BRISK REFLEXES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BRISK REFLEXES?

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE REALLY BRISK REFLEXES IN THERE KNEES? I ALMOST KICKED NEURO MY LEG WENT SO FAR!WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Hello Donna

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE REALLY BRISK REFLEXES IN THERE KNEES? I ALMOST KICKED NEURO MY LEG WENT SO FAR!WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
    Yes, I do! - and these were found initially on my very first neuro exam (12years ago).

Hyperactive reflexes may indicate a spinal cord lesion (not necessarily MS - other spinal cord conditions could be the cause also.)

There is a number given when the brisk reflexes are found, such as +2, +3, +4, +5 etc. The higher the number, the more likely there is some spinal cord involvement.

With +4 and +5, there are usually sustained, repetitive movements, also called clonus. This has something to do with the nerve receptor signals traveling the spinal cord and going to the muscle/tendon.

Hope this helps a little.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks koko,
      But isnt that bad? Why didnt neuro do an mri? That means i have a spinal lesion? sorry im a little nervous.what is sustained clonus movement? do all people with ms have that reaction with the knee reflex? and does it mean there is a lesion there?

Comment

Hi donnainct, I think the best person to ask why a MRI wasn't done would be your neuro!

As far as all with MS having hyperactive reflexes, this too is hard to tell as we are all so different with placements of lesions. We were just talking about this a few days ago.... for a lighthearted approach to kicking your neuro and other things, read the post "Lol @ Docs and their in-office exams" Not meant to be offensive, just taking the edge off

Take care!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks seasha,

I just was wondering,maybe neuro didnt feel i needed an mri. ILL just keep on truckin lol

Comment

Donna

But isnt that bad? Why didnt neuro do an mri? That means i have a spinal lesion? sorry im a little nervous.what is sustained clonus movement? do all people with ms have that reaction with the knee reflex? and does it mean there is a lesion there?
            Brisk reflexes doesn't necessarily mean MS, nor does it mean you have a spinal lesion. Brisk reflexes can be caused by other things, such as medications or anxiety/nervousness.

When the reflexes are extremely brisk, they're called hyper-reflexes. The neuro can grade the reflexes as 0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5.

With the higher numbers, there can be clonus. I have the sustained clonus movement. When my knee tendon is tapped, my leg kicks out, then it keeps jerking several times.

Does this make more sense? Sorry if I've confused you.

Take care,
            KoKo
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by donnainct View Post

My neuro knows to check my reflexes from the side...ha! ha! My leg reflexes have been fast for 15 yrs!!!!!!
              Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

Yes. I have brisk reflexes too. I always thought that was a good sign. My doctor said it is a bad sign. She didn't explain to me what that meant.

Comment

I had brisk knee reflexes for a year or so (and about kicked my neurologist off her stool!), but then they went back to normal, though at my last appointment I had no reflexes in my right knee at all. I also never have any ankle reflexes. And I have at times had brisk arm reflexes too.

Is it normal for them to come and go like that?
                  Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                  Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                  Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

absent or demensioning reflexes ?

I just read that thread on brisk reflexes and I have the opposite problem. My numbers from my hips +2,legs ankles +2,knees +2,arms +3 . with sensory damage in legs,feet,arms and hands. I'll be doing a repeat emg this Weds. and a mri w/wo contrast of brain ,c-t spine on aug.1
                    I was unable to do the heel leg touch test or the finger to nose test (tremors).
                    So I'm dx. with RRMS and lupus (SLE) hughes syndrome,vasculitis . These are just the main problems I have.
                    Am trying to be brave but clearly something is wrong. Has anyone here know of why this could be happening? I know that ya'all aren't doctors but maybe someone here can give me a clue as to what this might be . My Neuro isn't saying much now.

Thanks all

Comment

I'm sorry I was trying to start anouther post . Somehow it got contexted with yours . I'm sorry not try to hijack your thread. My appologies.

Comment

info on reflexes

Here is some info on reflexes, with the grading scale. Still trying to find a site that explains reflexes a little better.

This is from New York University School of Medicine:

http://cloud.med.nyu.edu/modules/pub.../reflexes.html

This is from US National Library of Medicine, NIH site:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK396/

Take care,
                        KoKo

Comment

Thank you Koko
                          I was misinformed thinking that it was +2 being a problem and its the +3 -5 or +1 thats the problems areas . So I'd disregards me +3 and +4 reading thinking that it was normal. Makes more sense now.

Comment

donnainct

Donnainct

Hopefully we didn't cause your thread to get too far off track. It stimulated more questions about reflexes. Thanks for starting it.

Lightkeeper

I know that ya'all aren't doctors but maybe someone here can give me a clue as to what this might be. My Neuro isn't saying much now.
                            It's always best to ask the doctor, but..........my doctor is like yours, and won't always explain things very well, even when asked.

Take care,
                            KoKo

Comment

I was just reading that they call this hyperreflexia . It can happen with people with problems in the spine or autonomic nevious systems. Please excuse spelling.

Hyperreflexia is defined as overactive or overresponsive reflexes. Examples of this can include twitching or spastic tendencies, which are indicative of upper motor neuron disease as well as the lessening or loss of control ordinarily exerted by higher brain centers of lower neural pathways (disinhibition). See Autonomic dysreflexia.
                              Causes

The most common cause of hyperreflexia is spinal cord injury (see autonomic dysreflexia). Standard stimuli like the filling of the bladder can cause excessive responses from the nervous system, such causes are not known.

But hyperreflexia can be developed via many other causes, including medication and stimulant side effects, electrolyte imbalance, serotonin syndrome and severe brain trauma.
                              Treatment

Treatment depends on diagnosing the specific pathology causing this symptom. Should it be caused by use of stimulants or other substances, then it may involve removing these drugs from use.

Comment

Working...
                              X