Need a lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a lawyer

Hidy everyone! I am new to MS World and was hoping I someone could refer me to a good disability lawyer in the Fort Worth, TX area. I am fighting (through an appeal) my group short-term disability insurance company and my neuro recommended I contact an attorney to help write a letter to the insurance company since I only have one level of appeal.

I have MS but do not have any "new" lesions that are currently causing me problems but I have the everyday hell of headaches, backaches (from spinal lesions and bulging discs) and leg spasticity and not to mention fatigue. So, my neuro is having a hard time showing "proof" of why I should be out on disability at this time. He said everything is "subjective" and a good disability attorney would know how to word the letter to the insurer.

So, anyone that can give me a reference to a good attorney in my area, I would really appreciate it.

Just curious. Who is your diability insurance through?
    Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

We have a disability lawyer who volunteers his time answering questions right here on the forum "Questions about Social Security Benefits". It's all the way down our long list of available forums, under the sub-heading of Employment and Disability Issues. You could also go to www.ssa.gov for some answers. The main criteria to get disability from the government is your inability to work at any job.

Good luck.
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Hi Webbles - the insurance is Aetna.

Jazz - thanks for the info. I called our local NMSS and they gave me two names of attorneys. I spoke to one of them on Friday and his fee was going to be $502 per month for 10 YEARS! I don't know how he figured it but I was on board with everything he said until he said his fee and how long I would have to pay that. geez.....

I am needing help with a private insurer...not SS so I'll keep searching.

Thanks!

Comment

Hello,

I completely agree with jazzgirl's reply..

Comment

There is a big difference between LTD insurance and social security and the lawyers generally don't specialize in both.

Don't use a social security attorney if you are trying to get short or long term disability.

If your insurance is paid for by your employer is not a private insurance. Generally the employer sponsered insurances run under the ERISA law so obviously the attorney needs to be specialized in that, but check your benefit package and read your insurance contract. (They normally require that you apply for social security later on and if approved will deduct that from your benefits).

I have used an attorney for various disability issues and have always insisted on paying by the hour. Some attorneys are fine with that some not. But you should be able to find one to write that letter and simply pay for that. By the way the attorney does not really need to be in your state to write a letter.

You might ask for a referral at this site:

http://www.disabilityinsuranceforums...es.cfm?catid=4

Comment

very informative

Comment

Anything For A Buck...

One of the many things that I learned, is that insurers do not like to view MS as a disability.

The mere fact that you need a lawyer is testimonial to a system that is either broken or misleading.

There will be a lawyer out there that will be able to help you on a contingency basis (he gets paid when you do).

Do not fret, your efforts shall bare fruit.

Comment

You do not want an SS attorney for an employer sponsored plan, but rather an attorney that knows his/her way around the ERISA law. The attorney does not have to be in your state to give you advice on how to fill out the forms.

I would fill out the forms myself and hire an attorney to look it over and tell me what should be corrected.

I have used an attorney to look over letters and forms I have had to submit and it was well worth a couple of $400/hour hours.

You do not want to screw up the appeal as you may only get one chance. That $500/month for years is outrageous.

This site has some good info for starters www.disabilityinsuranceforums.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X