MS and dental problems?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and dental problems?!

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed an increase in dental issues since being diagnosed with MS.

I have always taken very good care of my teeth. I go to the dentist twice a year, floss, brush, etc....and have only had 2 fillings.

When I started Betaseron after a few months in, my dentist said my tooth enamel was starting to chip, she was asking if I had acid reflux or drank a lot of soda (which I do/have neither).

Since then I have had multiple issues with my teeth. Several fillings, root canal, general pain, etc. I asked my neuro and he said MS in no way has anything to do with dental issues. Yet, I have searched online and have noticed several people saying they have had problems too. My dentist had also said that she has another MS patient and that she has similar problems with her teeth.

Anyway, just wanted to put this out there to know if anyone else is going through this or if I'm just over analyzing things.

One final note, I am now off Betaseron, trying to sort through some things so that I can take Gilenya.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

This topic comes up from time to time.
    I really think its more about age than MS.
    If you're hitting your 40's or 50's, that's a part of the trouble.
    The only other obvious link would be sleeping more or feeling more tired which could lead to less dental health (brushing and flossing).

Comment

I'd never had a cavity in my life until a few years ago, just after my celiac disease dx. My gastro and dentist attributed this to two things: 1) acid reflux from constant urping (highly technical term!) and 2) very low vitamin D levels resulting in thinning enamel. It took about two years for things to normalize.

The only "problem" I noticed with MS is almost complete numbness on the left side of my mouth (tongue, lips, gums, everything) since my last relapse. It's convenient during dental work on that side! They still use anesthetic but I don't feel the injection at all.

Comment

MS does not cause dental problems, however, medications can
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Everyone, docs and so called experts says that there is no corellation, but I blieve there is. My teeth wer always okay, but are really bad now. I have had to have many pulled. My problem is also gum diease. The bones are bad so I have nothing to hold them in place, but more cavities than usual and just general problems. I know with age this happens but I do not think it happens as quickly as I have had.

Let us know if you find anything with correlation between the two.

JudySz

Comment

we have to listen to our selves

So many people are telling us "that is not linked to MS". I was diagnosed in March, started Betaseron in April.

NO dental problems ever in 50 years, and now my teeth are starting to show issues.

There is no way you can convince me that there is not a link, either the MS or the Beta.
            You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Now that I've been thinking about it, I do remember ready about a study that was looking at the correlation between inflammatory factors and gum disease/other dental problems. I think the University of Michigan was the main study center. Try searching pubmed.

I thought about signing up for the study but having an autoimmune disease was one of the ineligibility factors.

Comment

Tooth Pain

I have had pain with one tooth for a long time. I'd say I've had three to four x-rays done on that tooth area over the years, and the dentists say they can see no problem. One night last week on a pain scale of 1-10, this tooth along with another tooth that started causing problems two years ago, the pain was at a level 5. Some nights before I go to bed I put Anbesol on those two teeth areas hoping I can sleep through the night. My new neurologist last week thought prescribing Gabapentin would help with the tooth pain along with other MS-related nerve pain problems. That drug has helped the tooth pain level to be 1-2 at night. I'm thinking of setting up a consultation appointment with my current dentist and suggesting he either research this problem or refer me to some dental professional who would put in the effort to look into it.

Comment

Working...
                X