms and legs were hanging over the sides of the bin. I was like a turtle on its back. I couldn't get out of the bin. I just started laughing. I was a site to behold. My DH had to pull me out. Luckily, I wasn't hurt.

Comment

My favorite one is when I was helping out at a MS golf tournament last year, I was handing out door prizes after it was over, I picked one up and was walking across the floor to hand it to the winner and the old footdrop jumped up and got me, I proceeded to fall and let go of the prize as I did, the guy who was getting the prize caught it in midair and when I got up I said to the crowd " That is everyday MS and that is why you guys are here today to help us get rid of it" they all laughed and gave me a round of applause.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I was on a business trip and our conference room got moved so our entire staff (my peers AND my boss in tow) started to pick up our laptops and coffee and start walking to the new room.

Picture me with my laptop in one hand and coffee in the other. 7 people walking in front of me and my boss and 2 others behind me down this long factory looking hallway.

My legs gave out and tripped me up causing me to lose my balance. My laptop goes flying (almost picking off one member of our staff. He looked and saw a laptop flying by) and 30 seconds behind my laptop was my cup of coffee (spraying a nice sheen of runway...which I'll get to in a minute)

30 seconds later comes me. Full face plant where I couldn't even break my fall. I skidded through my coffee runway like I was on a slip n slide and came to a halt with legs, face and arms flat on the ground (like Bambi on the ice pond).

By the way, all with light khaki pants on which was great for the presentation I was about to give. The best part...my boss had the visual of this entire thing from the rear so he didn't miss a thing. I can laugh now but was mortified at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
                  My favorite one is when I was helping out at a MS golf tournament last year, I was handing out door prizes after it was over, I picked one up and was walking across the floor to hand it to the winner and the old footdrop jumped up and got me, I proceeded to fall and let go of the prize as I did, the guy who was getting the prize caught it in midair and when I got up I said to the crowd " That is everyday MS and that is why you guys are here today to help us get rid of it" they all laughed and gave me a round of applause.
                  Oh, Scooter24 - what a classic and what a great comeback and what an appropriate place!! Hope you laughed along with everyone

BJG55 - yours is funny too! Isn't is great that we can laugh at ourselves when we get in these predicaments?

Today the muscles in my bum are really sore from my plop onto the needle - that's how deep it went! I found out that my tetanus shot is current, so that's good.

Comment

About 3 months ago, I fell down our front concrete steps.

It must have looked bad, because two passing motorists stopped to see if I needed help. That was nice.

Banged up but nothing broken. I am banned from those steps now by my wife

Comment

Working...
                    X