Working visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working visa

just wondering if its possible to get a working visa for oversears (i.e. UK) if you have MS? Do you have to disclose your condition when applying? Can you choose not to disclose?
    thanks!

I was given a work visa for Canada and they never asked, but Canadian immigration isn't nearly as full-on as UK immigration.
    Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

thanks. may I ask how did you sort out medication (if any) for when you worked in Canada then?

Comment

I'm very fortunate to have maintained private insurance in the US - my parents paid until I was able to pay for myself after I started work after college. Long story...

Anyhoo, both when I lived in the UK for grad school and in Canada my mom collected my meds and Fedexed them to me.

That was really complicated though. I saw my neuro whenever I'd come home to visit and my mom was very kind to ship meds to me. It would have been a bit of a pain, but much cheaper to get a neuro in either London or Vancouver and get my meds through them, but I'm a creature of habit.

Sorry my story's so complicated.

Good luck!
        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Is it an immigrant or non-immigrant work visa?

In the US, only three questions are asked of non-immigrants coming to work temporarily. One is, "Do you have a mental of physical disorder that poses or is likely to pose a threat to the safety or welfare of yourself or others?"

Obviously that's a pretty broad question, and if you answer no but appear before the consular officer with obvious disabilities, then some questions are going to be asked and you may be denied.

You also have to be able to do the work you have been petitioned for, so if it appears you will not be able to then that's another reason to be denied.

It's much more stringent for those who intend to come to the US to work permanently. If you wish to know about specific foreign countries, check with their equivalents of the State Department.

Comment

Hi AussieTigerLily,

I think Australians can work in the UK without any fuss providing they are under 28. Places like STA should be able to give you advice there.

If you need more info, just call the British Consulate in Canberra.

Another tact you might consider is, you can usually work in the UK if you have ( or can get) a passport from any of the EU countries. Australians can hold duel citizenship.

Comment

Working...
            X